1. Win a $250 shopping spree at Grasscity.com! To enter subscribe to our youtube channel.
    Dismiss Notice

Harvesting your own seeds?

Discussion in 'Absolute Beginners' started by SmknVTEC, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Hi folks.

Is there anyone with experience in harvesting there own seeds? I have a few questions.

1. At what point should one harvest? When ALL of the seeds have shelled out?

2. To retrieve your seeds does the plant have to be totally dry first? I know it is always easier to manicure a dried plant. But is it nescessary if you are just interested in the seeds?

3. To germinate your seeds does the outter green shell of the seed have to be peeled away? Or can you just throw the whole thing in the dirt?

Thanks for the help.

2. HIGH All, hey SmknVTEC welcome to the City.

1. At what point should one harvest? When ALL of the seeds have shelled out?

You'll probably get a few anwsers to this. Me I wait till the plants are done their 12/12...some seeds will fall O.F.F.F. the branch when ripe.

2. To retrieve your seeds does the plant have to be totally dry first? I know it is always easier to manicure a dried plant. But is it nescessary if you are just interested in the seeds?

I don't know if it's earier to manicure a dry plant....we do ours by hand just O.F.F.F. the plant when it's still living. You wouldn't want to do a whole plant...you'l get thousands of seeds. It's better to do one or two branches....that way you'll only end up with hundreds.

3. To germinate your seeds does the outter green shell of the seed have to be peeled away? Or can you just throw the whole thing in the dirt?

Yes peel it away...when a seed is ripe it will fall O.F.F.F.

3. Unoit,

thanks for the welcome man. I have read a lot of posts that you have made and have learned a lot.

So am I to believe that the seeds will start to fall off the plant when they are finished/ripe? That makes it easy. I also understand that the plant starts to die when it is almost ripe. I guess that is another sign.

Today I cut a branch that had a seed on it and accidentally cut through the seed itself. It looked all white and milky almost like a tiny coconut but very soft. I dont think it wasw quite ripe yet even though it was from a shelled out pod.

Talk to you.

Grasscity Deals Near You