Hard strains to clone?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by kindone, May 24, 2009.

1. Is it possible for a strain to be hard to clone? I have a peakseeds skunkberry mother I am trying to get clones from. The mother was a clone itself, 1 of about 20 clones that I took off of several plants and was the only one I could get to root. I have just learned that my water ph was way too high in the 8,s. I have recently adjusted the ph to about 5.5 and I hope that was my problem. My temps are between 75-80f and my humidity is in the 80-90% range. I used clonex root gel and sterile tools.I have never tried to clone any other strain so I dont know if its me or the strain. In a quick google search I found a thread on another forum from 2004 that says its a hard strain to clone but I am hoping that guy was just a Daryl. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Every now and again there will be a strain that is a bitch to clone. I ran into similar problems trying to clone ATF. Try cutting your clones from the softer, newer growth near the bottom of the plant, rather than the older more "woody" shoots that form as the plant gets older. I don't have personal experience with Skunkberry, and wish you all the best with getting your clones.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I have tried taking cuttings from all over the plant. I have 8 cuttings in the dome now, 4 are 1 week in and 4 were cut yesterday. We will see what happens in the next two weeks maybe they just take 3 to 4 weeks to root.

4. Shouldn't take that long!

5. Thats what I thought but they dont seem to root easily ,hence the title. The one clone I did sucessfully root took at least three weeks. Thats why I posted a thread on this website to maybe get suggestions or help wich Hasn't worked out real well so far.

6. Depending on your lighting and environmental conditions, I've had clones take 3+ weeks to develop a nice root structure. I will toss any clones that don't have roots at least starting within two weeks however. In my experience anything that takes longer then two weeks to start rooting will grow slow and sickly.

7. I have a Hindu Kush mother that takes 25-28 days to root in the bubbler. About twice as long as any of the other 10 strains I have. Crazy though because even though she takes so long to clone, she flowers VERY vigorously and the clones are always nicely mature in 49-52 days. Her fast flower and potent stone more than make up for the slow rooting time, so I keep her around.

8. What will those starting roots look like. I have 4 @ 13 days that when I peek into the rockwool cubes I can see a white mass growing but not the little white spike root beginings that I see in pictures.

9. When I flowered my mother plants mother she grew very vigorously and finished quickly. Hopefully they just take longer to root. They all look fuckin great though, green and as perky as a set of eighteen year old titties, just no roots.

10. I am having trouble cloning the strain "mobb boss", so I just build an aeroponic cloner with an aquarium heater to keep the water warm. If it works I will let you know. Using clonex solution.

11. I've not run into one yet that gave me much trouble cloning...but heaven knows I've not cloned every strain or even come remotely close. I don't know what you're using as your technique to clone or the medium you're putting your clones into but, if you're using rock wool...immediately throw it out and order or buy some Rapid Rooter cubes. They are antibacterial and will prevent root rot and such. Try allowing your media (whatever you're using) to dry almost out....my cubes turn from a black to a dry-looking dark brown when they start to dry out. When they get to that point, resaturate with Clonex cloning gel solution that is mixed and then properly pH adjusted. If you let the solution sit for too many days, the pH will change and it isn't good for use, so I only mix a little at a time at the start and as they begin to grow and develop roots and dry out faster, I'll mix it up in a little larger quantity as I use it more often. After I take the clones, saturate the cubes and let them almost dry out, I resaturate with more good Clonex solution and do it again. About day 3, I open the vents a bit to the dome and start allowing them some fresh air and on day 4, I take the dome off for a few hours to give them stronger light. The longest I've ever had to wait on a clone to root....if it's going to root, is about 10 days, but most good growers will start to show roots by day 7 or 8 at least. I do all my cloning with a spray bottle and put no liquid in the drain tray below. As soon as I see roots coming through the cube, they go into Solo cups with really good soil (we use Roots Original) and it's off to the races from there. We're on about a 10-week cycle and by 10 weeks, I've got a nice fat happy plant ready to go in when the others are harvested. But you may just have run into something that doesn't do well in the cloning stage. I do know that when I started out trying to use rock wool, all I got was root rot. LOL TWW

12. " if you're using rock wool...immediately throw it out"

Dude - plenty of people clone very successfully and exclusively in rockwool.

J

• Like Like x 1
  13. Root development is directly tied to the status of your donor nodes. Soft, herbaceous cuts will develop roots much faster than semi-hard wood or full hard-wood cuts.

Semi to hard-wood cuts will develop, but can take much longer. I've personally seen 7 week hard-wood tops.

Identify your softer stalks and try those first.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

14. Nothing wrong with rock wool been using it for clones for years I prefer it over rapid rooters

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ive jigged with several ways. Rockwool has rooted the most successful. You just have to sterilize it first. There may be eggs or creeps hidden in it depending on where it has been previously.

16. I pretty much exclusively use rock wool and find it works pretty damn well.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum