Has anyone had this happen to the weed resin in their bong need answers!!!

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by Imadeureadthis, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Soak the entire thing in a bucket of straight from the bottle CLR. Its organic and once cleaned and rinsed its harmless. Ive worked in so many kitchens and I will be the 1st to say its the reason there coffee pots and cups are never stained from coffee. Use to soak the pots and run it through the machines daily after close at many places. Ive used it to clean glass for many years now and as long as you remember to throughly rinse and dry its no harm to you at all.

• Like Like x 2
  2. at this point the OP probably has mushrooms growing out the mouthpiece

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. I got the reference, I'm about all things Ed Abbey.
    I don't know, Johnny. That white stuff on the side of the bong is growing in the same pattern as the fungus on the inside of my jars when I was growing mushrooms plus the inside of the bong looks like it has liquid in it. You can surely manipulate computer images better than I can but it's obviously fungal growth.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Yeah you are talking about mycelium. That looks nothing like mycelium when blown up. It looks like crystals and residue.

5. Throw the whole bong out.

And @Johnny_Appleweed, what is it with you and enemas?:laughing:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Put it the oven on self clean. I loaned my grandson my rig and gave him an ounce of wax. I kept the rig clean but he never bothered with that shit and when he returned it (actually I had to go get it) it was as cruddy as the OP's bong. When he ran out of wax he put the torch right on the glass to vaporize the reclaim and it burned on that crap. Of course it was impossible to clean after that so I put in the oven on self clean and after I rinsed out the ash it came out sparkling clean. You can imagine how the house smelled. If you did that you'd surely lose the cartoons and it's possible it would break but really, what do you have to lose? That would also burn off the fungus mycelium. :)

7. I have been growing and smoking for 30 years, and this aint mold

8. That means when you started smoking pot I was 41 years old but it's cool, we were all noobs once;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. I see you handing out a lot of disagrees, it's cool but why not just explain what it is you disagree with? I'm guessing you're saying I wasn't 41 when you started smoking?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. You can use your pH down to clean the mineral deposits off. For me it's mostly calcium and magnesium carbonate that is left behind and these compounds will break down in the presence of an acid. Makes cleaning it up way easier than trying to scrub the scale off after its been cemented to a surface. The brown color is the resin vapor that condenses onto the glass that is covered with a film of scale. At least that's my assumption. When I use rock or table salt added to isopropyl (rubbing alcohol), I can get the brown color to come up if I agitate long enough, but it's stubborn and the scale has a hard time leaving without an acid.

You can actually extract and reclaim the good parts of the resin for later use.

From...
    improptu-separation.jpg

To this...
    reclaimed-resin-1.jpg

"
    To put this process into perspective, I once collected all of my pipe bowl scrapings and roaches until I had about a pint of them, and dumped that into the container of black denatured alcohol, that I had been cleaning my pipes in.

I shook the mixture well and let it soak for a day to extract the material from the roaches and scrapings, before straining it through a wire strainer and then a coffee filter.

Because I didn't want to mess up a separatory funnel with the black foul smelling mess, I poured the solution in a 1 gallon Ziploc bag, to which I added equal amounts of water and hexane.

After shaking it well, I hung it from one corner, to let it stratify, and after it had, I clipped off the lower corner of the Ziploc bag, and by pinching it, and controlling the bleed rate, I was able to bleed off the water, alcohol, and emulsion layer, so that only the now gold hexane solution remained.

I filtered the hexane and poured that into a Pyrex pie plate, which I blew air over with a fan to evaporate off. Attached are pictures of the amber oil that I extracted.

While the black color was gone, slight ashtray undertones could still be tasted, so further refining was necessary with activated charcoal, but we will cover that as a separate subject.
    "
    Polishing extracts | Skunk Pharm Research

I learned alot from Graywolf, (or skunkpharm, or I'm not sure who exactly over there, I always thought it was Graywolf, but it looks like the people that make up skunkpharm have had a bit of a falling out or restructuring) when I was first getting into extractions. Here's a couple links that I think are pretty good...

QWET extraction (everclear)...
    QWET Extraction With Ethanol | Skunk Pharm Research

QWISO extraction (rubbing alcohol)...
    QWISO Extraction with Isopropyl | Skunk Pharm Research

BHO extraction (butane)...
    BHO Extraction | Skunk Pharm Research

DIY CO2 extraction (dry ice)...
    DIY CO2 Extraction? | Skunk Pharm Research

Hexane extraction...
    Hexane Honey Oil | Skunk Pharm Research

DIY vacuum chamber...
    DIY Vacuum Purging Chamber | Skunk Pharm Research

Decarboxilation...
    Decarboxylation | Skunk Pharm Research

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  11. You can just use distilled vinegar too. Vinegar will dissolve the minerals.

• Like Like x 1
  12. #32 HazelMoon, Oct 15, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    Mean Green worked wonders on my bongs. Try soaking it in a tupperware container of Mean Green overnight and see what happens. You might have to soak it twice bc of the state it's in but it definitely should do the trick!!!

13. Yes, this has happened to me. I now clean my glass about once a week. With rubbing alcohol and salt (you can use sea salt). Works and makes your piece look brand new. I'm sure someone has already posted about this, but it will fix your problem, without having to throw it away.

• Like Like x 1
  14. I’m 55 and I love Rick & Morty - so what??

How about not talking down to new members?

One of the reasons I’ve been a member here at GC for so many years is the sense of community and folks getting along.

j

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1