Harvest Question EXPERIENCED GROWERS ONLY PLEASE

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by riverrat989, Dec 2, 2008.

1. I have been getting some great info from gc and a buddy of mine. He's been growing for about 10 years now, so i trust his judgement. He says when the pistols change colors on about 80% of the buds, I should cut off the light for 48 hours straight. He says it makes the crystals pop like crazy. Sooo a few questions: Can you tell plants are ready to harvest just by the hairs alone? I've heard that the trichromes also can tell a big part in it. The should be clear or cloudy. Amber trics are bad, correct?? And if anyone knows the indoor flowering times for my strains, that would be awesome. I've got Raspberry Kush, Sour Diesel, and The Third Eye. Thanks!

2. I harvest when 50% of the trichs are amber as observed through a hand held microscope from radio shack. This technique was taught to me by others on this forum and has served me quite well. A 72 hour period of total darkness before harvest is employed by many of the worlds best indoor growers; I plan to try this on my next indoor harvest. I hope this helps you. As far as strain finishing times, there is a great strain guide on icmag.com you could try. Also, you could check with the seed bank you bought them from.

3. Is it necessary to purchase a microscope to look and make sure or is my buddy a little OCD?

4. Also, all three were bagseed. The Third Eye is in the third Cannabible that I have, but only gives finishing times for outdoor grows. But ill check that site for sure man

5. Its necessary, 10 bucks at radio shack for a pocket microscope, goes all the way to 100x

[​IMG]

6. Anony thanks for the pics bro, that helps

7. yeh your mates spot on, you can tell by the hairs but its 2008 brother not 1960,s-70,s,use a microscope & let the trichs tell you.;).......
    & again he,s spot on leave in dark for 48hrs will produce more trichs & before putting into dark period pull some leaves off to stress her out which again helps in trich production.

sorry cant help with your strains but sure some of the good folks on gc will help ya out.

peace bro:smoke:

8. Have you all heard of giving the plants cold water like a week before harvest as a type of low-stress treatment???

9. I havnt, although I would think any change in temperature would be more stress, not less.

10. Right (he called it low-stress) but my dude told me it makes the trics pop out like a mother fucker. Is that true?

11. that last week before harvest is more for letting the trichomes ripen.. the plants are near death and won't "pop out" any more trichomes than it already has.

12. Another question for yall. When should i cut off the nutes and start flushing the buds?

13. do that once you see your first amber trichomes.

also as far as buds producing more trichomes in a 48 hour dark period.. that is 100% false.
    even if these trichomes magically appeared in 24 hours they'd all be clear anyway...

14. Sweet thanks dude

15. no problem dude.

just think of the logic behind the whole darkness thing..

if you put your plants in 48 hours of dark:

#1 how can all of those trichomes just pop out so fast, when they normally take weeks to develop?

#2 if they did.. why would you want to smoke 2 day old trichomes anyway?

16. Glad to see someone address this myth with some logic

17. Sounds like your dude has been dreaming about growing for ten years. IMO Much Love.

18. This is why AW is the man!

19. Ha ha ha. Thanks guys. Y'all are the shit!