Have a scrog question

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by doobydoo420, Feb 21, 2009.

1. I'd go for 2 in 5 gal. That's 10 gallons of root volume, compared with 3-6 gallons with your other option.

May take you a few grows to get that kind of yield from 2 plants x 5 gal, but definitely doable.

2. hhmmmm.....maybe ill go with 3 5gal buckets. even if i did 2 in5gal. and each plant has a screen thats 2sq feet?

i havent really seen anybody post how much they yeild from scrog's so im not sure.
    shadow shooet said he got just over 2oz from his 1 plant and he was disappointed.

3. this is not a problem for me because I am doing hydro in a bubble bucket. To flush, I just drain my res, rinse, and fill it with fresh clean pH adjusted water.

To be honest, I had not considered the inconvenience of flushing a fully-established scrog in soil in that regard and you bring up a good point.

4. Do as many plants as you can support with your lighting. I was about to reply, "the more plants you have the less time you will spend filling up the screen," but then I remembered the screens are mounted on the container so more buckets = more screen area.

My first grow was in soil and was not scrog, it started with 17 plants all germinated at different times.. in tiny cups.. There were three of us living there and it was a sort of community effort, I don't think we really planned on taking it through to flowering. The plants were transplanted many many times, changed environments many many times, got new lighting... they had a rough start but we tightened it up toward the end.. They vegged for probably 2 months or longer but were still pretty small. We grew them in miracle grow in 3.5 gal pots (eventually) and eventually transplanted 12 of them outside in a clearing deep in the woods. Well, two of the six we kept and flowered indoors were males and were killed.. So four plants.. miracle grow.. two of them were dankness (bagseed, we named the dank ones Mr. Marley and #9), those were also the greatest yielding. Altogether we got about 2 ounces off 4 plants which is clearly a disappointing amount. But we all learned a lot about growing and it was a great experience for me.

But yeah I would hope to get about 1/2lb off my two plants in scrog bubble buckets :) I think it is definitely achievable! Go for it :)

5. You can pick up a cheap one at Lowes/Home depot for about 30 bucks....it will work great. The larger ones will run you $50-100 and will make it easier since you won't have to empty it as many times.

6. oh yeah...and if it is out of budget for you....just buy it.....do your flush....wipe out the shop vac and take it back to the store for a refund.....they will take it back no questions asked and you can own it for a day or two to get your flush done.

7. haha looks like sci-fi knows how to get work done! lol

im planning on building these ScrOG frames so i can take them to the bathtub or something of that nature.

it shouldnt be too hard, except 5gal bckets full of dirt and water would probably be really heavy.

i thought about doing the 5gal buckets because i can eventually turn then into bubble buckets, im sure that would increase the yeild, but since im still somewhat new to growing ill stick with soil for now.

8. hey shadowshooter, glad your still arund. good story, sounds like something my friends and i would have ended up doing if we lived together! ya im hoping for a 1/2 pound yeid but who knows.

i was thinking about having 2 cabinets. start one with the 400w hps and when those are half done start 2 more in the other cab.
    when the original first two are done i can put the next two in the 400w hps cab and those will finish up under dank light.

i think with a method like this ill have a harvest about once a month (as long as i do not screw it up)

cab number one:

a lot of CFL's
    1st month of life

cab number two:

400w hps air cooled

carbon filter

if you guys think something like this would work id really like to give it a shot.

once this starts and if it seems to be a working idea, ill get another 400w hps for the other cab.

9. Just wait until you take them back to the box right after the flush... :eek:

10. haha ya thats what i mean, they're gonna be heavy...ill have Arnold Schwarzenegger come over and help me :)

11. Sounds good...hope you post pics of your SCROG frames once you get them built. I am def. going to be going SCROG for the next grow and am very interested in what you got in mind for your setup.

12. ya ill be posting pics for sure and i hope that it helps you and many other ScrOG'ers. should be built in the next couple days.... the one that i am building is about half way done right now. should be done in the next couple days depending on my schedule nd when i can build.

i think that my plan will work, it should be easy to take them out of the box individually and be able to work around the whole plant with as much space as you need, as opposed to working on your plants in the cab. if i do the 5gal bucket grow too, each plant will have about a 2x2ft sqaure for its canopy :) thats alot of colas!!!

13. 2x2 sounds perfect per plant....I built a screen that is 2 x 4 and I was planning on 2 plants so I am thinking the same way as you. How big are your screen holes? I have a screen that is 2x3 for each little rectangle which looks about right.

And yeah that is a ton of buds if you fill the screen. I counted and there are over 100 potential openings for a bud on my 2 x 4 screen. :)

14. #34 doobydoo420, Feb 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2009
    ya....the size of the holes in the screen that i am making are 1.5 x 1.5in.... i think i might up it to 2x2in squares.....ill be using string and hooks as well...not chicken wire type material. im thinking if i have a 2x2ft screen for the canopy, 2in squares might be better than 1.5in squares.

the frame that i am making now is only 1 sq ft..... i started building before i determined that im going to use 5gal buckets instead of those 9in pots.

if you look around in the threads you will find someone who used the string method and it seemed to have worked great for him.... sorry i cannot remember which thread or member it was that posted

also....my reasoning behind string opposed to chicken wire is that when its time for harvest, you just cut the strings and the plant is free again! then you can cut each cola individually or just chop the whole plant at once.

15. Are you meaning that you will have 2 plants woven into one screen? If so, you definitely want to be sure of the sex first. Otherwise, trying to untangle a male while not disturbing a female that are woven into the same screen will be mighty difficult.

16. ya i agree. ill be building seperate frames for each plant.

yo toast what do you think about my perpetual idea with 2 cabs.... i think its on the 2nd page

17. I am using fem seeds.....for my first go round with fem seeds I got 4/4 females that are in week 5 of flower now so they seem pretty reliable.

But yeah.....if I did get a male that would kind of suck.....I would probably have to cut out half my screen just to disentangle it.

18. got any pictures of your setup feel free to post them here, id like to ee what everybody else is doing

19. ok so for my scrog screen ive got some changes....

i have 4 flowering girls and a 34in high cab. ill put all 4 girls under the screen and hope theres eniough room. ill be trying to make this in the next couple days so ill finally have he pics up!
    sorry its been taking a while