has anyone ever used a small hps for a grow light?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by bishopthenomad, Jul 10, 2003.

1. im usin an old sunbed to clone and veg, im lucky and i'v got a lot of space. it was 600w (6x100w tubes) but im using 80w cool white tubes in it now, i start my little 1s under 2 tubes, its all they need and only uses 160w, i do this by removing the tubes i aint using, as the plants get bigger i put more tubes in, never needed more than 4 tubes. the heat build up problems im getting is from the ballasts, when the bed has been on for an hour or so they r hot enough to melt ur fingers to them.

i get a lot of good plants outta it, most i give to ppl i know grow and the rest go under the hps thats allways on 12/12.

the other good thing about using a sunbed is if u think ur gonna get a vist then at the end of the day its just a sunbed not a grow lamp.

2. oh and yeah they grow just as fast and stocky as they wud under a hps, that is untill they get over about a foot high then they do strech a bit, if i used all 6 tubes then i can flower 3foot plants no prob but yeald is down a little.

3. Thanks i lookin to veg and hold a couple mother plants tried cloning with hps and mh but only floros would end up working for me now if i have to much light will i affect my clones from taking root i had planned on using 12 4' tube but only 6 at a time 6 hours on 6 hours off to let stuff cool down a little i dont want to burn up ballist to offen and i was looking at the tubes and the 25 watt one seem to be brighter than the 40 watt ones is this normal, overall heat is not a problem as i have plenty of ventalation. any input would help thanks

4. "the 25 watt one seem to be brighter than the 40 watt ones is this normal,"
    Im guessing theyre compact flouro's right?
    if they are, is the 40w bulb older than the rest?cos if it is it could be burned out,
    is it a "cool white" or different from the 25w one?maybe just seems less bright cos its a different spectrum,
    And finally it could be all ure imagination..lol
    CWL

5. No they are tubes it might be that they are different colors cool,warm or bright that is it i didnt think of that thanks

6. need i remind everyone of the $45 150w HPS home depot lights?

7. is the 40w tube a lot longer than the 25w tube? if it is then the 40w mite b putting out more lite but spread out over a larger area so it does look a bit duller. more likely the colour tho.