Hardwood (Tobacco) Pipes?

Discussion in 'Smoking Pipes, Glass Spoon Pipes' started by CobbyTheElf, Mar 22, 2021.

1. Since I have a corn cob pipe that I smoke (cannabis) out of semi-regularly, and enjoy, the next level is of course a hardwood.

Maybe not a Dr. Grabow as those can still be 30 to 40 USD, depending. Missouri Meerschaum (who made my cob) have a couple hardwood options for 8 USD.

Who else smokes out of a hardwood pipe, and has good luck with it? (I know you're out there)

• Like Like x 2
  2. [​IMG]
    Smoked Hash out of one very much like this for a couple of years when I lived in West Germany many moons ago.
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    As little toking as I do now it's usually alone a small Brass, Chrome pipe and dry ice Kief gets it done.

BNW

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Been working with exotic hard woods for about 15 years , pool cues and custom made pot pipes .
    Almost all know woods to man are toxic or raspatory issues to man.

Normally the biggest dangers are when the wood is being cut or sanded . some woods sawdust
    gives you a rash or gets in your lungs and you get a lung infection .
    I know a few people in the exotic wood working business that cant work with certain woods because they are allergic to them .

The issue with all pipes is they get moisture inside them , that moisture gets into the woods grain and can create mold or fungi regardless what kind of wood it is .
    You don't need to be breathing in fungi spores , No one should get sick from smoking pot from any kind of pipe .

All the pipes I make are made of some kind of exotic wood .
    But i line all my wooden pipes with aluminum tubing and use glass tubing inside the aluminum tubing .
    Its the only way i know of to make a pipe that isn't toxic and will not break

I have researched using certain products like most all metals ,JB weld and Liquid plastic to line the inside of a wooden pipes but so far the only thing i have found that isn't toxic is glass .

I have worked with deer and elk horn ,, yuk yuk , tastes super bad and deer and elk horn dust is very dangerous to breath in ......
    Lung infection and then death .

Generally i don't suggest any pipe that isn't made of glass just because of the possible health hazards.

Most tobacco pipe makers use Briar wood in the bowl section .

party on

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Brier wood , apple wood Pear , hickory are good woods to make smoking pipes out of . One of the most important things when making a pipe is that you need to char the bowl and cake it.

Caking is a process that happens when you use the pipe . “ Cake “ refers to the process of building up a layer of carbon on the inner walls of your pipe’s chamber! Cake, in this context, is the black layer on the inside of tobacco pipes.

Cake is made from carbon deposits that remain after tobacco has been smoked, and this lines the chamber and protects the wood of the pipe from burning. This build-up of carbon comes from the sugars in tobacco as they burn, so creating a protective cake layer can also add a hint of sweetness to your smoking.

Cake in a pipe won’t happen after one smoke, it is a process that will take time as layers of carbon gradually build up.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. I love my wooden Shire pipe. Smokes real smooth and has a nice flavor.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I've never had any of the issues you mentioned and have been woodworking almost all my life.

7. @Headhunterpipes is spot on with his information.

I make my living doing custom wood work. My work is strictly with hardwoods and exotic hardwoods .

I build furniture, cabinets , entertainment centers , etc etc just to give you an idea .

Some hardwoods and exotic hardwoods are toxic when they are being cut or sanded.
    But all inhaled wood dust is hazardous to your long-term health.

Some woods affect the respiratory system, some affect your skin, some affect your eyes , and some woods will affect all 3.

In my shop I work with Bocote , blood wood, bubinga, Ipe, Purple Heart , wenge, Black walnut, just to name a few.

I don’t like wearing a respirator, but I do just to be safe.

Some people are more susceptible to the irritants than others , but if you working with certain hardwoods or exotics , it’s good to know what your working with.

It’s strikes me as odd that someone that claims to have worked with these woods there whole life would not know that .

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. All I was really thinking of was an inexpensive American or British hardwood pipe.

Most companies tend towards briar wood, though Missouri Meerschaum uses Birch for their Hardwood options.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Love the cue sticks. I can’t see the pipes as good but if I had to base them on how nice your cue sticks are , I assume they are very nice as well .

Great job @Headhunterpipes !!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. I've never experienced a single issue with woodworking. We must have a different definition of "dangerous".

11. Everything is relative.

I'm sure everything stated is accurate, though the amount of toxicity gained through the burning of certain woods is tied both to the treatment thereof, and the quantity.

The toxins from smoking a hardwood pipe are arguably small, as the pipe itself should burn very little (otherwise, it's not that great a pipe). The levels of toxins are especially small when compared to that from tobacco.

Though, lets be honest for a moment, the inhalation of smoke from burning anything isn't that good for you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. I was just confirming what @Headhunterpipes was saying about certain woods being toxic to some individuals. IMG_1223.JPG IMG_1224.JPG IMG_1225.JPG IMG_1226.JPG IMG_1227.JPG IMG_1228.JPG IMG_1229.JPG IMG_1230.JPG IMG_1231.JPG

The list is a bit longer . I just posted these as an example

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. The cool part of this is there really isn't rules on making a pipe for yourselves .
    Really its a make a pipe and learn ,,,,,

Thoughts are is the pipe User friendly ?

Does it smoke good ?
    Does it taste good ?
    Taste like wood or harsh ?
    Is the pipe healthy to smoke out of .
    Can the pipe be cleaned ?
    How hard is it to clean the pipe ?
    Does the pipe fall over when set down ?
    How durable is the pipe ,, can it withstand being dropped or be used the other then your smoking room .

There is how good the pipe looks, is it valuable, will it carry a 2nd hand value .

Also cost ,,, some woods are very expensive ,,,
    Example is Koa
    Hawaiian Exotic Woods from Griffin Exotic Wood
    If you want something super special then normally you would want to inlay the wood with other woods or antler or tusk .

Some woods are know for cracking like Snake wood , i believe its one of the heaviest woods known to man
    Snakewood – Cook Woods

Most exotic woods from the time its cut into lumber to the time it will be use in what ever your making takes up to 15 to 20 years before its fully cured .
    In the that 15 to 20 years the wood will shrink up to 20% .and is under stress .
    The best wood workers only use woods that have been cured and stored properly for x amount of years .
    Its a total waist of time to use uncured woods ..........

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

14. I am a turner ,,, I use metal lathes with live veneer cutter on the tool post , allot of wood dust .
    Plus a CNC wood router that turns 30.000 rpms
    I do have a dust removal system but when i get busy and it gets warm in the shop the wood makes me break out in a rash and effects my lungs ..
    I use a oxygen mask now instead of a face mask wear long sleeve shirts and they come off as soon as i get out the shop and into the shower .

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1