Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Harmful Effects of Marijuana List

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by nahitscool, May 15, 2010.

1. "Actually, some of those are accurate. It can decrease motivation, especially in heavy users. Paranoia & anxiety are also possibilities... As are the obvious ones like 'sleep eyes' increased appetite, and dry mouth. Smoking can affect your immune system (and that's smoking anything, not just weed - it's no so much the substance, as it is the fact that you're smoking something). It also increases heart rate with mild-moderate use, and decreases it with heavy use. It can potentially cause emphysema (due to smoking, as smoking anything increases your chances of getting emphysema)... It doesn't reduce sex drive, sperm count, or cause birth defects. I also hear it helps with PMS, but being a guy, I can't really back that up, lmao. It hasn't been shown to cause cancer, but we can't rule it out yet, as it does have similar levels of certain carcinogens as tobacco."

the cancer thing is total bullshit and people with problems with paranoia and anxiety shouldn't smoke to begin with.
    the decreased motivation is also just based on personality.
    try telling someone who put themselves through med school or law school while smoking that they suffer from decreased motivation.

marijuana does have some negative side effects but they aren't the ones people demonize it over.

2. #62 Unwise, May 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2010
    Breathing oxygen causes psychosis.

It's never happened before, but there's nothing to say that it doesn't cause it.

:rolleyes:

Do some reading, kids:

Emphysema - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Emphysema is caused by toxicants from cigarette smoke being trapped in the lungs.

Toxicants that are NOT in marijuana.

Emphysema - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Furthermore: treated by bronchodilators

THC is a Bronchodilator.

Two fine examples in the case AGAINST emphysema ever being formed by cannabis smokers.

And zero evidence supporting the idea that it even may cause it.
    I'd say the only logical course of thinking is to support the opinion with evidence to support its claim.

And with the cancer idea - get the fuck out of here. There's even less evidence to support that marijuana could ever cause cancer. Cannabis helps fight cancer.

• A study was made on a group of people that drank only alcohol and another group of people that drank alcohol and smoked marijuana. The study showed that people that smoked marijuana lost less brain cells that the ones who only drank alcohol.
      Impaired thinking and mood: you are enjoying more life and satisfied with everything. Oh, and your imagination is stimulated, so yes, a little bit impaired to a better thinking sometimes.

Don't know if that's true, but studying while high might not be for everyone for example.

Ok. That IS pure BULLSHIT. It's called self-control and moderation. Anyone could feel the same by getting addicted to Pepsi.

It's true that it does speed up your heartbeat but it has never been reported of one case of someone dying from weed because of their hypertension or heart disease.

Michel Phelps. /bullshit

Proof? Source?
    Affect them positively or just "affect" them?

Marijuana has been proven to help in PMS. So many people get high everyday and still have great kids.

Ok that might be true but smoking ANYTHING during pregnancy is asking for trouble.

BS.

That is kinda true. But it is all temporary. And fun :laughing:

Can't argue much here. Those things are kinda true but all temporary still.

Hmmm.... Self-control?

AHAHAHAH. This is the funniest.

Not true in all cases but would still take caution if there is history on family.

Okay??

Not one single case of lung cancer has been reported just by consuming cannabis.

Some might disagree but that one is infact true and happened to one guy in these forums. He only smoked weed, doctor told him to stop, and he got emphysema at a very young age. Solution? Try vaping :)

Not sure at all about this one to be honest.

Well these are the kind of facts that you could never agree or disagree on. Why? Because the government doesn't spend a dollar on marijuana researches.

[/quote]
    Sure? But how are they "affected"?

3. You didn't back up these claims at all. I know there are studies out there that claim it doesn't cause emphysema, but theres must also be some that do. And about those toxins, there are plenty of them present in both tobacco and cannabis smoke. (Benzopyrene, and CO.) Does it cause emphysema? Tashkin says probably not. But that's one study. Sure its fun to think its true, but there is nothing definitive about one study.

4. Did you seriously just not click the links and read?

-rep to you for not clicking the links provided to you stating the exact same things I posted.

I'm done with people who can't hold an actual debate. Peace, kid. :rolleyes:

5. My #1 harm associated with Marijuana:
    Cleaning your room high is a great way to lose shit.

6. #67 The Audion, May 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2010
    What fucking links. You gave me a link to Emphysema on wikipedia, twice. :rolleyes: That article says nothing about cannabis smoke. Only the disease itself. You're an arrogant asshole.

