Harvesting help

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Aversai, Apr 24, 2012.

1. So I've been doing my research on harvesting and was wondering if I could get some outsider experienced help. First of all what percentage of trichs should be amber compared to milky? Also will the leaf die off be a sign that they are ready or that they beginning to be ready? Is there always this yellowing regardless of plant near harvest? Finally do all strains get sugar coated or does that only happen on certain strains? I have an indica that is almost ready but it is barely coated. Thanks guys!

2. The amount of amber is totally up to you. I like a lot for the strains I grow. No real percentage I just want to see amber clusters everywhere without having to really look for them. Some strains will give you a better high with less amber, so you should try harvesting at different times if your cloning and keeping strains.
    All strains won't yellow or lose leaves. If they do its not a definite sign of bud maturity. At the same time the yellowing is or can be purely natural.
    No all strains don't get that "sugar" coated look. Some of the best strains I've ever smoked looked kinda brownish green, dark, and did not glimmer at all to the naked eye, but under a scope was PURE amber, knockout.

I think that covers your questions hope this helps some.

BeZ...V

3. I AM NOT AN EXPERT--My experience say wait at least until the glands are milky with some amber. A couple of dudes I know like a bit more amber, 25-30%. I have started to like, for me, a combo of milky and amber, but i also let a MAJORITY of leaves to fully yellow and still look and the red in the hairs even though the method of choice is glands these days. So for me I use all three. If the hairs aren't done but the glands are done, take it down and if not then and there, within the next day or two. If the hairs are done the glands should be too. The yellow leaves are just a natural part of the plants life and a sure sign of the nearing harvest. I have learned the hard way that i have been harvesting too early and whether or not I cure correctly the full smell never develops and never smells "right" Especially if you put it jars too early. Too late and you will end up with DRY bud in the end. There seems to be a small window of about a day and a couple I know say 6-8 hour window. This time I have a plant that almost died but came back with a big fuck you and is now a monster. smells spicy even thought it's strawberry blue. When I dry, I will take one a bit moister and cure it in one jar, one a day or two later and the last the driest. just for my knowledg, i'm not suggesting this. I need someone to show me.

4. Going by trich's is doing it wrong!
    Everyone thinks of harvesting cannabis the wrong way. It's not a lab science (...well, it CAN be, but that's a whole other thing) think about it like growing fruits & veggies. Even if you've never grown one in your life, when you want a piece of fruit, you pick a ripe, plump, full, heavy, sweet piece of fruit, not a dud. Same goes for cannabis!

Now, I'm not saying the trich's are useless, they're not. But they're more of a harvest aid, than a harvest timer. In other words, look for your plant's buds to be full, dense, plump, resinated, and with receded hairs (that means hairs have gone "back" into the bud, rather than when the haris pop out like SOOOOOOO many newbs tell you!). When you have that look & feel to your buds, you can "make sure" with your loupe/microscope/whatever, I usually like letting my strains go to FULL maturity (both appearance and trichs), which for me trich wise usually means about 60% amber and 40% cloudy, maybe a bit more depending on the strain & grow conditions and what not.

Point being, don't tie yourself up in the appearance of your trichromes, but rather on the whole plant itself!

Good Growing and Happy Toking!

5. That is great advice thanks tokerman! It makes sense as well because I've been seeing some amber already and it doesn't look like they are ready at all. I'll take that advice.

A new question then, how often to strains go longer than their 'average' flowering time? I know it's never perfect but I'm coming up on 8 weeks and none of my strains look ready, 6 are sativa and 2 Indica and I'm wondering if that sounds strange to anyone.

6. Always glad to help! One might say that's why I hang around these parts of the forum!!!

I'd say 100% of the time statins overshoot their marketed flower time. After all, it's in the breeder's best interest to sell you a shorter flowering time! You can harvest at this point but I guarantee you it's not it's peak ripeness.

Also when talking about actual flowering (from the plant's point of view) the first week or so of 12/12 light isn't a whole lot of flowering, it's more prepping for flower. That's why I discount the first week I flip my gals from my flower time.

Also, your strains are fine. Stop worrying too much about your "schedule"!
    8 weeks isn't a whole lot, your Indicas (I'm guessing you have Indica dominant hybrids and not true landraces) should be finishing up writhing a couple of weeks or so, and your sativas probably a month or so after THAT.

Good Growing and Happy Toking!