Has anyone grown their own Alfalfa?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by MotaMike, Feb 22, 2014.

1. #1 MotaMike, Feb 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2014
    I bought these seeds on eBay a while back and thought I'd see if they grow.
    Dug the ground with a bulb fork, spread about 1-2" of homemade compost amd worked it in the ground.
    Then I sprinkled some seeds along this row, covered them with another inch of compost and watered.
    I hope it does well as this would make for some great nitrogen for the compost bin.

Attached Files:

2. I've actually been thinking of growing alfalfa for a while now just for that reason. It'll help with my outdoor as well

knives heated dull red
    release sweet smoky nectar
    I am lifted high

3. I'm lucky. There are alfalfa fields all over around my place.

Twas Ever Thus!

4. yeah stuff is pretty tough

5. Isn't it interesting that the botanical name of Alfalfa shares a name with Cannabis? 'Medicago Sativa' :smoke:

6. #6 StayLowGrows, Feb 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2014
    That's exactly what I'm doing.this year. Growing my.own amendments and accumulaters.

Alfalfa has iron too I believe...brb

Edit: http://oregonbd.org/Class/accum.htm

Your area looks great too man. Big.thumbs up

7. Thanks guys. All the green growth you see around the grow area is Oxalis which comes up every year. Its a pain in the ass and is very prolific but I look at it as free nitrogen for my hot compost pile. :)

8. I think I bought the wrong Alfalfa seeds. These are "sprouting seeds" which are used for health food not the regular Alfalfa you see growing Iin fields.

9. #9 marvajuana, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2014
    That shouldn't matter as long as they sprout. alfalfa is alfalfa. medicago sativa.
    One thing though. I don't think you have enough seeds.

Twas Ever Thus!

10. #10 MotaMike, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2014
    Correct me if I'm wrong Marv but I was under the impression that Alfalfa sprouts only grow a couple of inches tall and are then pulled to put in foods? Is that incorrect? I don't know why it is called Alfalfa Sprouts and not Alfalfa Seed?
    I need a lot more seeds?

11. That's right. but if you don't pull them up they grow into a plant.
    they wouldn't be as thick when planted either as in close together.
    To sprout you put a lot of seeds in a small container and keep moist.
    To plant you want them spread out more. I am blazed now so I hope that makes sense.

Twas Ever Thus!

12. Yeah I spread them out along that row I put the picture of above. We shall see :)

13. Mike, youre all set. Like Marv said, alfalfa is alfalfa. Sprouts are harvested at a couple inches but its still the same plant.

Alfalfa.jpg

j

14. Thanks Jerry.

15. It has been raining real hard lately so I doubt those alfalfa seeds will germinate since I planted them just before the rain. Doesn't really matter though as I need the room for my Comfrey plants when they arrive. :)

16. did you mulch with straw when you broadcast the seed?

Twas Ever Thus!

17. No Marv I did not. I just sprinkled an inch or so of compost on top of the seeds.

18. It will come up then the rain helped wait and see.

Twas Ever Thus!