"Hard disk error 3f1" Help Please!

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by Sudan420, Feb 17, 2011.

1. I got this on start up, did everything from the start up repairs to completly reformatting my whole system, i still get this message everytime i start up,I ran TuneUp up Utilities 2011 and that still didnt work.Can anyone help me in a step by step direction or recommend me a program to fix this:confused::confused::confused:, all inputs appreciated, thanks peeps :wave:

Btw I have a HP laptop DV4 Series 2112-Tx runnning on Windows 7, also have problems with the disk drive not able to read any cd;s, fairly new computer 1yr old exactly.

2. Apparently you arent the first one to have this problem with a dv4 series laptop. Our good friend FalconFour made a post in a different forum about this exact problem with a dv4 (different model than yours but same series). Google "hard drive error 3f1" and it should be the first result. someone posted a link to the error table for hp computers in that thread.

3. Yep, amazingly enough you seem to be only the second person ever in the history of the internet to get that error, lol... mine was caused by a (perfectly working) WD My Book drive plugged into the eSATA port. You happen to have a similar setup with yours? Anything plugged into the eSATA port on the left side?

4. 2ND person ever ?:eek:! lol only thing i had plugged in was my laptop fan this was before reformatting and doing everthing , i now have nothing plugged in and have no idea what to do :eek: HP needs to send me an HP of headies for the hell im going thru right now tryin to get this right, nothing seems to work, if u have any idea, pls post it step by step, thank you guys i really appreciate your inputs

5. So I read around and ppl said i should switch the SATA From AHCI TO IDE (i have no clue where to even start) and changing the affected drive and assign it a new letter ( no clue how to do that either)anyone willing to post simple step by step directions ? thank you

6. Oh HELL no. Not only can SATA mode not be changed on the DV4, but you DON'T EVER want to switch AHCI back to IDE. That's like buying a shiny new 1080p HDTV and pushing the button that says "disable HD mode". Why the hell even have a HDTV then? :p

TIP: Ignore the fucking error. It means nothing. Nothing is wrong with your computer. It's merely an annoyance. Imagine it's saying "derp, welcome to computer, press f1 to continue" or some shit. I could probably help further if you like, lived nearby and I could run a scan on your hard drive, but you don't, and that error is a "either it works or it doesn't" message... so since it's working, it's a bullshit false alarm caused by buggy programming by HP.

7. Thank you so much bro, I really appreciate your help, I ran a version of hard disk sentinal saying this
    "There are 216 bad sectors on the disk surface. The contents of these sectors were moved to the spare area.
    Based on the number of remapping operations, the health of the disk was decreased in different steps.
    There are 4 weak sectors found on the disk surface. They may be remapped any time in the later use of the disk.
    It is recommended to examine the log of the disk regularly. All new problems found will be logged there."

then it says Run time : 355 days and 4 hours
    estimated remaining life time : 53 days
    Performance : 100%
    Health 20%

wtf does that mean or should i just ignore this aswell

8. OK, yeah, 216 bad sectors is bad, when even having 1 bad sector is generally a cause for concern. Of course, considering a hard drive generally has several million sectors, that's not a whole lot, but bad sectors are more than I was expecting from a 3F1 error.

3F1 doesn't make any sense and I sorta wonder if it's unrelated to the bad sectors problem... 3F0 would be the error for your actual hard drive, and 3F1 is the error for the external eSATA port. That's why I was saying to ignore it, since you said everything was unplugged...

But if you've got bad sectors, then yeah, that's definitely a problem. Got to replace that hard drive before you end up with bigger problems (data loss). That's a complicated proposition, though... but I guess we can start here: do you have $50 to burn on a new hard drive? :p

9. well if that seems to be my only way outta this bs, then i guess i do have to change the Hard drive and go find someone or some place competant enough for these types of repairs here, im in Khartoum , so its not like calling up geeksquad or going to best buy back when i was in dc/va,

Another shiit of the daY MY cd drive doesnt even read cd's all this happens right when my fn warranty ran out like a month or 2 ago,

argh :(