Have I killed them already?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by CrazyboutRights, Jul 1, 2009.

1. I have most of the supplies for a beginner's personal crop. Some pots, good dirt (+perlite) seeds etc. I germinated, drained the soil, planted, bought lamps (the cheapest I could find, at good will :eek:) but I found out too late that they were halogen and that that light does not grow veg or flower. I did get one sprout, the other two are by the window, since I had some success I haven't given up completely, but as times are tight, and I spent up my budget already, I was hoping for the cheapest suggestions, and any advice that anyone has. I don't currently have pics, not that there is much to see :(.
    I have read the forums fairly extensively and I see a lot of websites that I can order from, but so far the cheapest I have found is a local store $5 florescent bulb and about $10 for the case/plug wall mount thing that holds it. I'm sure that's the best I will find, but any extra advice will help. Have I already ruined my crop by allowing so much time go by in essentially darkness?
    This is my third attempt at a "hobby grow" I am clearly doing something very wrong. This is my most committed attempt, and with the other two I got further faster, still only ending up with very tall semi-soft stalks with tiny leaves on top. I think lack of light is my main issue, but if anyone knows this as a tale tale sign of something else(s) please let me know what I keep fucking up!

2. You aren't going to have much success without the proper lighting. At the very least you are going to want to pick up some compact flourescents (CFLs) which can be had for less than $10 for a pack of three. You want the cool blue or daylight bulbs for veg and the warm or soft (yellow) bulbs for flower. A good rule of thumb is about 100 watts per plant. Keep in mind that most CFLs are 100watt equivalent but only ~25 actual watts so it would take 4 bulbs to equal 100 watts. Unless you grow outside there is no getting around the need for good lights.

3. Thank you! That was very helpful. I don't think my plants are beyond saving yet if I get some lights. :)