Harvest Issue

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by bigtg, Jan 11, 2018.

1. So it has been about 4 days since I have harvested my last crop, now I am having a few problems and I hope someone can point me in the right direction; this being my second grow I definitely do NOT have drying down. It always seems to be after the first day or two the bud becomes almost to dry to fast, and the comes the hay smell. My room conditions are about 66 F and about 50% RH I have a fan in the corner of the room that turns on every 2 hours for about 30 min at a time. Also I noticed when my buds were still attached to the plant some of the felt pretty dense; Now that they have been drying the majority are airy and larfy; Is this due in part to the genetics or did I forget something during flower? Maybe not strong enough feedings; (I was growing organically; and had 2k W lights for six plants) So I'm not sure what else it could be.

2. Buds lose about 80% of their wet weight when drying.
    That is accompanied by a volume loss, because that 80% water takes up volume.
    Putting it differently, drying causes buds to shrivel.

3. #3 bigtg, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    Yes I am certainly aware of the 80% water weight loss; But do you think it is also in part due to the genetics them-self? Because the first time I had grow them I was using bottle nutrients; and they were about 10% larger than the buds that are drying now, but they also were similar in the way the had dried out; the were airy, not very dense; larfy, etc. Just trying to figure out what the problem is for next time around; this run these ladies went 13 weeks:blink:

EDIT: I guess what I am asking is how can I better attain the optimum drying conditions so that I do not dry to fast and cause the hay smell to occur?

4. Bigtg, your issue is normal but easily fixed. Growing is one part of good cannabis. Drying/curing I'd argue is more important.

Your buds will lose 80% weight when drying, don't weigh wet or you'll cry.

66F and 50% humidity is fine to dry in don't get too caught up on that. If you want to control it better buy some painters tarp and build a super cheap dry room.

AS LONG AS YOU DRY PROPERLY the curing process will densen your buds nicely and get rid of the hay smell.

Good luck! People dry cannabis in Africa, Alaska, Hawaii, India. You can't always have perfect conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1