Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Have you strained your oil using gravity only?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Ozbruz, Jun 29, 2020.

1. I don't have access to a strainer right now to strain my oil batch.

Usually I'd have a garlic press and I'd squeeze the nugs to get the oil out.

Has anyone just left their soaked buds on top of a mesh screen and just came back to it the next day? Using gravity to slowly drop all the oil/alcohol out.
    Doy you think it would get everything out if I leave it overnight, or should I stick to squeezing with some sort of pressing instrument?

2. Losses are to high to strain.
    Powder the buds and leave the dust in the oil.

Decarb 240 F for 40 minutes uncovered
    5 grams Kief or Hash or Powdered Buds
    1 tablespoon Coconut oil
    1/2 teaspoon Lecithin
    Heat 220 F for 20 minutes
    Freeze (optional)
    Heat 220 F for 20 minutes (optional)
    Done

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    BNW

3. I think it's more likely whatever alcohol doesn't quickly run off the buds will evaporate rather than slowly drip off overnight.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Hmm good point. That means the oil will stay in the buds and need another wash.

I'll have to be more creative lol

5. Yeah, two washes and press out your second wash or give it a good squeeze and toss the rest.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Is hand squeezing with rubber gloves a good idea? Never tried it.

Not a fan of cheese cloths tend to lose too much good stuff

7. I don't think hand squeezing is going to work well at all. I've never used cheesecloth, I just rinse with a bit of fresh alcohol and toss when it stops dripping. You could probably squeeze out a little more but with your second wash there isn't that much oil left.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Your best strategy is to not strain at all, which is likely to make your stuff 20%-50% stronger.
    Failing that, I think your idea to gravity strain will work well.
    Maybe even better than regular straining.

When making alcohol tincture, I let the mixture settly for about 1/2 hour, and it nearly completely separates.
    Then I can pour off 95%, and it has almost no herb in it.
    Tall, narrow containers work best.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Not strain at all, meaning keep the soaked buds in the tincture?

I will try your method next, I didn't grind the buds this time!

10. Sorry, thought this was oil, not tincture.
    Decarbed herb powder can be left in oil, not in alcohol tincture.
    The gravity method to do most of the straining is what I do.
    Then the sludge can be re-washed to get the remainder.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sure, I've had great results just gravity dripping 5 or 10 minutes (no overnight). It will be fine, don't worry. :)

If you want to feel super non-wasteful, there are things you can do with the herb that's left after draining (like make a second batch of weak edibles).

• Like Like x 1
  12. The thing is it costs like $50/500ml of 190 here, so I wanna obviously maximise the initial yield, and try and avoid second washes.

So would you just pour your tincture over some mesh and let the wet buds just drip? I feel like squeezing would get more?

13. I had strained two jars by sucking out the tincture with a large syringe. Then I left the remainder in the jar and the remaining liquid separated from the weed. Got that with the syringe.
    Left the lid off the jars and let weed dry then mixed into PB. I little hit or miss, but I was guesstimating the doses, but nothing wasted. And better than anticipated.
    Do not clean the jars and next batch should liberate anything stuck to the glass.

• Like Like x 1