Has anyone successfully quit caffeine?

Discussion in 'General' started by notime4schwag, Sep 27, 2011.

1. I'm feeling like I might need to quit. I have anxiety and I get jumpy sometimes, and I think it is the caffeine, because these symptoms are present usually right after I drink it. I always drink a cup and half of coffee when I wake up, and sometimes more throughout the day.

But I started drinking coffee regularly back in high school and college because I used to nod off in class, even after getting a full night's sleep. So that's what's been keeping me from trying to quit for a long time- because I don't want to go throughout my day nodding off constantly. But I always don't want to throughout my day with anxiety and jumpiness either.

So any tips on A. quitting, and B. staying alert throughout the day without caffeine?

2. Well, I use to drink (literally) 1.5 liters of Mountain Dew a day. I. Love. Mountain. Dew.
    I quit drinking caffeine all together for a week and had the worst headaches of my life for like three days. Now I drink it much more sparingly, kind of to treat myself. But if you want to be more alert in the morning, substitute your daily cup of coffee with an apple. Apples have just as much energy boosting shit as a cup of coffee, but without the caffeine.

3. I have, I used to drink six or more cups a coffee a day. I do not drink any caffeine now...how did I do it? I don't know I just stopped cold turkey. Around the same time I quit cigs

4. Haha was it tough stopping cold turkey?

5. [quote name='"notime4schwag"']

Haha was it tough stopping cold turkey?[/quote]

Headaches, but that's it really. I was more focused on not smoking cigs haha.
    Edit:I have way more energy now that I don't drink things with caffiene and sleep better too

6. Did it when I stopped taking drugs, stayed about 2 months with no caffeine. Just drink lots of water, unless you're drinking around 6-7L(may be a bit off) a day you're going around dehydrated(which symptoms include fatigue) without even knowing it. Think I'm lying just do a quick google search, I would but I'm on my phone.

7. maybe you can switch to green tea? its better for you and has less caffeine, i used to drink coffee everyday and ive felt better after switching to tea

8. My dumbass quit for a few months once while working rotating shift work thinking I could sleep better when I need to. I went cold turkey too. Be prepared to have a long headache. Mine lasted a week.

9. I don't drink any soft drinks w/ caffeine and I make decaf tea and coffee.

10. I stopped drinking coffee due to stomach problems and anxiety.

I highly suggest you try a tea called Yerba Mate. It tastes great with honey, and it has a different type of caffeine in it that doesn't upset your stomach or make you jittery like coffee.

It's almost like a high when you drink it.

11. Well I drank half a cup of coffee when I woke up today and I felt good. Felt a bit tired throughout parts of the day, but I soldiered through. I think I'll just drink green tea when I wake up tomorrow, that'll give me a little caffeine boost without the jitters.

12. Nope, i love caffiene. It does not help when there's like 8 different types of soda readily available and free at work.

13. Caffeiene and cigs, cold turkey. Just decide to stop.

14. I actually quit soda cold turkey last week,I drank nearly 1.5 litres a day.Ive replaced it with water and tea.I have some abdominal pains,but no headaches.I feel good,not jittery anymore and I've lost 10lbs so far.I'm never going back.

15. caffeines a bitchh

i used to drink energy drinks and i got addicted
    and i used to get the urges alot
    and drinking coffee would help
    so i knew it was caffeine well to me
    but i couldnt go a day without an energy drink

16. a cup and a half a day?
    jeeeesus dude, thats nothing..

i usually drink a bit more than a pot throughout the day (around 12 cups)
    i know, its kind of insane, but i really love my stimulants.

at this point, its strictly psychological for you, as i cant see quitting caffeine causing you withdrawls when you drink so little...

17. I've "quit" multiple times. Once when I was younger because I had some infection that was causing me to piss blood and caffeine contributed to it. I eventually started back because everybody in my family drinks caffeinated soda and it's all we had around.

I quit roughly six months back or so for personal reasons. The only time I drink it now is when I go to a friends house because it has a 25 cents soda machine by it which is fucking convenient. I also drink an occasional cream soda because the stuff is amazing (once or twice a month). At home all I drink is juice or caffeine free sodas. I actually think caffeine free coke tastes better than regular.

Every time I've stopped I did it cold turkey and maintained it for at least a good while before saying fuck it and having the occasional drink with it once in a while for convenience sake. Prior to stopping I was taking in A LOT of caffeine too.. But I've never had any problems with it. No headaches or anything like that. It sorta helps with anxiety but not a whole lot.. but I guess when it comes to anxieties anything that helps a little is still a big help.

So I'm not off it completely but I use it on such an occasional basis that I'm positive I could completely stop and not have to worry about any negative effects.

18. If you only drink 1-2 cups of coffee a day (I'm assuming 8-10oz per cup) its perfectly fine. Just cut back...caffeine really isn't that bad in small doses such as 1-2 cups a day.

19. Like what has already been said...Yerba Mate is great...almost a euphoric up feeling. I use it no more than once a week although I know I could drink it often with no problem. I find it less "addictive" so to speak...and its a better feeling.

20. I did for 3 months over the summer when I didn't have the stress of schoolwork piling up and I was just chillin'

Tips to quit: sleep through the first couple of days without it, and take some ibuprofen for the headaches

it's really just cold turkeyin' it up. I actually felt great, and could wake up at 7am with no caffeine aid. I don't know why I started drinking coffee again though, but I did.

I think my caffeine addiction came back into play when I started partying at the end of summer and drinking red bulls at midnight to power through the night...bummer. But I do think you will get what you're seeking by quitting it. Good luck.