Has anyone tried a double SCROG?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by PorcupineTree, Sep 11, 2018.

1. I was thinking, for a way to possibly increase yield, what if you had two scrogs, but only defoliated the top one, so light could get through to the second one. Obviously, the same plants would have to have some branches on the bottom and some branches on the top because if you're defoliating the top, then those plants wouldn't survive unless it had branches with leaves on the bottom. Just thought this might be a way to increase yields and maximize the flowering square footage. Has anyone tried it?

2. Usually a "double scrog" is just for support at the top so the buds dont fall over. I dont think you'll get an increase of yield by having one more up top because then what's the point of the bottom one if your doing the same thing ? There would have to be fan leaves up top and that would block light below. It also wouldnt give you any more colas

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Light doesn’t penetrate with enough intensity to flower further than about 18” below the canopy. A double scrog as you describe would require another set of lights underneath

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. So couldn't you have the lower scrog 18 inches below the upper one and therefore get enough intensity to get, I don't know, maybe 50% as much bud as on the top scrog?

It seems that the key would be to properly defoliate the upper-level so you do get some decent penetration down at the lower level. My assumption is that you could defoliate the top-level very heavily relying on leaves left on the bottom level to ensure the continuation of photosynthesis.

5. I don't really get what you mean when you say why would you put another scrog when you already have one. The point of doing the second one, would be to increase the amount of yield.

6. How would it increase yield?

Like I said the only point of a double scrog is the top net is just support.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Have you ever used a scrog ?
    Nothing under the net gets any light. That's the point. To distribute light evenly across the canopy while trimming everything under the net so the plant can focus on the top colas.
    How would you do that with 2 scrogs ?
    You would have to trim ALL fan leaves to penetrate light into the second scrog and even still the light wont penetrate nearly as well for the second scrog ?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. I want you to tell me how another net on top of this would increase yield due to light penetration on an even canopy
    1536681909719.jpg 1536681914297.jpg

9. It would increase yield because you have a whole nother layer of scrog in addition to the top one.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  10. By defoliating the top level so light can get through. The picture you posted shows a scrog that has not been defoliated therefore light can't get through it.

11. You didnt answer my question.

Have you ever used a scrog ?

The point of a scrog is to keep everything even in veg, fill the net about 70% and then flip to flower while you tuck the stretch to keep the canopy even until the stretch is done.
    On top of that like I also asked how would you get light to penetrate through the top scrog when you need those top fan leaves ????

12. If you actually understood how to use a scrog you would understand that a double scrog net would not increase yield. If you wanted to grow a super super tall plant sure double scrog would work but not in increasing yield at all .

No light will get past that canopy.
    Period

I understand you said defoliate the top, but a plant needs its 2 top big fan leaves .so regardless . .

13. Jesus, yes I have used many scrogs. I have only always defoliated them fairly lightly 3 weeks into flower and 6 weeks into flower. I have been mulling over the udea of raising my screen up a few inches and trying to heavily defoliate it more often with another screen below that would not be defoliated, providing leaves for photosynthesis. I want to experiment with it, but first I thought I would ask here to see if it has been tried. I see you are adamantly against it. Thats fine.

14. Replies like this make you come across as angry and a bit dick-ish. I feel like I am on RIU. I know we are pseudo-anonymous here, but that's no reason to be impolite.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. In this guide she uses a 2 layer scrog net, there are pictures in the guide so you can see... the second net is purely for holding up the buds, theres no second layer of buds just 2 screens for structural support

And anyone who likes hot stoner chicks the girl who wrote this guide is allie beckett ( grower, weed photographer ) got a love those redheads man!

https://www.marijuana.com/news/2016/08/grow-guide-how-to-scrog-like-a-pro/

16. That is not the guide I would use I just posted it to show that a second net is purely support no extra yield... I prefer LBH's scrog guide, you can Google it if you want..

17. I didnt know me pointing out something obvious was dickish . If that's how you wanted to take it, that's fine.

18. Also if you want to ask for opinions , get a factual answer and continue to rebutle , it just seems like at that point you weren't looking for an answer but more someone to tell you that its possible. So I'm sorry that its not. Good luck

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. how can one ask a question and not accept answers. Especially from those who are experienced. I’m no expert but if you understand the basis of a Scrog then you would understand that you aren’t worried about the lower canopy. You want only an even canopy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. You might be able to do a double like you are saying, but would require hellacious side lighting to feed your lower level.

You would probably still only get little popcorn buds as the top scrog would be all your mains.

The idea has merit, but not sure it would be worth it as far as gram/watt would be concerned.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Agree Agree x 1