Has anyone ever heard of a DUI Check Point???

Discussion in 'General' started by beyond305, May 27, 2010.

1. Yeah, I've ran into them a couple times in the San Diego area. It's usually late at night, like after 11pm, on busy roads, on fridays or saturdays.

&

No, that's not entrapment.

2. Damn that's fucked. Did you fight that charge?

3. Naw since it was my first marijuana citation I only had to attend a 9 hour class on a saturday for one day for 40 bucks with a bunch of stoners which was cool though cause me and some other guys blazed during breaks and just had to sit and listen to the instructor talk and show videos.

4. we have dui checkpoints all the time. all you have to do is simply take the other street, or check the papers or internet

they legally(in ca) have to post a notice saying where the checkpoint or checkpoints will be located, as well as they have to have a road or street that you can take instead of passing through the checkpoint that you can take that is near the checkpoint so you are technically not "forced" to pass through the check point. but, if you miss the turnoff road, you must follow the police instructions and cooperate with their demands at the checkpoint. usually, it is a simple how are you doing, have you been drinking, and they let you pass through, but they can also request you to breathe into a breathalizer which they do pretty often

always come around during certain holidays, and we had a bunch a few months back cause the county got some new grants or something that allowed for a higher budget.

just dont drive drunk, simple as that and you wont have to worry about checkpoints at all, as long as u have a DD you are fine, be as drunk as u want to be in the passenger seat, just dont drive drunk, which is just stupid to do in the first place

5. i live in australia and we have these check point things, ive never thought of it as a big deal, its just a way to catch under the influence drivers and is there anythign wrong with trying to protect others drivers on the road by taking those impaired ones off?

6. wow, it's turning into a police state more and more. they're setting up checkpoints to bust people? Why do they need to bust people that badly? Are they short of funds, or do they want to keep us under total control at all times?

7. There's not a lot of things on the road more dangerous than a drunk driver. Take a step back and try to remember that the police aren't some evil conspiracy perpetrated onto us.

8. Agree.....100%

Hopefully, they're trying to make the roads safe for me and my family. I lost my younger brother to a drunk driver 10 years ago. Drunk driver blew through a red light and Blammo..........no more little brother. Drunk fuck only had minor injuries, by the way.

So..............from my perspective, they can have all the checkpoints they wany, because if they get just 1 drunk off the road, it's worth it. That one drunk could've been the one who killed my brother.

I don't get all of the cop bashing or the "it's unconstitutional" talk or the "Police State" talk. There are laws for a reason. A cop's job is to enforce the law. Why would you think ill of a man or woman just doing their job? YOU know that what you're doing is illegal, but you do it anyway. When you get caught, you really have no one to blame but yourself.

A few other thoughts.........

Driving is a privelege...not a right. As a privelege, it's subject to terms and conditions.

If you're doing something illegal and a random checkpoint makes you get caught, then so be it. You knew you were breaking the law and therefore you knew the consequences but you obviously decided that it was worth it.

Like I mentioned earlier.........if a checkpoint takes just 1 drunk off the road, it's worth it.

This is America................if you don't like the way we do things you are free to either lobby congress to change it or leave anytime you want. The choice is yours.

9. we have them all the time wehre im from. so SHITTY

10. the night of my grandma's funeral they had one.
    well i was with my cousin coming back from a family dinner and someone said theres a DUI roadblock up ahead...so i had to cousin take back roads to a friends house.
    then he bought some weed off my friend and smoked me out lol

11. I know fuck the cops I almost hit one here in my city just last week but I managed to make a right turn on a little street quickly before I hit it. It was on a weekday at 8am in the morning like wtf they have nothing better to do.

12. ^ What the fuck? A DUI check point at 8am on a weekday? Are they really catching a lot of intoxicated individuals like that? The hell man. If you're drunk on 8am on a weekday, like not a holiday, it's probably from the night before. Wow.

13. Regular thing in Europe..

In Ireland you are breathalyzed and if you fail its off to the cop shop for blood or urine sample..

If this comes back positive its off to court and a 2 year driving ban is the norm then .....

14. Wow fuck that, you could have been late to work or something if you got stuck in it.

Anyone ever see any of these things in Mass? I've never seen one, and I didn't even know they existed until I started coming on GC.

15. Same shit around here, I went through one just the other night there were state cops evvvvverywhere. The earliest I've gone through one was at 9 in the MORNING on a weekday. Oh and during the middle of the day on mothers day:rolleyes:

16. Aw hell nah! I just remembered about a particular checkpoint. I live in a lower class neighborhood. There are only little streets surrounding my living quarters. I also have three schools surrounding me no less than 300 yards every which way. My neighborhood is full of mostly immigrants. So I'm getting ready for school, and I start to see police men on their motorcycles making a checkpoint IN THE WORST PLACE POSSIBLE.

They set up a perimeter in the middle of a neighborhood street and block off all four joining streets. This was no busy road, this very road leads you to the schools I mentioned before and if you take a wrong street through, you'll end up in a dead end. Now you get the idea that this road isn't used heavily by everyone, only by the people living in this neighborhood. Well, they set up at seven thirty in the morning and leave by eleven, just before noon.

I didn't have to watch from the street like the crowd surrounding the cops were because I already had a view from my pad. It's an apartment with a couple of floors. Anyways, during the time I sat and watched these fuckheads, I seen at least fifteen plus cars get towed! These weren't your typical drunk drivers. Most of them just wanted to drop their kids off at the school. On one particular incident I remember a family of FIVE were ordered to step out of their car and watch as a tow truck hauled it away. Most of the people getting their car towed were family people. I even remember about this old couple that had to walk home because of the dickhead cops.

Later on I found out it was a checkpoint for driving papers. Registration, insurance, and drivers license. Sure, these people shouldn't have been driving without these materials but still, what the fuck. Why don't they go up to Calabasas Drive or Hidden Hills, any predominately 'rich' neighborhood and start pulling people over? Why in the fuck must they come to lower class neighborhoods, especially little streets that take you nowhere far. I understand If they did it on the main streets around here but come on. These people just wanted to go about their daily routine.

Once I returned from my class, my uncle told me they had towed thirty five plus cars since they set up in the morning. Bullshit if you ask me.

17. They are unconstitutional. For it to be 100% legal they would need to have a legitimate probable cause to stop every car that comes through the checkpoint.

Don't get me wrong, I'm am very against drunk driving, but if you are "legally" over the limit but still fine, you should not get in trouble. The law does not account for people with an above average tolerance to alcohol.

18. it is not unconstitutional because they legally have an escape route to leave from after seeing the checkpoint, but if you miss that route, u must go through it

studies have shown that driving performance suffered just after 1 beer and under the legal limit. but, you can also get ticketed under the legal limit, but it would be DWI rather than a DUI.

19. cops have changed alot in the past 20-30 years....theyre job is to protect and serve..i still dont see how theyre doin that by pullin people over for a blown tag light or stopping some one cause the didnt COMPLETELY stop at a stop sign. And its not like theres a fine line between protecting and being a fucking assshole.

look i used to work at the sheriffs offices working on they patrol cars. Ive heard storys you wont ever believe. but one thing that caught my eye is that alot of these cops keep record of how many stops they make. They keep tally of how many warnings, tickets, and arrest they make at what intersections. .. . . .hmm i wonder why

20. I go through a few every now and then. I like to blunt ride and they are my worst nightmare. I've had to eat a couple blunts and its never pleasant.