Harvesting tall + skinny plants

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by stankonia, Mar 16, 2016.

1. I've attached photos of 3 plants in my Mylar grow tent - the flowers are starting to develop. Not surprisingly, the tops of the plant are far more developed than the lower parts.

I understand the concept of a staggered harvest, but here's what I don't understand:

After chopping the top branches off when they are ready, how will that affect the rest of the plant? Do I continue to feed it just water, or return to nutes? Will the lower branches and buds continue to develop properly even after the top half or so is harvested?

any advice is appreciated. Thanks

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. I'm going to be a brat and bump this...I am a bit paranoid about ruining the lower halves of these plants by harvesting improperly! I think the top and bottom are weeks apart from each other

3. Another Bump..

4. Listen, your buds are developing that way because of a serious lack of light. The only light you've got is right around the tops, so everything else is just sitting down there and is under developed. You could help yourself out by getting some more of what you've got up top and putting them down under the canopy where those buds can get some light. This is what you get when you don't have enough light to properly flower the plant. CFLs "will" flower one, but the buds are generally light and arid, just light the plant is tall and scrawny, and they just don't produce the thick fat juicy buds that we're all shooting for. Though I've never done it before myself, it's perfectly feasible to cut the top WHEN THEY'RE READY and not before, and leave the others there to finish some more. It will not kill the plant. It will stress it a bit, but these things are weeds and they've survived under every kind of condition one could imagine without the help of man. It will recover from the stress and continue to grow and you would continue to treat it just as you have been all along. If it were me, I would get some more light down lower to help those buds out. It's not going to be anything great in the end, but it's something and you've gained valuable grow experience in simply growing the plant. My next goal would be to get better flowering light. The cheaper option is hps which grows beautiful buds because the plants absolutely love it. It's fairly cheap in comparison to LED lighting, but the heat it produces is pretty severe so you have to figure in a way to manage the heat in your tent. LED is also wonderful lighting, but to get anything of quality you have to lay down some serious bucks. My hope is that the price will start to go down on some of these lights as more and more manufacturers get into the biz. But for now, to get a good quality LED that will flower off a couple of plants, it's probably going to cost you around $500. The cheap LEDs are just that...CHEAP. They are made in China stuff with the cheapest components and labor costs and I've seen post after post from people who have ordered them and then were totally disappointed with what they got. So, if you consider an LED in the future, be aware of what you're spending your money on. If you're like me, buying something twice really ticks me off. LOL I don't see anywhere where you mention the time that your plant has been in flower already, but by that picture above of the top, they are nowhere near ready to harvest yet. Get yourself a loupe. They're cheap, under $20, and the only way you can truly tell if your plant is ready is by looking at the trichomes and that requires significant magnification. Anything other than that is just guessing if your plant is ready and nobody wants to go to all the trouble of growing one and harvest it before there is any potency of the THC. But don't be afraid of them. They're just weeds. They're going to do their best to grow regardless of what you do to them. Good luck! TWW

• Like Like x 1
  5. After chopping the top branches off when they are ready, how will that affect the rest of the plant? Do I continue to feed it just water, or return to nutes? Will the lower branches and buds continue to develop properly even after the top half or so is harvested?
    The real issue is not enough light, those cfl's will get you up to mid veg at best, upgrade that light to a 400w hps, and some correct study would help you a lot

good luck

6. Thanks to both widow white and Vostok. I'm sure it's apparent that it's my first grow and I will learn from these mistakes. You fellas have some great advice. I am going to harvest what's ready, and then continue on with the remainder of the plant as I would have anyway (two different flush cycles, if necessary). Next time around, no CFLs...at least for flowering. And I will top my plants during veg instead of one main cola...