Have a few Questions?

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by wolfgang123, Apr 15, 2011.

1. So i want to start growing but i do have a few questions. One let me say that the whole build proccess is not hard for me to do...i am good at working with my hands :p....

So i want to do a micro grow kinda thing i have some bag seeds i will start with but i dont really know where to start. I have found nothing but confilicting information. So what PH soil? what kind of Soil? Lights? how big? how many watts? fans? how big. i am looking for an all inclusive cabint grow guide. A pc grow box stlye but in a cabinat.

2. I'm sure you have a general answer, if you've done so much reading already. Pretty much whatever suites your needs. People usually have a reason for doing what they do. Give us an idea of your needs and current plans, and we'll tell you if it's good, and what to change.

3. #3 Hank Alvarez, Apr 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2011
    Wolfgang123: if you're looking to grow indoors, in a small area, you might want to consider an Aerogarden. I'm talking about the registered trade mark active hydroponic growing system, not aeroponics. I have a couple of Aerogardens and I like mine for a lot of reasons. The're small; 12" deep by 20" wide by 30" tall. They're compact enough to fit into a lot of confined spaces although I wouldn't recommend it because your plants need good ventilation and that's hard to get in a closet or a cabinet . They do great on a counter, a table top or a desk. They're self contained, very economical to run and if you do your homework they're very user friendly. I'm a fan of theirs and I get nothing from them but good growing advice.

If you like what you see with the Aerogarden you might want to investigate Technaflora's, "Recipe for Success," for nutrients. They have complete formulas that you can use from germination to harvest and their $30 Starter/Sample kit will last you a long time in an Aerogarden.

If you're growing just for yourself then I think you'd like an Aerogarden. You're not going to grow plants the size of red woods but you'll keep your sugar bowl full, (if you get my meaning). At least investigate the Aerogarden, but do your homework first before you use it. We have a lot of people at these forums who buy them, often they buy the wrong models, they don't know what the hell they're doing in the first place and they usually end up with disastrous results. Had they taken the time to learn about the system beforehand that probably wouldn't have been the case. I know it isn't with my friends an I who have them.

FYI: The seven holes Aerogarden models are best for what we're growing. You either want the super-duper model, which is pretty pricey, with the three lamp hood and the 24" arm/light stand, or the older version, "Classic," (Like mine). They can easily be upgraded with with a kit that contains a hood with more light, (Three high intensity CFL's as opposed to two in the Classic), a taller arm/light stand, (24" instead of 12"), and a longer light cord.

A lot of people piss and moan about how expensive they are but a friend of mine is a very frugal shopper and he got around that. He bought one used for about $50 at an online vendor like Craig's list or E-bay. He was lucky enough to get one that had been 'gently' used by the previous owner who sent it to him packed in the original box with all the instructional materials included. He has since bought the upgrade kit and he's happy with the results. I've seen other systems on the market and for a beginner I think you really get more bang for your buck with an Aerogarden.

4. that was an amazing answer thank youi soo much!!! i am still looking into different lighting options...i plan to build a grow cabinet about 3 -4 feet tall and about 2 to 3 feet wide (square box)...while we are on topic i see you mentioned aerogarden?? i will look into that as i have never heard of it before. Until that i was deciding between hydro or soil?? what do you guys think?? i cant seem to find a pros and cons list on them at the moment.

5. AeroGarden | AeroGarden 7 Elite Indoor Garden, Seed Kit, Grow Light

thats what you are talking about i see....but i cant just have my baby chilling out in the open so i am not sure if that is going to work.

At this point unless i am looking to grow a little bigger than the aerogarden i think (if i am guessing its size and output correctly) so i am going to work from the ground up. i will find out how im going to keep my plants alive...hydro, soil etc... (gimmie options here) then what kind of lights need to be used. then i will build a box and search on grow cycles and nutrients stuff after i figure out my box setup. right now i know little and am going to try to figure out a legit box set up then i will move on to the growing the plant itself questions....one step at a time. :) thanks for the help so far guys keep it coming!

6. Wolfgang123:
    One good thing about hydro is that you have a lot fewer headaches than with soil. Once you go into it you may never want to go back to dirt. The nice thing about the Aerogrden is that they already did all the R & D for you.

7. so you think hydro is the way to go? even with a cabinet grow?

8. Aerogardens are pretty neat. There is a huge variety of options out there for growing...just take your time and DO NOT start unless you have everything planned.

