Has anyone ever grown in a closet?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Iceman420, Sep 11, 2011.

1. I'm finally moving and getting an apartment in NYC. I wanted to try growing one plant. Thing is, there is not much space, but my closet seems like it would be able to hold some things.

I was wondering, has anyone ever done a closet grow? How much money should I spend? How do i remove the smell? etc.

2. I did a closet grow for my first time. It was big enough for 3 small-midsize plants. I used one 600W HPS light. I made 2 of the pen cup DIY carbon scrubbers and they totally did the trick for odor. Heat was a difficulty though and took some interesting exhaust work. As for how much you spend, that is mostly up to you. I will say you definitely get what you pay for. If you want really good results try and get a good high output light. T5 Floro's might be good for you, up to you again here. Spring for nutrients. Pick up something that is generally a part of the cannabis industry (read: not Miracle Grow). I still use the Fox Farm line and have no complaints. Just make sure you get as much of the line as you can afford (not just Grow Big and Tiger Bloom, a mistake I made once and only once).

3. true, but along with some other concerns are, make sure its not too noisy so i can sleep lol, and along with not having any suspicion

4. #4 Ride4Life, Sep 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2011
    My first grow was in an under-stair closet...PITA to change out 50L tubs of water, haha.

In the closet

Also: Smell mitigation is difficult to do inexpensively, unless you can have 8 sticks of Nag Champa always burning, haha. All my neighbors know I grow and I'm lucky they're all cool with it. These plants are fragrant while vegging and get really smelly when they flower. It always smells a little skunky in our neck of the woods...

5. Growing in an apartment is risky. Especially in NYC where they are smaller and closer together. You will need to manage heat and provide true ventilation and kill odor, which can be difficult to do when you don't have a whole room or more to dedicate to the project or don't have access to an attic, crawl space, etc.

If I were you I'd search around GC for threads with the word "apartment" in it and read up how some have done it and how some have advised against it. Just a few pot plants can stink to high heaven -- I've stunk up my entire house before. Think it through, and don't try to grow if it really isn't practical, you really need your own, secure place.

6. I am doing this right now, check out my latest post to see what it looks like. I would say it is a little harder, but I have 3 plants. One plant should work VERY well if you do it right.

7. I'm growing in a 2' by 2' closet but its in California and I'm almost positive my property manager grows too. Not positive but I'm pretty sure. I know he smokes tho.

8. A couple of months ago, High Times ran article that featured a guy who lived in NYC and he was growing in a tiny apartment. His layout was pretty cool. I just tried to look through HT articles to help you, but couldn't find anything. I'll still look later.

9. Really? that article would be helpful, but I do know that High Times operate in NYC though...

10. YouTube has hundreds of great grow cabs for in closets!

11. Or you can just do a set up like I have in my closet. Link is in my signature. I'm getting a second HPS to put in there soon