Has anyone tried Datura?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Grim Bongmaster, Mar 1, 2005.

1. I was just checking out erowid and came across Datura. It seems like a pretty cool drug.
    "All hallucinations on Datura are a result of changes in the brain stem. The brain stem controls dreaming. "Reason" is not something the brain stem understands, and hallucinations reflect that."
    From what I can understand it induces lucid dreaming while your conscious

"I have noticed, after speaking with Datura users, that at higher levels, it is impossible to discern between sleeping and wakefulness. This is said to happen to insomniacs, who actually dream they are awake (and thus arent really insomniacs). Things happen that users label as hallucinations when in fact they may be only dreaming.

Someone posted the following message to the alt.drugs newsgroup regarding atropine and dreaming:

" If the purpose is to get high, try drinking a tea made from a 1/3 of teabag worth of leaf. Of course nightshade, belladonna, and jamestown weed are unpredictable, having a lot to do with growing conditions. If you are planning on tripping, start within the lower half of a teabag. If your intention is to kill someone, or yourself:) EAT A PLANT, or three. You can expect a very drythroat, lucid reality dreams, and a loss of balance. Effects last at least 12 hrs. Lock yourself in your house, and explore the inner realms of the ancient plant. Think of flying! Thats it. Now float."

"After about age 18, the brain begins to lose cells at a rate of near1,000 cells a day (the cause for this is still unknown). In order for a loss of that rate to completely destroy your brain, you would have to be alive more than 12,000,000 days, or close to 33,000 years. I suppose logic indicates that no human has ever lived 33,000 years, and as such, "killing brain cells" shouldnt be too much of a problem. There has been talk that smoking marijuana (and in fact other smoked "drugs" -- curiously not tobacco) causes increased loss of brain cells. It is important to know that even a loss of a million cells (which could never happen from smoking anything once or twice) would not even do serious damage to your brain.

Damaging specific areas of the brain through trauma (car wrecks, et cetera) is much more dangerous, however.

It is said that the brain uses 10% of its mass. That means that roughly 120,000,000 cells are used. The brain's approximate mass of 12,000,000,000 cells, minus 120,000,000 is still 11,880,000,000. Now, its not true that brain damage (from various activities: contact sports among them) occurrs exclusively to the part of the brain you don't use, but you still have over _eleven BILLION_ cells to kill. Interpret that as you see fit."

This is what I found REALLY INTERESTING!!

Lucid dreaming starts as a slow process, beginning with (in castanedian dreaming) looking at one's hands. Other sources will tell you to, throughout the day, look periodically at written text, and then look back again in a second or two. Eventually, you become trained to do this and you should find yourself doing it in your sleep. The brain stem is not really able to understand written text, so if you find you are doing this and the text is distorted or missing or different, it is a good indication you are dreaming.

From that point, there are various things you can do. Some include meeting with entities in your surroundings, some include simply recreation such as flying, and other activities. Basically, like hallucinations, dreaming can be treated as a recreational state or a shamanistic state.

Dr. Stephen LaBerge, of the Sleep Research Center at Stanford University, came up with a process he dubbed MILD (Mnemonic Induction of Lucid Dreaming). It includes the following steps:

1. When awakening from a dream, review it several times until it is memorized.
    2. While still in bed, say "The next time I dream, I want to remember to recognize I'm dreaming."
    3. Picture being back in the dream, yet realizing that it is a dream.
    4. Repeat the second and third steps until falling back to sleep.

Just thought this was pretty cool, the full article is here http://www.erowid.org/plants/datura/datura_faq.shtml#6c

2. 1676
    a group of soldiers go insane in jamestown upon ingestion of cooked Datura plants.

hahahaha!!!!
    erowid has the coolest shit on it

3. "1968
    Datura over-the-counter remedies for athsmatic difficulties are banned after people begin using them recreationally." www.erowid.org

couldn't be that bad.. they were selling it over the counter...

4. omg it looks crazy....oh yeah i love lucid dreaming!!! its the bes!!! its really my OWN world...:D :D :D but lucid dreams are a rarity :(

5. Lucid dreams can be accomplished without datura, so his dreaming isnt poison.

I think youve made youre point though.

6. Ive seen it with a caution poison lable on it as well..im not sure what to think,havent done enough researxch, I remember a whiiiiiiiiiile back i started to look into it, but I suppose it didnt strike me as something id try becuazse I dotn remember enough energy into finding out more to want to know to try.
    heres a faq i stumbled upon tho http://almashriq.hiof.no/lebanon/90.../Datura-FAQ.txt its got an early date on it, with no changes tho, nothing abotu toxicity etc

7. lmao!! classic!!!

8. and to think i allmost bought some from a website once...........for my Asthma.......lol........but na i'll give it a miss.........Peace out...........Sid

9. bad luck, it dont do you any good,i think your right to keep away from it....
    however...most of the horror stories ive read have been where people have been careles and not established their threshold or sensitivity,or just taken shitloads cos they dont know to respect it.

ive got some in my garden and im still gonna try it,but i shall try a bit and take it as far as i want succesive times(ie establish my threshold)

when im in a stable frame of mind anyway....

the important thing when dealing with powerful psycoactives is respect them and dont expect to get away with doing more and more cos you dont thinkyouve done enough.

cos this shit will defnitly kill you

10. Actually the last thing on my thread didn't have anything to do with datura, it was a system develped by a doctor for inducing lucid dreams

Dr. Stephen LaBerge, of the Sleep Research Center at Stanford University, came up with a process he dubbed MILD (Mnemonic Induction of Lucid Dreaming). It includes the following steps:

1. When awakening from a dream, review it several times until it is memorized.
    2. While still in bed, say "The next time I dream, I want to remember to recognize I'm dreaming."
    3. Picture being back in the dream, yet realizing that it is a dream.
    4. Repeat the second and third steps until falling back to sleep.

11. Datura is called Devil's Weed for a reason. The large percentage of people who take Datura end up with HORRIBLY bad trips.

12. the large percentage of reports of bad trips usually begin with

i took a teaspoon
    then a tablespoon
    then had some tea to make sure....

13. I hope no one tries datura aka jimson weed.

14. i'd probably try it if you laid it out in front of me...

15. WOW can I make any less sense?? :D

16. Datura is a crazy drug..

17. LoL @ bumping a two year old thread. How does that happen?

18. Yo this shit is terrible.

Datura has put at least 4 friends in the hospital with insanely bad trips.

DON'T FUCKING DO DATURA. EVER!

19. Datura is considered one of the most strongest and craziest drugs know to man. At the same time very dangerous. I wouldn't ever try it.

20. datura is horrible, u feel like your dieing, you have the worst cotton mouth/dry throat to the point that swallowing will make you gag and you'll keep coughing cuz ur throat tickles, and basically you just feel absolutely horrible

but if seeing crazy dream like delusions is worth feeling like death to you then go for it