Have you ever noticed?

Discussion in 'General' started by bjh1414, Feb 2, 2013.

1. This is going to be hard to explain, but i want to be "set" for ever. When i say set im talking about satisfied and done away with. For instance, eating. You can be full and happy one minute, then 4 hours later you are back to hungry, and this ends up costing money and time. Same goes with EVERYTHING. Life in general is filled with these things we must update on. This got me thinking, what if you could reduce all of those things. Very deep idea, i hope someone understands what i mean. sad thing is, im 100% sober right now.

2. Well until the human race evolves to not having need for food, water, shelter, sex etc, then your idea of a utopian individual is never going to happen.

This isnt really a "deep" idea, your just asking for humans to be ultimate beings, and not have need for anything physical that keeps the body going.

3. see im not just talking about food, air, water, sex, etc. im talking about having to fill out paperwork, having to change the oil in your car. EVERYTHING needs updated, and we constantly have to waste time doing it...

4. #4 A AnoesisOrange, Feb 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2013
    Ah yes, the ole perpetual need for satiation and sustenance dilemma. That's a tough one.

Oh, never mind, I see. Well until we forget about the past and the future, and do so as a culture, things will need to be "updated." If we learn to live in the present, and the fact that the future and past are only projections of the mind, we can ween ourselves off of this frivolous need.

Sorry I got a little out there but you started it.

5. #5 8ight, Feb 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2013
    Those things are what give meaning to life. If you don't need to work for food, don't need to clean to enjoy a clean home, don't need to study to learn... well, then there's no purpose to your life.

If you sit around all the time and accomplish nothing, you will get depressed, even if you THINK you're doing fun stuff (like watching TV all day, playing video games, etc). To get rid of those things is basically removing the source of fulfillment from your life.

I'd bet that Americans are generally far more depressed than people living in more self-sustaining countries. We just walk to a store to buy food--there's no meaning in that. However, when you actually search and hunt for food, it becomes a much more significant part of your life. Now, I'm not saying we should shut down grocery stores and start fending for ourselves... but the idea of becoming more happy the less work you do is just wrong IMO. If you aren't doing something fulfilling, you're going to feel depressed regardless.

6. I think we are on opposite sides of the same coin.

7. i enjoy oil changes... gives me a reason to work on my car that i cant afford to do anything else too.

8. this is 100% true, playing video games used to be my favorite thing to do so its all i did. now im depressed, severely socially anxious (you have no idea how hard it is for me to try and get a job), i have like 2 friends, and the worst part is i dont even really enjoy games all that much anymore...

i have been wanting to pick up fishing as a hobby to get me out of the house and also regain that connection with nature. the only thing stopping me is the $40 license to do it...

9. feel you on that one

10. yes! as much as i love playing video games, i've realized that they create no sense of fulfillment for me. so while going all out and gaming for an entire day is fun... it leaves me unsatisfied and feeling depressed. we need to feel a sense of accomplishment to truly be happy, and while games are fun, they don't provide that gratification.

doing things like gaming is not bad though! the challenge is just learning to manage our lives in a way that we don't dedicate our time towards such meaningless (yet fun) tasks--balance is key, as with all things in life.
    :hello: