have you all heard about the buddah boy?

Discussion in 'General' started by weedzilla420, Nov 28, 2005.

1. hey gc,
    i've seen mention of this in the news lately and thought i'd share. apparently in nepal, there is this young boy who is believed to be the reincarnate of Buddah because he has been sitting motionless for 6 months under a tree meditating (allegedly w/o food and water). sounds kinda farfetched to me but here is the article for your reading enjoyment:

http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=3&art_id=qw1133075526563B251
    Nepal to probe mystery 'Buddha' boy

By Gopal Sharma

Kathmandu - Authorities in Nepal urged religious groups and scientists on Sunday to help solve the mystery of a meditating teenaged boy who some believe is an incarnation of Buddha.

At least 100 000 devotees from Nepal and neighbouring India have flocked in recent weeks to a dense forest in south-eastern Nepal to see 15-year-old Ram Bahadur Bamjon, who, his associates say, has been meditating without food or water for six months.

Shanta Raj Subedi, district administrator of Bara, 150km south-east of Kathmandu and where the boy is meditating, said he had requested the Lumbini Development Trust, a Buddhist panel, and the Royal Nepal Academy of Science and Technology to get to the bottom of the mystery.

Boy is breathing normally but is weak
    "We want to investigate claims that the boy has survived for so long without food or drink," Subedi said.

Bamjon sits cross-legged beneath a "pipal" tree, which is sacred to Hindus, with his eyes closed in meditation. He does not speak and followers are only allowed to see him from a distance of 50m.

The young mystic is hidden from public view at night behind a curtain drawn by his followers. Doctors observing from a distance have said the boy is breathing normally but is weak.

Local journalist Govinda Devkota, who has visited the site, said the boy sits with a shawl across his chest from armpit to shoulder, in the same posture as Buddha is shown in pictures.

The number of visitors had reached up to 10 000 a day but fewer people are going to the retreat now, he said.

"He sits motionless from dawn to dusk when visitors are allowed to see him. This demands something," said Devkota. "But whether he is an incarnation of Buddha, I have doubts because we don't know what he does at night. This must be investigated."

His mother, Maya Devi, the same name as that of Buddha's mother, said Bamjon, the third of her seven children, is a quiet boy who kept aloof from friends.

"Initially, I was worried about him. But now I am happy. He is in devotion to Buddha," Devi told Nepali daily, Rajdhani.

Siddhartha Gautama, who founded Buddhism, was born a prince in Lumbini, a dusty village in Nepal's rice growing plains about 350km west of the capital Kathmandu, over 2 600 years ago.

He attained enlightenment at Bodh Gaya in the eastern Indian state of Bihar that borders Nepal.

2. that is crazy, but some must be a little exagerated but who knows maybe he is buddah

3. Interesting, it's amazing if he's gone that long fasting while meditating.

4. I don't believe it's possible to be a reincarnation of Buddha, for once you reach enlightenment your journey on earth is over.

5. Oh come on! we know he munches on leaves every time someone turns their back haha ;)

6. doesn't mean the first one to be enlightened and teach what he learnt cannot come back, I've read plenty of books that none dismiss this idea. And even that tibetan book and living and dying doesn't suggest it cannot happen. Although I haven't read it for a while. I'm still skepical though

7. He smokes and eats all night, hahahaha

8. um, how the hell can someone not eat or drink water for six months and still be alive? the human body cannot function without water or food for six months....sounds like some more religous bullshit to me...sorta how statues of the virgin marry "cry" blood...all bullshit.

9. Hidden behind a curtain while he eats and drinks. He is breathing normally but is weak, and they can see and tell this from 50m away?

He sits motionless, because he is most likely a statue or wax figure. The real kid in most likely watching TV. What a sham.

10. WHOOO! It was all I could do to stop myself from falling on the floor in laughter.

Let's see...he's hidden from view half the time...doctors aren't allowed within 50 meters of him...

How fucking gullible can people be?

My guess, his father, mentor, whatever is behind it. They want power, money, or something that they would get if he was believed to be the reincarnation of Buddha.

It's clearly a scam, I can't believe that people would actually believe something so obviously fake...

Imagine what would happen if someone in NYC sat under a streetlight and claimed to be Jesus...wait a minute, that probably happens every day...We Americans may get a lot of flak for being 'ignorant,' but at least we are smart enough to ignore these religious fanatics trying to convince the world they are some sort of leader.