Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

has anyone EVER gotten lung cancer from marijuana

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by rileyscool101, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Now I know no one has died... But has anyone ever gotten lung cancer from just marijuana? I've been reading propaganda and stories online about people's loved ones who have gotten cancer from marijuana.

Also, how are companies aloud to lie saying it causes cancer if there hasn't been any cases of cancer from marijuana?

2. No. Marijuana is thought to cure cancers, or atleast shrink cancer cells

3. OMG, dawntoker - just gotta say I LOVE your avatar. My favorite person EVER!

4. #6 PositiveAttitudeMachine, Jul 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2012
  5. Yea, Im callin BS on it. The article was based on people that used Marijuana and tobacco too. There's so many other credible websites other than about.com that say the opposite

6. I once read that people who smoke marijuana and tobacco will actually live longer than someone who just smokes tobacco. I doubt you will find any record of someone who just smoked marijuana and got lung cancer due to smoking marijuana.

7. ^i saw a study that complimented that.
    There was around a 10-20 percent increase for lung cancer in heavy cannabis smokers
    30-50 percent increase for tobacco and cannabis smokers
    70-90 percent increase for tobacco only smokers.
    Not sure on exact percentages but it was roughly around these. This is all for heavy smokers.

8. You'd be hard pressed to find a case in which someone got lung cancer that was strictly smoking weed, but to say what caused a cancer is not really how it's done. You can just speculate.

We know that combusting plant material creates carcinogens, we know that carcinogens contribute to cancerous growths. Logic would tell you that THC or CBN/CBD's or something else in cannabis seems to keep cancerous growths from occurring considering my first sentence of this post. We don't really know all the details.

9. I won't say yes, someone has, or no, no one has, but the potential is there because there are carcinogens in smoke. Now we also know that THC helps cancer cells program themselves to die. So it's hard to say.

10. We live in a wonderful time.

There was a time, not too dissimilar from today, where people didn't think smoking cigarettes caused cancer.

There was also a time when people thought a bad harvest meant the gods were angry and required a sacrifice.

In short, we do not know if marijuana causes cancer. It has been found to contain carcinogens (and therefore, should cause cancer), but there is contrary evidence that shows it does not cause cancer. There is also evidence that it causes cancer.

Maybe one day we will definitively know. To smoke now is just playing the odds.

11. I wonder if someone who just smoked marijuana would live longer than someone that also smoked tobacco

12. Well, this is very controversial but i know a few facts.
    Such as, anything you smoke produces tar in your lungs... needless to say that's not really a good thing. Even smoking just paper produces tar. Cannabis is thought of as a medicine to some diseases not as treatment but as medicine to make the patient feel better. I don't doubt it can be used for treatment, i believe shaman use it as spiritual medicine.
    And ever had a toke when you had a headache or nausea? It works wonders.:smoke:
    "No one has ever died by a cannabis overdose, but take 13 aspirin and that will be your last headache"