Have a couple questions about growing plants for seed

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by canabusdream, Jun 2, 2020.

1. I just flipped to 12/12 a couple days ago and found out that most, if not all, of my 4 plants are male. This is my first real grow with seeds from a reputable seed bank. I’m using the DWC method, in a 4' x 4' tent, and using Fox Farm Big Bloom and Fox Farm Grow Big at about half strength. I’ve decided to grow them out for seed, but I have a couple questions I was hoping I could get some help with.

Feeding Question:
    Do I need to keep feeding these plants all the same nutrients I’ve been feeding them to get seeds with the same potency as the ones I planted or can I just give water at the correct PH?

Lighting Question:
    Will it make any difference in the seed potency if I only have the BLOOM switch on instead of both VEG & BLOOM switches?

Thanks for reading :)

2. First, if all four are Male then there is no way to get seeds, only pollen. Got to have a female for them to pollinate.

Yes, same nutrients. Continue growing them just like you would a female until the pollen sacks begin to bust, which of course means any females in the area will get seeded. You can also find some good tutorials on harvesting pollen and saving it to pollinate female plants in the future.

Running both light might mean bigger male and female flowers, which would result in more seeds. There wouldn't likely be any difference in potency of the plants grown from those seeds because potency, or at least maximum potency, is more related to genetics than environmental factors.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. You can't get seeds from a male plant......it takes a pollinated female.

4. Thank you so much for the info. jay719. That is exactly what I needed.

5. So I guess I have some more questions if you be so kind to help again:

I guess I have one very small plant that is not even a foot tall that is female. The other plants are close to 3 feet tall and all male. Not sure what to do here. Should I just scrap the whole grow and start over? Would I get any weed that is worth smoking from the males? Should I remove all the males and just leave the smallest one to fertilize the female so I don't have to use so much nutrients keeping the other males alive for no reason?

The ones I have sexed as male have the little seed sacks on them. What happens to these seed sacks? They don't turn to seed?

Thank you for the help

6. If you get pollen all over the inside of your grow tent you will likely have problems growing in that tent again. It's tough to get all the pollen out.

7. Clone your stud cock diesel macho male and root him up, try and get him to cum after the girls been flowering for a few weeks. Also take clones of everything so you can backcross your seeds if need be.