Has anyone gone to Oaksterdam University?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by HandsomKiller38, Oct 31, 2010.

1. I wanna take the 2day course is it worth it?
    MODS: If this is in the wrong section please move thanks

2. No a pot degree is not a real degree. If your going there to learn how to grow or something though it might be worth it.

3. grasscity has just as much info as oaksterdam, just without the hands on. i would just stay here for free and read.

4. ^^^^^

5. yea thats exactly my thoughts. we have the experienced growers that willingly help and teach others in our community. the GC growing community is fucking amazing. i cannot state this enough... everyone's sum knowledge of the herb is shared, and its free :)

6. I think everyone is downplaying what Oaksterdam can offer. Nothing can compare to hands on experience. I think if you have the money, take it. I would.

7. How much would that kinda course run!?

8. yeah but having the money and NOT having the money make things totally different :D

9. That's VERY inexpensive, in my opinion.

10. TBH if you want to learn how to grow then get an actual botany degree. Otherwise like everyone said, you have all the information that they will offer bottled up on this website.

As far as hands on training, just find some bag seeds and put them in a dirt, not much more hands on then that.

I don't care who you are, or what you've been trained, you're not going to pull nice nugs until you've done it yourself a few times.

11. you guys must be pretty damn cheap because 250$ is pretty cheap for a 2 day, 13 hour hands on teaching course. I'd take it.

12. all the people teaching those courses learned what they know from sites like this, a couple beans and some elbow grease....

13. #14 zpyro, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2010

Sure, and experience is completely useless. :rolleyes:

Downplay Oaksterdam all you guys want, just goes to show you have no idea what it's about. Maybe you guys have years to dedicate to a BS degree in a wide field and a few dozen thousand dollars lying around, for the rest of us who want some useful training and a good base of knowledge on which to build there's a weekend class for $250. I bet even those of you who seem to know all there is about all kinds of growing, know all about all laws related to the field, and know all about how to run a dispensary (bet you didn't even know the courses covered stuff like that) could learn some stuff worth $250.

This is what's in the basic weekend course:

COURSE CURRICULUM

Legal: Federal Vs State Law
    An important introduction to the legal issues surrounding medical cannabis and the cannabis industry. Learn about the laws that govern cannabis distribution, cultivation, possession, and consumption for adults and medical patients. Have your questions answered by prominent cannabis lawyers. What's the difference between state & federal law and what does that mean for you? Learn how to behave safely and responsibly under California Law. (5501)

Politics & History
    All students will get a detailed overview of the politics and history surrounding cannabis, historically referred to as hemp or marihuana. This course covers the political history of cannabis, as well as important legal decisions that affect the industry today. Did you know that the U.S. Federal Government created a program in the early '80s to distribute cannabis for medicinal use? Learn more about this and other historical events while getting the latest information on current court cases and legislative decisions that can affect you. (5101)

Civics: Legal Rights & Responsibilities
    What is a qualified patient and how do you become one? What are your rights under the law? How do you exercise your rights to navigate police encounters successfully? Learn your civic rights and responsibilities to positively contribute to our community and the cannabis industry. (5301)

Horticulture 101
    Learn how to grow cannabis from start through harvest. This course covers everything needed to get going and produce a harvest. Instructors will detail the basics of watering, lighting, ventilation, cycles, and equipment options. Indoor and outdoor information is included, as well as hydroponic and organic options. Even experienced folks can learn from this presentation about cuttings, pest control, smell abatement, security, pH balance, and drying/curing. (4101)

Methods of Ingestion: Extracts 101
    Learn the benefits and history of extracted medicine, the chemistry behind it, and the different extraction methods and equipment used. For those who require a little extra concentration...(8101)

Methods of Ingestion: Cooking
    Who knew there were so many forms of cannabis?! Hundreds of alternatives to smoking cannabis are now available, including: confections, cheesecakes, salad dressings, beverages, and more. Become versed in the basics of cooking with cannabis in a classroom setting. Learn how to cook with whole plant medicine and extracts, regulate and titrate dosages, proper packaging, food safety, and how to make cannabutter step-by-step. Learn from long-time cannabis cooks and professional chefs. (8501)

