Harvesting Vs. Curing

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by rallydrift, Aug 12, 2012.

1. I have a beautiful little lady thats been flowering for about 4 weeks. some of the hairs are turning red and there is good THC production on the sugar leaves. The question is, should I harvest early and cure for 2 weeks or harvest later but have to rush the curing. This plant was grown for quality not quantity. The buds are small but that was to be expected given the growing circumstances. (My parents said I could grow one plant in their house providing I do not use any lights and keep the light limited to what I could get on the windowsill.) So ya, would a better cure yield a better smoking bud or would a shitty cure but later harvest yield better smoke? Right now I have some HempstarXLemonhaze buds that get me fucked but don't taste phenominominal so i'm more in the mood for tasty smoke that gets me high instead of shitty smoke that gets me fucked. Oh, one more thing, I need the bud to be storable by August 21st.
    Thanks my fellow blades.

2. #2 BYOweed, Aug 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2012
    Your aware you need to dry them as well, right?

And you should harvest when 90% of the trichomes are cloudy, and 10% amber.

If you need to have a grow done in time for something you should know the breeders recommendation of how long the flowering cycle should take, and give yourself 1-2 weeks in case you need to let the buds mature, and 3-4 weeks to dry and cure properly. As well as the amount of time you want to veg for before you induce flowering.

Any pictures?

3. #3 rhapsodyrcks, Aug 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2012
    Wierd title. You have to harvest then no matter what..cutting the bud off is harvesting. Unless your selling it all or somehow consuming the whole yield in one night as soon as you put it in a container which I assume is somewhat air tight since harvested dried weed stinks your curing. So basically you have to harvest, and if its even in a ziplock bag you are curing.

As the above stated...you do have to dry first.

As for curing necessary..no but fresh dope tasty shitty like grass tasting. One week in a jar is leaps better. Wait a month so good.

4. You've been flowering 4 weeks and you need bud in a jar in 9 days? :eek:

What are the drying conditions going to be (temp and humidity)?
    Just chop as late as possible while still leaving 2-4 days for an unfortunately quick dry, then into jars. While I'm pulling for you and hoping for the best, I suspect your results won't be very satisfying in that time frame. :(

If tehre's ANY way to extend the deadline that is far preferable, but I suspect not (school?)

5. I know I have to harvest but it was whats going to give me better tasting chronic. Harvesting early but drying and curing slow ish or harvesting later and quick drying and curing?
    and on the 21-24 I'm going away for 3 days so i cant bring the plant in my car aha and then on the 29 im leaving for school which means i have to drive through the states

6. [quote name='"rallydrift"']I know I have to harvest but it was whats going to give me better tasting chronic. Harvesting early but drying and curing slow ish or harvesting later and quick drying and curing?
    and on the 21-24 I'm going away for 3 days so i cant bring the plant in my car aha and then on the 29 im leaving for school which means i have to drive through the states[/quote]

It's going to taste like shit either way. U cut early u probaly have not fully flushed the plant and it's not done developing. Buds will be fluffly and taste like shit. Or u wait an let dry for 3 days and then jar it will still be wet mold in the jar and still be bad. Sounds like a lose lose to me. Should have planned a little better. Early autos maybe next time.
    5 weeks of flower and u want to cut. No chance that would be a complete waste

7. #7 xlxlxlxlxlx, Aug 12, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
    Why not just jar them up the day before you leave, to cure? That way you can get the most out of your grow (in your time allotted)....dry them properly and then just start the curing process. You get to school, put the jars out to finish curing and then 2 weeks later invite your new friends over to your dorm to checkout your new smoke :smoke:

They could be drying while you're gone for those 3 days. Come back....still drying....and on the 28th, jar them up for curing, drive to school or whatever, unpack the jars and let them finish. Sure, you're not harvesting them at their full potential but to try to finish growing, drying and curing in a 6 week time frame when you're only into week 4 of flower isn't going to provide good results.

8. Two things, I'm in canada and I go through the states to get to school and i already have an abundance of dank there. Also, this is a shitty auto flower (Buddah Syrup) and its been growing for well over 8 weeks. Would I be able to let the plant dry out in the soil? Ie. water it right before I dip for 3 days and come back to it dead and dry?

9. Id give them to a friend to finish, let him/her dry cure etc...and then pick it up when your done with school, it will taste splendid by that time, with amount of cure?....hook him up with a nice diner and some beer for the troubles

10. lol my parents offered too so its no big deal. i just hope theres some left when i get back.

11. nice! good news :hello:

12. Read up on how to dry bud, first of all it doesn't dry in 3 days, second you don't leave it on the plant to dry. You cut the branches during harvest, hang them in a cool/dark/dry place for typically a week to 10 days (again...everything is relative) normally hanging the branches on a clothes line type of setup, and then jar them up for a couple of weeks to cure, opening the lid every now and then to bring in fresh air.