Harvest, when to trim

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by jblewballz, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Ok i flushed last night and gonna chop in 2 weeks. I always screen dried buds, this time im gonna hang the whole plant. My question is should i trim the fan leaves then hang and trim the rest so i can make oil with it. The last batch of oil did nothing and i used fresh bud and leaves. My first batch made with dried bud and leaves gut my wife high for 2 days off a little in her salad.

Should i cut slices in the stalk to help drying or something. Thanks

2. I trim off all the fan leaves before chop then hang the plant and trim smaller leaves i like to leave most of the sugar leafs on and trim those once dry usually after 4 or 5 days then into a paper bag for 2 days then into jars i dry sieve my trim for kief 😆

3. Trimming while the plant is fresh will be much easier.  If you cut it and then hang it, trimming will be difficult as the leaves with wither and curl up.  Do all you trimming at the time of harvest, and you can use metal coat hangers for the initial dry.  When they get cripsy, cut them of the stems into an air tight container and start the curing process.  During the curing process, you will be trying to wick the moisture from the core of the nug so that it can evaporate away each time you "burp" them as well as giving the plant time to burn off some of its sugars and other things that will make it harsh, but that is another conversation.

4. it depends on your drying environment.

if your temps are too hot and/or your RH is too low you're gonna want to keep everything on the plant for 48 hours or so to slow the drying process 

if you have a cool, stable humidity environment you can take everything off right away and it will dry faster

personally i do a mix because i have 60s temps but RH is too low for good drying I leave the fans on for 24 hours cut and keep other leaves on for 3 days before fully trimming and dry for a total of 7 days before jarring 

5. I just hate trying to extract the curled up leave so I CAN cut them if the plant hangs for any time.  With sticky ganja this can REALLY be a chore.  If your drying area is too dry, just hang it for a couple days and then go into air tight container sooner.  The jars will allow you to slow the process down and get the flavor you (and I) are seeking.

6. Yeah i think i may trim it all when i chop it. I may throw the clippings on a screen so i can make some oil with them. Can i use the stems and stalk to make oil as well

7. I will take a paper bag and poke bunch of holes in it for the trim and then hang it somewhere.  I try to shake the bag up a few times a day while is it drying so it doesn't mold.  Stems contain no THC.

8. Ok thanks, also should i cut branches and hang em, or hang the plant whole

9. It will make trimming easier if you are not trying to groom up a 3' long branch.  Keeping a good portion of the stem will slow the drying process (you want this).  Don't cut them in pieces that are too small until you are putting it in jars (after it is initially dry to the touch).

10. If humidity and mold is a problem in your area I highly recommend a good trimming before hanging. Leaves laying over the bud can lead to issues you may regret and wish you had taken the extra time with trimming wet.

11. RH and temps will not be a problem, well with lights out rh is around 35-40 and temps can range from 64-68F. I have a humidifier with humidstat and a dehumidifier. What should the rh level be and am i right in thinking im suppose to keep lowering the rh until dried, or just dry em in the room i have without changing conditions?