Methods of Ingestion: Vaporizing
    Learn how the vaporization process works, various types of vaporizers, and be able to explain to your doctor how this alternative method to ingest cannabis is safer than smoking and easier to titrate than edibles. (8701)

Science: The Science of Cannabis
    How does cannabis affect your body? Unlock your understanding of the human receptor system through our body's interaction with the cannabis plant. Know the facts, learn the science! Be trained to debunk commonly cited studies against cannabis and review studies in the past that have impacted the social environment surrounding cannabis today. Discuss emerging ethical and political issues. Discover new therapeutic uses and explore the clinical benefits, research summaries, and scientific applications of cannabis. (6101)

Economic$
    Taxation and Regulation of cannabis, the largest cash crop in California, is on the ballot for 2010. Eighty percent of Americans agree that current policy has failed. Oaksterdam University Students, Alumni, Volunteers, Faculty, Staff and Instructors are working hard to make safer communities through the regulation of cannabis for adult possession and personal cultivation, as well as giving local cities and counties the option to regulate sales and commercial cultivation. This class will touch on the basics of the voter initiative and help you to facilitate the discussion about the economics of cannabusiness. (5601)

The advanced course:

Horticulture 4102: Advanced Grow
    Instructors continue the subjects begun in the first horticulture class for more comprehension. This course is for the experienced grower or any student who has completed Horticulture 101. New topics include seed germination, clone/cutting production, and examples of automatic systems. This class takes your grow to a larger scale, or commercial cultivation, and offers tips and tricks to maximize your productivity.

Patient Relations
    (Formerly "Budtending")
    Learn the ins and outs of safety, security, and great patient-customer service and set yourself apart from other applicants for employment at dispensaries. Train how to effectively and responsibly dispense cannabis to patients. Learn about the different strains and their differing effects, along with which strains are best for various medical conditions allowing you to provide helpful, knowledgeable service to patients in need. (7101)

Dispensary Operations
    Starting a dispensary (or any other cannabusiness), this class is for you! Learn about Job #1: Security! Learn from long time dispensary operators how to: manage personnel, from hiring to firing; build strong community relations including ways to reinvest in your community; have excellent customer service and maintain patient privacy. (7302)

Procurement & Allocation
    So how do you get product from providers to patients? What do you look for and how do you get the best value for your collective or cooperative? This class is particularly important for inventory managers and includes such topics as: grading, weighing, storage, and safe transportation. (7303)

Cannabusiness: Legal Business Structures
    For learning about many opportunities in the cannabis industry; whether it's a commercial grow, dispensary, cannabis edibles company, clone provider, delivery service, Measure Z club, or any of the numerous cannabusinesses still to develop in this industry. The process to obtain city, county, state permits and licenses are covered in detail. Legal business structures and standard business issues such as: payroll, sales tax, workman's compensation, health insurance, and other requirements for operating a business are further covered. The instructors share firsthand experience and knowledge. Current political issues and local politics are explained, including a review of the Attorney General Guidelines. (7401)

Civics 102: Know Your Rights Workshop
    Unlock justice and secure your freedom during police encounters! This class includes skits that simulate encounters with law enforcement. Students will see the knowledge learned in Legal & Civics classes applied in action. Experienced instructors teach examples of common encounters and specific wording to use. Most people give up their constitutional rights during encounters with law enforcement. These mistakes are avoidable and costly! For everyone in the cannabis industry, this class is essential to know your legal rights and explore the "gray areas" in order to do risk analysis and make informed decisions. (5302)

Grasscity is cool, but it is by no means the best place to learn. There is WAY too much bullshit misinformation that gets passed around on forums like these, and there's no replacement for hands-on, in-person instruction for most people.

14. I'd take that course in a heartbeat if it was offered here

15. No need to take a course...this is pretty easy.
    Just have to read a lot, and take notes.

16. zpyro spelt out exactly what I intended. After reading that I'm going to look into taking the weekend course at the Ann Arbor location if they offer it!

17. yeah i i agree and i would consider this class for fun..and of coarse to increase my yeilds..who knows what you might pick up or who you might meet...i am sure in any case it would be fun and you will learn some things to help your garden and pot life :smoke:

18. lets start a canadian version then.

19. I'm going next fall :smoke: