harvesting question

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by rivergirl, Mar 3, 2009.

1. :)

If the top third of my girls appear ripe (just bought a magnifier scope so will see the colors of trichomes in the morning) the middle third is almost ripe and the bottom third isn't quite there
    - what are the consequences to the rest of the plant if the tops are picked?
    - is it better to harvest the plant all at once?

I'm growing indoors, soil, with foxfarm products.

Also wondering if anyone has successfully turned a blooming girl back to veg after all the good buds are harvested??

2. a lot of growers take the big colas first and let the rest go another week or so. Its up to you buy your plant will be fine how ever you do it.

Me personally would do what you asked. harvest the colas that are done and let the rest go.

3. yah I'd say 70% of the time I harvest the top 3/4 of the plant and give the bottom 1/4 another week because the bottom isn't ripe yet...

and dont worry you wont kill the plant by chopping most of it down

I hope I helped you out

good luck

4. Hell you can even leave some leaves on her after you do harvest, reveg it and toss it back in flowering.
    If MJ can survive reveg/rebud after we chop all the buds off, it can survive a half-threequarter harvest. Do it up and lower the light (or raise the plant, however your setup is)

5. Great answers above!! Its fine to chop ripe colas, this then allows more light to get to the un-ripe section of the plant, let them ripen, and chop, and continue in this pattern. Our plants can survive through great amounts of stress unlike some finicky plants Ive grown when I was younger.

6. Thank you all!

I just bought a magnifying scope with light at radio shack for about $12. model: MM-100 Micromax.

Last night the trichs were still clear to milky. I snipped a bud, near the top and dried it and this morning - taste is good.

So I understand that to turn it back to veg, I need to put them back on 18/6 schedule and give them a lot of nitrogen - is Big Bloom the right nitrogen rich foxfarm product to use?

7. No you will want to use the Grow Big

8. yup nitrogen and 24hrs light is best to help speed things along. I took a clone from my near the end of flowering plant, and it has already rooted and revegged in less than 10 days, but that's my strain.

9. I was just asking basically the same thing you were. I guess I should watch your thread, you're getting way more responses.

Is there a mainstream store that sells foxfarm products?

10. :eek:
    ohoooh...I had to decapitate three of my girls tonight when I went in to water - the buds were so thick and tight at the top that they got mold - humidity is ranging from 60 to 84% - none of the other ladies had as many buds bunched at the top as these three.
    I almost panicked but when I discovered the first one, I switched gloves and continued to look at the others and everytime I found one I switched gloves - I took them out of the grow room and then went back to caring for the remaining 12 ladies. After I was done watering, I sliced off the moldy buds but did not return these ladies to the lights. I'm afraid to put them back in there. I think I'm going to start putting them outside in my veggie garden tomorrow. Is there something I can treat the room with now while the ladies are in full bloom to stave off mold? Should I post this to a different forum?

btw, the trichs are all pretty much milky on the buds at the top and middle of the plant and the hairs are mostly reddish/purplish...

11. Don't know why I got more responses.

here's a link to foxfarm's store locator:

http://foxfarmfertilizer.com/buyfox.html
    I think you can also order on line but I go to a grow store not far from me. They have a nice feeding chart available on their website.

I was reading an ed rosenthal post somewhere on the net but couldn't find it this morning, another term used for re-veg: double harvest. But so far all I have learned is indica doesn't like it while sativa doesn't mind. When I find some useful, reliable info, I'll post back to this forum.

The reason I'm considering this is because the clones I took 6 weeks ago, I dropped (oh shit!!!) and broke all but 3. So when the surviving 3 clones were ready, I chopped them up and the resulting clones are not ready for 18/6. so in the meantime, I'm going to try to re-veg the 12 I have left in the next few days.