Something you're going to have to get used to is the fact that we have a zero tolerance when it comes to name-calling. Please read the rules before posting again. ~AK~

7. If you were intelligent enough to actually read each link (they go to two separate parts of the page) and read my comments after each, you would've understood.

But I guess you're not, so you resort to personal attacks instead of trying to have a reasonable discussion. Later.

8. Unwise youve messed up 2 threads now. Quit trolling and blowing shit out your ass. You drag on over the dumbest shit with technicalities and piss everyone off. Stop trolling.

-1 rep for every ridiculous post youve posted, which is everyone on this page of the thread.

I really dont know how your rep hasnt gotten that high, but your name is fitting.

9. I'm trolling because I stop the spread of blatant misinformation?

Gotcha.

I can't help it that kids in the apprentice section don't know how to research things and argue with me using facts that they can't support and then still argue in the face of evidence THEY CAN'T DISPUTE.

Like yourself, apparently.

10. If you want to explain to me why cannabis doesn't cause emphysema, why didnt you just give me a link to a study that says there is no link? I don't know what you're trying to prove by showing me wikipedia. The article talks about toxicants in cigarette smoke cause inflamation of the alveoli etc etc. It mentions bullae, which can be caused by cannabis smoke according to an article someone posted here. Those toxicants are also present in cannabis smoke, idk were you heard they aren't. The two smokes are almost identical in composition minus the cannabinoids. Yes THC is a broncodilator. Honestly there is so much better info on the internet about why it may not cause emphysema, that I just wanted to play devils advocate and call out your reasoning which i found to be shallow and lacking anything scientific. Notice when I said you were using conjecture.

11. Same here. Pot is not for me, man.

12. The funny thing is, more then half of this list is bullshit. Look at the positive sides of marijuana, it can work as an anti-depressent, can loosen you up, inspiration, confidence, can take your mind off of pain in your body, sleeping aid, etc..

13. Dearest unwise, I do not intend to flame you (you already seem quite charred if not smoldering), I would however like to point out that wiki is not an infallible source of information. While there is certainly no conclusive evidence pointing toward cannabis usage causing cancer or emphysema there is likewise no conclusive evidence disproving some correlation between them.

"The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence. "

14. Really dude... Have you gone and looked at EVERY single emphysema death that has EVER occurred, to see if that person smoked only weed?

No, you most certainly haven't.

And neither has science.

There is a BIG difference between the phrases "no KNOWN cases" and "no cases".

I bet you also don't know that you can get emphysema from just getting older, from living in an area with high air pollution, and it is almost entirely caused by fine particulate matter building up in the lungs (and smoke is a form of fine particulate matter, fyi)... Other causes include the natural aging process, and genetic predisposition to the disease.

Since you went to med school, you should be fully aware that MJ indirectly works on dopamine... And also, you should be fully aware that anything that works on dopamine carries the potential to decrease motivation.

And the cancer thing most certainly is not bullshit. Weed has MANY of the same carcinogens as tobacco, and also in similar proportions. Yes, mild-moderate use carries almost no risk, due to the anti-cancer affects of THC and other cannabinoids... But how many studies do you know of that tested people who smoked extremely heavily (15-20+ J's a day, like a typical cig smoker would smoke), over the course of 40-50 years?

So really... You cannot say it doesn't, because it very well MIGHT.

I'm not saying I believe it does. Just that for some people, the potential might be there.

15. Well, I believe the anti-legalization movement has found their prime example of the harmful effects of marijuana.

16. Myths and Facts About Marijuana

17. People, smoke a joint and kick back...

18. I call straight bullshit and propaganda.

As for the affects on pregnancy...it's like they melded alcohol and tobacco, without a shred of scientific evidence to back it up. The truth is quite the opposite.

Also, the user becomes chemically addicted? L.M.A.O!!!

19. I'll believe what I've read in medical journals over pretty much anything you post. Did you even read that site?

So what I'M saying... Is people who smoke as much weed as others do cigs (which there ARE a pretty decent amount of people like that) potentially run a risk of developing diseases like emphysema and cancer.

I never once said it's a common thing. Just that the potential exists.

So how about you chill out, and maybe work on getting better sources than drugpolicy.org and wikipedia.