Has a song ever...

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by dr_krapp, Feb 10, 2004.

2. Nope, but you might like to try listening to the lyrics of the tracks mentioned then come back and explain your theory once again.
    I like your nerve,,trying to tell me about music when you don't even know how many notes are in an octave (its 8) think octogon an 8 sided figure or octopus an 8 limbed creature.You are pretentious and foolhardy if you think you can enter a battle of intellect when you don't even know the basic FACTS
    Try explaining the lyrics to The Laughing Gnome by David Bowie.

3. You have know idea what I know about music 'little boy' and the rest of your reply is simply a 'pre-emptive' attack the Americans are so proud of. Any battle is an avoidence of conflict!
    And now I suppose you think I think you are an American!

I still maintain that you pay more attention to less enthusiastic encounter, and refrain from distractive plausibility. You may become an adult!

To be plausible I assume one must first be sure of his facts.
    How can I take comments from someone seriously if they show a basic lack of understanding of the rules of music???

Being six foot two inches,medium build and british I fail to see why I should pretend to be something I'm not.

A discussion is usualy a matter of two people (or more) explaining thier stance on a given subject,you have yet to say anything of interest so I shall waste my time no more and leave you in your delusion of superiority.

4. Hehe, gotta love internet fights. ;)

But back to the topic... Last month, actually earler this month, a few friends and I went to a local music festival. A couple of big names were there including Cake, moe., G Love, the Wailers, and others. Anyway, me and another guy both ate a capsule of 2c-i. Needless to say we were trippin out of our minds. Anyway, sometime between sitting on stage with G Love and sitting on stage with moe. (the last act), we started wandering around the festival grounds. There was one point where we were both laying on the grass with hippies dancing all around us. Cake was playing on the stage about 500-600 feet away, so we could hear the music clearly. They had been playing Frank Sinatra. Now, to this day I don't know why that song had so much meaning as it still does. Every time I listen to that song, it seems as though I have a slight flashback, to the moment where I had drifted out of reality and into a dreamland. The song had so much relevance at this point, and the way that the hippies were dancing around me and the lights... and the shadows... wow, talking about it gives me chills.

5. The only word I can think of after reading this drivel is;
    pretentious, do you even know what half of the words you're using actually mean.As for bad mouthing the British, I would suggest those are the actions of children in a playground,name calling (tut tut).You still haven't explained how the prefix oct means 7???? I'll leave it at that.

As for the original question good music always has the power to move people,anyone who has ever experienced a live concert will back me up on that.

6. Seek Up- DMB

8. You're wasting your time,for one I would consider myself very adept at understanding English since it is my mother tongue.
    Secondly the original question was "has a SONG ever moved you",therefore the word song denotes lyrics(can't have a song without lyrics).
    Your inappropriate use of and lack of understanding of the language I am so proud of.I also speak fluent Dutch and a tiny bit of Spanish.Keep fooling yourself you aren't fooling anyone else.

9. Haha, you can't have a song without lyrics???

Well, what about the music before jazz and rock and roll? The majority of music before that didn't have any lyrics, besides operas and musicals. Ever heard of classical music? Some of the most emotional music invented. Why? Because the composers and the performers had to express their emotions through their song, not through their words.

10. "tonight's music" and "passing bird" by Katatonia

11. Instrumental = music no words
    Song = music with words

If people can't even grasp basic definitions,then all is lost.
    Once more with gusto, the question is has A SONG (remember that's music + words) ever moved you.

A BLOODY SONG,,,get it???

12. What else can a "voice" be you moron,if you're going to use my language and that of billions of others at least learn the definitions of the words you're using.
    You are really starting to bore me with your constant lack of anything resembling common sense.In England we would say You talk out of a bodily orifice.Grow up and stop insulting my intelligence with you're purile rubbish and just answer the original question.Whales havea voice but I don't see anyone learning to tranlate it with any degree of success until we do I guess that a song has to be in a language we are familiar with or no one will fully understand it.I like the sound of some foriegn language songs but because I don't understand the language it prevents me from fully appreciating the whole thing.Simple really.

13. Just to let you in on a little information, you know they have invented computerized voice-over machines... ones that have programmed voices ready for use in studios all over the world. Takes no human effort except a simple push of a few buttons. But it's still a voice.

And why are you so proud of a language and how "properly" you speak it? English has many different dialects, and not everyone speaks like you. Here in America, a song is a song is a song. I'm not going to call Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata an "instrumental" because that just doesn't make sense. It IS a song, what else could it be?

14. And please, if you're going to be so uptight about people not knowing English, perhaps you should edit your post to get rid of all your grammar mistakes first. Thanks.

15. Boring!! I didn't think something as simple as the original question would attract so many peole determined to ignore it.
    As for English I believe in keeping it simple to avoid confusion and grammatical errors like a comma out of place don't worry me in the least.
    What I do object to is a complete demolition job and people who write drivel and claptrap and try to pass themselves off as experts.
    I also think that pseudo-intellectuals should be shot. Simple
    GETTING BACK TO THE ORIGINAL QUESTION

Has anyone heard how ya gonna see me now,It's about the worries of a man coming home after re-hab and being concerned about how his family and in particular his wife are going to be towards him