12. If your worried wash the walls, and floor with Murphy's Oil Soap, it's not harmful so your plants can stay in the room unlike if you were using bleach to wash everything down. If the other plants don't have mold get a dehumidifier to bring the humidity down to the 40-50% level, that will keep mold from forming in the rest of your buds. Look for a dehumidifier that you can set to a specific % instead of those dial ones, you will pay a little more, but a nice one will make things soooo easy, and last longer.

13. that late in flower, and providing all of the plants in there are scheduled to finish the same time, I like to keep the humidity at about 30% or less if possible. Get that dehumidifier. 50% during beginning to mid flower, towards the end when they are packin on weight, go as low as you can go, they can handle it. I can get mine to 25%, they love it, and there are no mold issues. If your humidity is high during lights on, you can almost bet that there is condensation on your plants an hour after lights out, and that causes the mold big time. You can also get several cans of DampRid and place them in there as they will wick moisture out of the air, if that don't cut it, make room for a nice dehumidifier.

14. A friend came over today and said it was bud rot. after thinking about it, I figured out what happened...
    Two days ago it rained pretty much non-stop and dumb me chose the first night of rain as the night to go dark for a session. I should not have gone dark during this time. This was suggested as a way to make the trichs turn color faster. The fans were running throughout their sleep period. I should have turned up the fan and increased ventilation to prevent anything from settling down.

When they are sleeping, the humidity today was 48% - the range for the last 24 hours is 48 to 78% and it did not rain last night! All the other ladies are as happy as clams and busy busy busy maturing. I'll see if I can get some DampRid (hoping it's not too $$$) - thanks for telling me about it as purchasing a de-humidifier this week is not affordable for me at the moment and the dampest part of the season is about over here so I may have squeaked by - at least I'm hoping so.

so if I wash my mylar walls with murphys oil soap, won't I be increasing the humidity in there?
    more L8R
    rivergirl

15. Never heard of the Damp-Rid but it sounds like a good cheaper way to go...or boxes of BS to soak up moisture. Yes washing your walls down with Muph's Oil Soap will increase humidity, but thats why you get good ventilation going, and they will be dry in a few hours depending what your room temps are. But since you now think its bud rot washing your walls of contamination shouldn't be nessisary. Let this be a lesson for you though, don't run your fans at night when its raining, and don't let humidity levels get above 50% range.

Good luck with finishing up your grow.

16. You can still make bubble hash, iso hash, or butane hash with rotten bud.
    DampRid is like $5 for a half gallon size container (or somwhere around there)

17. Rivergirl, there has been a lot of good advice here. But one consideration seems to have been missed. Depending on the strain, an earlyish harvest is not a bad thing. The up high is more pronounced, again, depending on the strain. For all of my cropping- even new strains- I like to taste the early harvest. There is a special flavor to be had there.

Reveg and all of that, has never been as easy of fast as just starting another plant from scratch. But maybe that's just me.

gm.

18. finally the trichs turned orange on the buds I picked (130.5 grams) - none are clear, all are milky or orange. I looked at trichs before cutting the buds and only cut the 'ripe' ones. I can't figure out how to get close-up with my new camera - my old camera just fell out of my pocket just one too many times!) The big leaves I picked off were very purple and I will note that when you look at the underside of the smaller leaves on the plant, even though the tops look green, the undersides ridges/veins are very pronounced purple. I noticed this the last time I grew this strain (GDP) and it was a good bench mark for when to start looking for milky trichs.

I weighed these buds to just see what they shrink/dry up to. The pic of the single bud weighed in wet at 27.8g !!!

I've been tasting a bud everyday for the last week and even tho I used a quick dry method - it smoked/tasted pretty smooth in a pipe and no 'green' taste - and best of all very little if any coughing! Have not tried rolling it yet.

I can't wait to have a smoke out in a few days :smoking::smoking::smoking::smoking::p

Attached Files:

19. Ahh, after my own heart!
    Not too many things more satisfying than a smoke out with your own harvest. Like coasting down a long, nice hill on your bicycle! Enjoy, rivergirl!

gm