Have you guys ever seen this?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by lukas002, Apr 30, 2010.

1. #1 lukas002, Apr 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2010
    What type of medium; soil or hydro? soil
    What brand and type of soil? FOX FARM OCEAN ORGANIC
    Indoors or outdoors? IN
    What strain? OPIUM AND STUPER SONIC
    How old are the plants? 8 DAYS SINCE SPROUT
    What type of lights and how many watts? 1 42 WATT, and 2 18 watt, one is a 2700k rest are 6500k
    How far from the lights? 1 inch
    What is your watering frequency and source of water? I water lightly 3-4 times a week, with a high PH TAP WATER, since they started curling I lowered the ph of tap water. to a 6.8 or little less.
    What, how much and when was it fed? NPK? No nutes yet,
    What is the medium/runoff pH and PPM if in hydro?
    What are the temps and humidity in the room? temps are 80 degrees, 40% percent humidity.
    What size pots? 2 inch in diameter ( fast food cups)
    Any bugs? Look real close. NOO
    Any other pertinent info?
    I am 8 days into it. As you can see the one on the far left has already closed up, why are my plants closing up like this? I'm pretty sure the ph is too high, since I've been watering with tap water (with a high ph like over 7) HELP! they weren't like this a few days ago, before they were spreading, but it seems to be a nute lockout?????

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Hey man I'm not 100% sure what I'm seeing, but imo it doesn't look bad. FFOF has a neutral PH so I don't think it's that. Maybe that one got stressed when planted or something. I once had a plant that had the seed-shell stuck on it as a seedling and when i took it off, the plant's leaves grew sorta weird like that.

3. yeah I didn't think it was too bad until, that one on the far left closed up almost completely and the other one started to do it, the leaves were more extended before. I'm really worried, I just flushed them with a water that has a ph of 6.8....

4. #4 superbherb, May 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2010
    hmmm... do you try letting the tap water sit out with the lid off to evaporate any chlorine etc... I have never even had to check PH actually. I use a milk gallon that I fill then keep the lid off for 2 days before watering plants. That may be your problem. 6.8 is a little high, I'd put it around 5.5-5.7. PH down and up can be bought at any garden store... not sure of exact price, but it's cheap. Also, how often do you water? Too much or too little can sometimes cause funny leaves, but nute lockout is a PH issue. sorry man, but they can be fixed so don't trash them!!!

5. You definitely do NOT want to use pH 5.5-5.7 (don't know if that was a typo, but it is way too low), it should be around 6.5-6.8.

Also, you should not be watering lightly and frequently. You want to water heavily and infrequently. :) When you water, make sure you thouroghly soak the soil until water starts coming out the bottom of the drainholes in your pots (make sure you have drainholes). Then don't water them again until at least the top 2 inches of soil is dry.

Sometimes pH issues will take a little time to resolve themselves. If you were using unadjusted tap water it was probably a very high pH. Make sure you keep your water within the right pH range from now on, you've already flushed which was the other thing I would suggest. Also, when you start adding nutes to your water those will change your pH so you have to check it after you add all your ferts and things to the water and adjust accordingly.

6. It looks to me like it's reaching for the light. How far is your light from it?

7. On second thought just go buy a 600 watt hps I had the same problem when experimenting with lesser wattage lights than my 600 hps

8. ha ha yeah my bad it was a typo! Im reeeal thilly:smoking:...like all the time thilly

9. lol, I read that and i was like wtf?! haha, thats not right. But yeah man I adjusted my tap
    water with ph down to about a 6.7 and flushed my precious plants. They looked better almost immediately, and after 18 hours of light they grew exponentially! I was worried i might loose them, anyways. Noob mistake for not checking the ph of the tap water! I figured it was neutral, cuz that's what it said on the internet....their are so many wrong answers on the internet, haha but also right answers.

also, since i flushed my plants, does that flush all the nutrients out of the soil?, in other words should i start thinking about adding nutrients early then planned? because I was going to wait 25 days, before my first nute, It's been 11 days since SPROUT.?

10. I don't think it will flush all of them out, but as long as they have started growth again you could probably feed them every other watering. You just really want to give them 1/4 strength nutes to be careful.

11. You shouldn't have to feed them anything only 11 days after they've sprouted. There will still be plenty of food left in the soil to go with your original schedule.

When you do start giving nutes, though, do what superbherb said and start with 1/4 strength, then work your way up slowly to full strength.

12. Update with pics on these plants that had a ph problem, Note: I also cut the extra cup so the plants would be more exposed to the light, thats why they may look different.

[​IMG][​IMG]