Has anyone ever been to Centralia, Pa?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by ledztompbobm18, Feb 15, 2010.

1. It's this ghost town in PA where a coal mine has been burning underground since 1962 and there's cracks in the road with steam pouring out. I heard one person say that the fire is actually under a graveyard at this point so the graveyard has steam coming up from it which sounds pretty creepy.:eek:

Me and my friends are probably gonna go
    there when it gets warm out because I think
    that would pretty sweet to bring some weed
    and some food and have a whole town for
    yourslef except for a few locals who refuse to
    let the government take their houses.

My phone won't let me post a link but if you type it in on google there are some pretty interesting sites about it and some cool pictures.

2. I Live in PA and have been through there plenty of times. I don't wanna burst your bubble, but its not all that impressive since the fire is deep underground. However, its still very interesting and i still love hearing the folklore surrounding it.

3. I live in PA as well i worked out that way for 3 months a year ago or so. Drove through there daily.. And It really isn't all that much to see. I mean its neat how you see the streets all beat up and no houses anywhere ( but you can tell where they use to stand). I guess if you never seen it, and you have nothing better to do that day and have some good buds go for it! :smoking:

4. sounds like the perfect spot to hold races

5. I've heard about this from silent hill & such...Looks very interesting.

6. I wanna go here so bad!!!!

7. I came pretty close to paying Centralia a visit early last year but ended up with some wrong turns over by Reading and got really off track. As much as I didn't want to I gave up and started heading back towards Hershey to get on 76. Still to this day I wanna make it out there. Someday I guess.

8. Yeah I've driven through Centralia many times and my friend and I made a special trip down last year to explore the area. We took some weed and made a day of it.

It's cool but like someone else mentioned there isn't much to see because the fire is underground. There are spots with smoke coming out of the ground and some large cracks but mostly the only thing you'll see is a few houses.

There is big I think rock pile or something I remember climbing on where the smoke was coming out of but it was kind of gross since people were basically turning it into a dump by throwing all of their trash out there. You could probably go for a decent walk out past the rock pile area though. If you can go on a day that it's not too ridiculously hot though since the ground is already hot enough there. It'd probably be better going on a cooler day or early in the morning when the smoke is more noticeable.

It's not far from Knoebels though so you can always make a trip over there after going to Centralia.

9. I've heard of Centralia. That's some freaky shit right there :smoke:

10. Holy shit! It looks like a worthwhile trip to me. Look at 3:39 - dude lights a match by just touching it to the ground for about 1 second.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjtmaCI9_wM&feature=related[/ame]

I'm about 90 miles away in Jersey. Might have to do this one time.

11. PA has some creepy shit. This was one of the places I'd like to visit sometime. If they don't have it closed off, I think it'd be exciting to camp out where it'd be considered "dangerous".

12. I think we just found the spot for the GC Gathering fellas