Harvesting question....

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by northside420, Sep 13, 2013.

1. My plant seems ready at top but still flowering at the bottom..... can I clip the top off without killing the plant? The hairs on top are orange and the bottom are still coming in and white...

Sent from my SCH-R530M using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

2. Hey bud, ya you can harvest the top half that's done an leave the bottom until she ripens up a bit. Are you sure tops all the way ready though? Plants still looking pretty good. Checked trichs at all with a loupe?

3. The color of the pistils is not the way to tell when to harvest. Check the trichs.

4. Nice plants man

Sent from my LGL86C

5. Looks to me like you've got a few weeks to go on this one, but it's hard to tell by the pics.

6. Um...didnt know what a trich is never heard of so I google.... and it came up ....STD sexually transmitted disease.... this my very first grow so im not the brightest crayon in the box...but um....... what the hell is a trich:D and how would you test?

Sent from my SCH-R530M using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. .. trich is the crystals on the bud the thc, if its clear then its not Rdy.. almost amber like then its good to harvest. As you can see mine isn't Rdy to harvest yet also lol

Attached Files:

8. its short for trichome, which are the little crystal looking glands on the nuggets. You look at it with a magnifying loupe that magnifies at least 30 if not 60 or 90%.

Look at the little balls on the tips of the glands and see if they are clear, milky or golden. It will be a mix but your aiming for most of them milky and some, around 5%, turning amber.

9. There's a really good thread about when to harvest based on trichome colour (they're also called 'glands' btw).

The collection of results is here http://forum.grasscity.com/harvesting-processing-medical-marijuana/915977-when-harvest-maximize-thc.html/page-6#entry13149716
    and there's a graph summarizing the results here http://forum.grasscity.com/harvesting-processing-medical-marijuana/915977-when-harvest-maximize-thc.html/page-8#entry18661323

If there does end up with a large discrepancy between the top half and bottom half of the plant, you can chop off the top, lower your lights, and give the rest another few days until it's ready, that's quite common.

10. Howando, that Trich Chart is pure genius. Thank you for such an informative post. I think im gonna go home and chop the top hald of my plant... wish me luck.

11. There's what looks like a bunch of PM on the entire right side of the top and a few fan leaves unless of course that's just a bad picture.