9. Wolfgan123: it depends on where and how you want to grow. For growing indoors, a small volume hydro system like the Aerogarden is really very user friendly. A friend had an 18 gallon bubble tub that leaked while he was away and it not only flooded his apartment but it ruined the ceiling of the apartment down stairs. He got evicted over that one and went away quietly when the landlord gave him a choice; he could either get out immediately or they'd call the cops. He chose to relocate.

The Aerogarden's tiny volume of 112 ounces presents a need for continuous pH maintenance but if you get sloppy like I did once all it takes to sop it up is a couple of beach towels. It seems to work well anywhere you're comfortable. I keep our home between 68 to 75 degrees year around and they seem to like it. I can't grow outside because we generally get 100 days of 100 degrees summers which is pretty brutal to try to grow anything but cactus.

If I had a plot of land in a forgiving climate like, say, the central or northern part of the state I'd love to grow outside in dirt or go full on hydroponics on a large scale in a commercial green house but at this time it's just not possible. In dirt you can grow 'monster plants.' In comparison I was taught, "Hydro is generally limited to plants three feet tall because of the lack of a root structure anchored in soil." I've grown in dirt inside my garage but not in the house. Maybe I'm too a messy farmer. I tried to keep it neat and clean in the garage and I think I did but we don't have dirt in our house. You notice I said 'we.' If you're married you'll understand, but try it, you may have better luck than I or some of my friends have had who ran into problems with 'the war department.' A lot to think about.

10. indeed.. :D

11. thanks for all the info guys!!!! i think i will stick with soil for the first grow since i dont even have the plants natural cycles down yet. or the lights i am going to use (i will do cfl's but i dont know how many or what kelvin i should get) i germinated and planted a bag seed for shits and gigs and it sprouted today!!!! so since it worked i figure i better get to work since i am just watering it with bottle water and its under a desk lamp for light haha. we will see!!!! i definatly am going to have more questions so i thank you for the help so far but keep checking back because like i said i will have more questions.

12. Wolfgang 123: a couple of things to consider: buy Jorge Cervantes's book, "Marijuana Horticulture the indoor/outdoor Grower's Bible," and study it. It's worth a lot more than the $30 you'll pay for it because he'll teach you things you never even thought about. "High Times," magazine has some excellent grower's tips too. I'd do this before you seriously anticipate planting a seed. There are some excellent ag classes available at the community colleges just down tell them what you want to grow. Some local hydro stores offer free classes as well. The more you learn in advance the less you'll suffer later.

13. If it sprouted, hurry up and get some 6500K cfls on it, switch over to 2700K after a couple weeks/months when you want to begin flowering.

14. yeah i just got the old cfls on there just now :) i used 2 dumbells, 2 books and a little tape haha here is a pick of my quickie setup until i figure this out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

how often should be light cycle be? 12/12???

15. ohh and that second pic was taken a couple days ago soo shes a little bigger you just cant see it in the first pic..

16. is there a good guide or how too on the stages of growth i can read up on?? like when i should switch lights over and too what??? like i said before the light schedule??? and when and how i would now its time to switch phases etc...

17. #17 Hank Alvarez, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2011
    Wolfgang 123: if you're asking about the light cycle, most people use an 18 hours on and 6 hours off to start with on an independent timer and they go with that to a 12/12 schedule for flowering when the plants show their gender.

There's a progressive light schedule I was taught in school that has resulted in some pretty spectacular grows but the smallest unit I've used it in was an Aerogarden. There you start with 20 hours of light and four hours of darkness on an independent timer and you cut down the light by one hour each week. That increases the dark by one hour each week and at about 14 light and 10 dark you'll usually see your plants start to flower on their own. You go down to 10 hours of light and 14 hours of darkness until harvest. Most who have tried this method have had some pretty spectacular results. Again most of this information, except for the progressive light schedule, is available in Cervantes's book and High Times magazine. I hope this helps. Hank

18. Ok so right now my baby just dropped the seed casting :) !!!!! i have it under a 20/4 light regiment with two 6500k CFL's about 2 inches away from my plant. does that all sound right? and when should i switch up the lights? and when should i switch up the light schedule??

EDIT: hank thanks for the advise i like that idea alot but would that rush the plant growth a little bit too much??

19. How do you mean, 'switch up the lights?"

20. like i have 6500k right now....but i have read that i need to switch to 2700k for flowering???? i dont really know