hard time with seedlings

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by sparkalow, Jul 3, 2012.

1. I have some old ass bagseed (probably the problem). I had one successful grow with one plant. Out of 10 seeds one might germinate. Have tried 50.

I have a setup similar in the book/guide by see more buds. In it, he uses Miracle Grow pottting mix and says to adjust the ph to 7.1. Did that. I think the temps in the space may be the issue. They range from 79-83F currently.

Is that too warm for a seedling? Should I use a humidity dome with temps like that (41% RH)?

2. Personally I'd dump the Mircle Grow & get some decent soil (fox farm) or coco.
    http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-beginners/457285-ph-ppm-whats-all-about.html
    The stickies are a great place to learn to grow .
    :D

3. I'd get rid of the miracle and get some pro potting mix or foxfarm ocean, your temps are a little high, try to keep them at like 73-75 and that should fix your problems

4. ...start your seeds in something that has little to no fertilizers in it, keep the medium moist, under a humidity dome and ontop of a seedling heating mat. Plant the seeds 1/4 inch deep and cover with the medium...give them several days...if they don't pop then, the seeds are bad...keep the lights off until you see sprouts above your medium, then turn on the lights....good luck.

5. Germinate the seeds first in a glass of water or the paper towel method, if they don't germinate that way then you know the seeds are to blame :smoke:

6. Thanks everyone.

I'll move to the fox farm soil.
    As for the temps is 80F too hot for a young seedling?
    I had what I thought was a decent success for the first grow which was in winter months and the temps were low 70s.

7. i did the cup of water, and the paper towel and it worked very well.
    24 hours in the cup and 24 hours in the paper towel, and then had very large root sprouts already..

8. I use Fox Farms Light Warrior for seedlings. Some seedlings can handle Ocean Forest then there are some that can be a bit more sensitive when very young.

9. Everyone has their own way, but I like to take a moist root riot plug, sink the seed about a 1/8 to 1/4 into the plug. Then take some ffoc and fill a little 1 quart potting cup, washing the soil through a few times before putting the plug into the cup with the soil. Take a heat mat and place it under your tray and put a dome on it. I just turn on a little FL light and in a day or three...blast off.

10. I ended up using an emery board a tiny bit on the seeds and got them to work.

And, after killing many plants, it seems equal part miracle grow organic, sphagnum moss, and perlite is working well.

11. Been a while since you posted any updates. Good to hear you found something that is working well.