harvesting help

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by out2getme, Sep 1, 2003.

1. I think it's time to harvest. The kola's aren't getting much bigger, they where only grown w/ flouros (400w hps is in the mail)
    My alpha plant has the biggest kolas, though the crystaline structure is lacking, but the leaves are ALL dying, and nothing seems to be helping them. So i'm thinking before the whole plant goes to shit, i'll harvest. Is this line of thinking correct? Below is the picture of the dying alpha plant, and further down is the nice hyper-crystalized plant whose leaves seem to slowly be dying from the tip back.
    As soon as the HPS arrives, i'm starting over.
    Sooooooooo. . . .
    Can i harvest? what should i do besides hang them upside down for 5 days (maybe shorter, i live in the super dry desert)?
    I'd love to here from you Woody, I owe most of my success to you.
    Thanx guys.

Attached Files:

2. another angle . . .

Attached Files:

3. here's the plant I'm really looking forward to smoking . . .

Attached Files:

4. this is the one i look forward to smoking

Attached Files:

5. she is still not finhis wait som more and gett the master leaf of the plant u nead it fore flower

6. At harvest-time all you have to do is cut the plant as low as possible and hang the whole thing upside down to dry on a line. The room you use to dry should be the about the same size you grew in (if not the same room). The humidity should remain a constant 50-60%. Too high and buds will mold, too low and they dry too fast and taste bad. Temperature should be around 65-68 degrees, wherever possible. Make sure the room is dark, as light degrades THC. Make sure you hang the plants so that they do not touch each other (invites mold). With constant temp and humidity, the plants should be ready for manicuring in 3-4 weeks. At this time trim colas from the main stalk, and trim large and medium fan leaves (save them for making hash), leaving most of the smaller leaves sticking out of the bud in tact. Hang them up again and for a day or two, until 'popcorn' dry. The stems should snap when you bend them, and the bud should be dry, but not brittle.

mm n then you can also cure em, which will make them taste a bit fresher and be a bit more potent, you can go about this process as so -

Trim all remaining leaf (save for hashmaking) tight to the buds, and trim smaller buds from larger stems. Store them airtight; air at this point degrades THC. Note- ziplock bags are not airtight! You could use buckets with an airtight lid like used for food and sauces and such, but the best containers are those glass jars with the rubber seal and latch. Just put as much bud in it as possible using light pressure. The point is to fill it as much as possible, so not too much air remains in the container. The less air, the better. To be safe, check them the next day to make sure it's still dry (did not 'sweat'). Any excess moisture at this point will invite mold. If it did sweat and is moist (soft) again, lay the bud out on something other than newspaper and put in a dry place to get the last water out.

Repack and place the container in a cool, dark place, like a refrigerator. Note- fridges have high humidity so they must be absolutely airtight.
    The longer it sits (up to around a month, maybe longer in the fridge) the better it gets, both in taste and potency. At around the month mark, you can move it to the freezer to almost stop the aging and curing process. Once you've got some buds stored in the freezer, you have a private stash that will last a long time. If you've got the patience to wait, the smoke will be sweet and smooth. The high will be mellow, and longer lasting

7. good advice there stylez......lol......as for the plant itself.....how long has it been in flowering?...and what ferts and how often have you been adding them, from the pic it looks like a slight overfert, mixed in with the plant using all the nitrogen, that's stored in the leaves, which is completely normal if the plant is approx 6-7 weeks flowering and is a strain that usually takes approx 8 weeks to fully flower.......check the ph of the soil as well, as if you have given slightly too much nutes, you'll be able to tell by the soil ph..............Peace out.........Sid

8. i'm not adding any fertilizer, but the soil is fertilized. also, i have one of those food dehydrators, can i use that to cure?

as for the dying plant, i want to get the kolas off if it's dying, i'm sure it's as big as it's gonna get.