Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Harmful Effects of Marijuana List

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by nahitscool, May 15, 2010.

1. #101 Nuthen, May 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2010
    Yeah, like saying anything bad at all about cannabis means you're anti-cannabis

also, being anti-smoke is not being anti-cannabis, since nobody can claim that emphysema is a result of THC consumption.

2. There hasn't been one case of any cannabis only user developing any kind of lasting permanent lung damage.

Considering the length of time of known cannabis use and the results so far - I think it's safe to say that smoking it poses no real threat.

:rolleyes:

Lung damage is not an effect of marijuana. It's an alleged effect of smoking it. The argument is not about whether or not the actual plant causes issues, it's whether or not smoking it does.

THC itself is harmless. Period.

3. Apparently, intentional hyperbole still goes over your head. :rolleyes:

4. i dont know about you but sometimes when im high i get a raging boner like no other so this list is bullshit

5. It wasn't obvious.

6. It's not obvious when that's said on a clearly pro-cannabis forum?

Okay then.

7. We're going around in circles. The whole debate started because you used the "thousands of years no recorded cases argument" While I agree it is true, it is a flawed argument, because it would be impossible to verify every death, investigate the health of anyone who ever smoked cannabis heavily, and every case of emphysema. I agree its a reassuring argument, and an effective one when you're trying to bring someone over to our side, but, still conjecture. Having said that, we should stop the pointless arguing.

8. haha

seriously? pages and pages of arguing over whether or not smoking weed can or can not cause emphysema? damn guys, just smoke some weed and relax

9. I put up 3 dude. All of which said fine particulate matter causes emphysema. Did you not read them?

Fine particulate matter is given off when something is burned. What happens when you smoke weed? Are you not burning it?

Thus, when you smoke weed, you run the RISK of developing emphysema.

That's all conjecture.

They consider "heavy" use to be once a day. Smoking once a day is not going to give you lung problems. Smoking 15-20+ joints a day very well might. But being as how there haven't been any studies done on such heavy users, there isn't yet any conclusive evidence. Does that mean it's not happening? No. That just means they haven't done the studies necessary to determine it.

You show me ONE study, that followed a large group of 15-20+ J-a-day tokers (the same as the average cigarette smoker), that shows no increased risk of emphysema or cancer, then I will gladly concede. Until then, you are going to have a hard time convincing me that someone who excessively abuses cannabis (and as such, is inhaling an obscene amount of fine particle matter) isn't pushing their luck in the emphysema department.

I still find it amusing that you're willing to argue with a medical journal, and a site made by people who's career is air quality/pollution, and it's affects on people... And post up links to sources like erowid and wikipedia.

Quit being so naive, dude.

Next thing you know you'll be saying it's not physically addicting. :laughing:

10. I don't think it is physically addicting. It can be psychologically addicting, of course.

11. It's not about that man... It's about getting the correct information out, because there are people who believe everything they read in a High Times magazine, or erowid, or wikipedia... And go around spreading a bunch of propaganda...

Smoking ANYTHING will increase your risk of developing emphysema. Increased risk does not mean you're going to get it. There are other factors that come in to play. But it DOES increase your liklihood of getting it. Much in the same way eating a diet high in fat increases your chances of having a heart attack. Doesn't happen to everyone, but for some people it might.

12. #112 Unwise, May 17, 2010
    So, you want a study that shows that heavily excessive marijuana smoking (7.5-10g) a day is safe?

:lol:

:wave:

13. lol the parts saying that it makes you unmotivated the only reason that happens is when your all burnt out have a nap and you'll be as motivated as ever.

14. LOL is right.

That's all I've said from the very beginning (that if one were to smoke weed, in the same amount that typical tobacco smokers smoke tobacco, they run the risk of emphysema)... And you argued, rather vehemently, that I was wrong... Sooooo.... :laughing:

15. No, you argued that marijuana smokers are at risk of emphysema.

You've just now switched your argument around to try and make it look like a joke.

Just get lost, kid. :wave:

16. it has come to my attention that water can kill you...

...by drowning in it

17. Water can kill you via overdose.

18. ACTUALLY.. My very first post in this thread said that smoking anything "increases your chances" of getting emphysema. And that's the truth. Increased amount of fine particulate matter in your lungs directly corresponds to an increased risk of emphysema (and I posted several respectable sources proving that - which you continue to blatantly ignore). Notices how I said RISK. Increased risk does not necessarily mean that you're going to get it (again, I said that repeatedly).

It's funny how you call me a kid, and you can't even fucking read properly. :laughing:

Learn how to read, KID. Then come back and try arguing.

Oh, and while you're at it... Go figure out that medical journals are much more reliable sources than wikipedia and erowid. :rolleyes: :laughing:

Especially considering all your studies are based on relatively moderate use (once a day is not heavy, by many peoples' standards).

19. But you couldn't even provide a real link stating, in particular, cannabis increases the risk.

Except in the studies where it states that, specifically, heavy smokers don't show any signs of constricted airways either?

Good job neglecting that.

PS, I thought you were gone?

20. #120 IGotTheCottons, May 17, 2010
    Let's see... Burning ANYTHING creates fine particle matter. That's what smoke mostly consists of... That's common sense... So therefore, when 3 sites show that increased fine particle matter in your lungs, directly corresponds to an increased risk in emphysema (so obviously, the more you inhale, the higher your risk - the less, the lower)... It doesn't take a rocket scientist to put 2 and 2 together.

Once again, MJ doesn't cause constriction of the bronchi - which are at the tops of your lungs. Emphysema forms when too much fine particle matter works its way into the bottoms of your lungs, and interferes with your lungs' ability to expel carbon dioxide (which I didn't ignore, like you said... I mentioned before that emphysema starts in the lungs, so the bronchodilatur aspect is irrelevant, as the bronchi are at the tops of the lungs, and fine particle matter ends up in the bottoms).

Smoking ANYTHING, regardless of what it is, is adding fine particles to your lungs. The more you smoke, the more you're pushing your luck of developing lung issues.

And like I said before, most studies are done with "heavy" users being classified as anyone who smokes daily. So a person who smokes a J/Blunt a day isn't very likely to experience issues... But people who smoke many times a day... May be running a risk... That's all I've said from the get-go.

Maybe you should be less itchy for an argument, and a little more teachable... There's a lot to be learned, and it's hard to learn new things when you're completely closed off to the idea from the get-go. I used to not think weed had any serious risks, too... Then I started reading up on it, and it turns out, the risks are there. Even when you read the pro-weed arguments, they use words like "thought" and "might" a lot. Leaving room for interpretation.