Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Hash-Based Tincture

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by B0nd, Nov 14, 2012.

1. #1 B0nd, Nov 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2012
    Hi GC,

I'm planning on making my first batch of glycerin tincture soon, and I want it to be potent. I understand that using hash instead of herb is probably the best way to maximize potency. I've read a lot of great advice on GC about the process, but I have a few questions that are unanswered for me. Please advise only if you have experience with making tincture. :)

1. Is there a proper way to decarboxylate hash? And is this step even necessary when the hash will be heated for ~5 hrs?
    2. Has anyone established an optimal ratio of Glycerin:Canna? (I've noticed 16oz glycerin : 1oz bud is common) Is this ratio different when using hash?
    3. Will cheesecloth "strain" hash out of glycerin effectively?
    4. Are there any important tips or tricks that would help me with this project?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks blades.

2. sup Bond.

I have ventured a few attempts at tinctures and while no expert, I hope my limited
    experiences will help you get a bit further.

1. To the best of my knowledge, decarb is the same as for bud, just less time. I would decarb to be safe. Keep it below 225 F and you should be fine.

2. Good question. I know the most commonly used ratio for bud is 3.5g per oz of glycerin. I had some hash sitting in glycerin for 5 or 6 months. Never fully
    dissolved. I added another tsp or 2 of glycerin and viola. Dissolved. I would say you will know exactly how much glycerin it takes to dissolve the hash when you see it. For maximum potency I would take whatever hash you have and add glycerin until it dissolves. I only used very mild heat. I placed the bottle next to my laptop exhaust or on my mug warmer. This provided enough heat to make the glycerin much less viscous and fully dissolve the hash (to the naked eye). Even so, it takes time and lots of shaking. With gentle heat you should know if you have too little glycerin in an hour or less.

3. Don't know. I didn't strain. It was dissolved and gone to the naked eye, eventually.

4. I haven't had many attempts, but have done a ton of reading on the subject. My best thought on making any canna infused tincture or oil is to be patient and to not even use heat except for the decarb.

I have also made green dragon using heat and a double boiler. To be honest, I am not impressed with either method and would like to find a way to make an insanely potent tincture using whatever as solvent.

My current experiment involves 1.5g of good bud and 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil with very little heat and mostly at room temp for 2 weeks. Today is the day for testing on that one.
    Hopeful this one will give me the effect I seek.

It just takes doing it. Keep experimenting and good luck.

3. Cool post..Now I need the experts..
    I have just gotten "into" the making of tinctures and oil. Just trying last years dried keif/fine trim shake mix (decarbed by now I feel..thoughts?) and covered with organic grapeseed oil. I shook and put in the dark and will shake often for 2 weeks. I want to try hash with glycerin now that I see I can..I don't necessarily want the heat and associated acid chain dropping off the THC...I want a topical that is going to work for pain and inflamation without the potent heady effect. (I have plenty to use for that as well) So question pretty much is ...will "fresh" icewater hash be as easily desolved and also will it be strong or mild applied topically.

4. Thanks for the help buylow, you know what you're talking about. +rep

I just put my soon-to-be-tinc in the oven! :)

I decided to use a ratio of 10 grams of hash to 8oz of glycerin. I wanted to try a smaller batch first, just in case I messed up. I decarbed my hash, like I would bud, at 220 for 20 minutes. Then I followed BadKittySmiles' recipe for glycerin tincture.

I learned a ton, but it really wasn't that hard to make once I had all the materials in front of me. I look forward to making more!

This wait is killing me...

5. One of my biggest pet peeves about tinctures is that people are quick to give advice and opinions when many haven't made tinctures period. So i appreciate the company on this thread. Potent tinctures are possible and can make smoking and edibles seem to be lesser.
    1st! I do not recommend using glysiren, it takes forever! Not to mention its a laxative and you will shit your pants. I always use ever clear.
    2nd hash tinctures are tricky, oils and full melt ( and I mean FULL MELT) bubble hash work best if your choosing that route, I often use 2 grams of hash to 2.5 fl. Oz. of ever clear which I freeze for 2 days then simmer for 45 minutes until 1 oz of fluid Is left I don't bother filtering since hash often causes a suspension (that if properly decarbed at 250 for 7 minutes with fine ground hash) contains activated thc none the less. This usually result in a nice 1 dropper consistent dose that lasts about 4.5 hours for me

6. So how did it turn out?

7. #7 buylow8863, Jan 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2013
    No need to freeze it if you're not going to strain it, unless you are cycling heat and cold just to accelerate absorption. Freezing your alcohol mixture typically is done so to minimize any water soluble plant matter (which you don't want). Freezing for 2 days won't do a damn thing for you or your tincture, esp. if you don't filter.

Freezing and warming cycles will increase absorption rates into your solvent while decreasing absorption times. In that sense it can be useful. Otherwise don't waste your time waiting 2 days for your tinc to come out of the freezer. Complete waste of time.

My pet peeve is misinformation.

8. i think so, Thanks for the help buylow, you know what you're talking about. thanks for your sharing,[​IMG]