Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

hard candy

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by LovelyLady, Oct 23, 2012.

1. I think I'm completely blind. Cuz I can't find the actual (not caramel like) hard candy recipe. I know I can use any recipe, I know how to transfer my thc/alcohol tincture into the water for the hard candy. But how do I not ruin the thc when I have to take it to 300 hard candy stage?

2. You're supposed to add it at the end after taken off the heat. It cools rapidly enough to keep the thc active.

Sounds like you got you're tincture figured out.:D

3. Just remember that oils make the best hard candy, and that alcohol and glycerin based tinctures should be avoided for
    the most reliable and effective results. :)

The consistency and solidity of hard candy relies heavily on its moisture content, and we also use the 'edible solvents' we
    do, not just to strip the glandular material from the inert plant matter, but because they are responsible for facilitating absorption....

I mention both those factors, because 1) when alcohol is used, your absorption vehicle is primarily evaporated by the time
    your candy sets up (otherwise, if excess remains, it prevents the candy from hardening), which dramatically reduces the
    rate/speed and even the amount of absorption, and can even make the difference between a functional and an entirely non-
    functional dose and 2) if glycerin is used, the consistency of the candy rapidly deteriorates because glycerin attracts up to
    20% its own weight in atmospheric moisture... in other words sticky, melting candy! Glycerin is best used when gelatin and agar,
    and fruit pectins are involved, for gummy-style candies. :)

Here you go, a simple hard candy tutorial (also lets you know when it's safe to add your oil!)....

UV GLOWING Hash or Canna Candies

[​IMG]

-"Meddy" Moose Pops-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Philosopher's STONES-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When you add your oil at the correct time, you're able to both heat your sugar high enough, that it becomes hard enough to shatter
    once cooled, and you can avoid degrading and separating your canna oil! :hello:

[​IMG]

Here's the sugar heating up, all on its own;

[​IMG]

And after adding the canna oil, just before the final 'swirl' and pour...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They taste just like regular fruity lollipops that you may buy at the fair or a country store (many of which do have an oil
    content!).... they will never taste like caramels, unless you intentionally caramelize your sugar beforehand and add milk, or butter
    with milk solids! The color comes from your hash oil :hello:

Just be sure you make a few practice batches first, using the same oil source you used with your canna, before experimenting with
    your precious canna oil! Get used to the motions you need when stirring, and when you need to make them, first.

Once you have a successful batch of canna-free candy, and you're confidant with your process, then move on to using your canna oil!

A cup or two of sugar, and a few spoons of oil and water are cheap, but your canna oil may not be so affordable! [​IMG] :D

Anyhow, good luck, and have fun! :wave:

4. I must be a dolt because all the hard candy recipes I've seen have no oil, just water/sugar/flavoring.

And as soon as I start to read your post I get lost, what do you mean by 4g hash?

5. Most of the simple internet hard candy recipes, also don't specifically call for alcohol or glycerin, we use oil because of the cannabis.

If you go to the dispensaries and caregivers with the best or most functional canna candies, you'll notice an oil source in their ingredients list. :)

And many lollipops you'll see in old country stores, and at the fairs, DO actually contain oil (more than we'd normally use!) to give the sugars and fruity flavors a hint more depth, where the oil content can help the sugar and flavors penetrate your tongue. :)

As for the hash... the older recipes in the CannaPharm still included some of the amounts of herb/hash that I used, at the time, but you should use however much (or little) you need to make your own oil, and dose your candy accordingly.
    In future recipes, I no longer give dosage recommendations as they vary much too wildly, and instead I remind members to use the math to determine their dose... a dose that will green one patient out, can leave another higher-tolerance patient disappointed. :p

Just use about as much as you'd smoke during a session, or over the course of an average day if you are a regular/heavy user, per edible dose.

To help you a bit with your own dosing; A cup of sugar is about 7.5oz. Many lollipop molds hold between .5oz, to 1oz or so of candy (heck, dum dum pops are tiny at only 5g!), while most stick-less hard candies tend to be .5oz or smaller so you can comfortably keep them in your mouth.

So just keep in mind how much sugar you're using, and how many doses you'd like to make, when adding your oil.

If you're using molds, they will either tell you the size/weight of the candies they make, so you can calculate the sugar you'll need beforehand, or you'll be able to determine how much you need for your canna candies during your canna-free test batch. :)

6. #6 PsychedelicSam, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2012
    Here's a simple hard candy recipe specifically for thc. I am going to make this today along with soft candy. This recipe doesn't call for a specific amount of oil or tincture, but I plan to use 1fl oz of oil or honey elixir that had been infused from the GD. The recipe calls for a lot of stuff but I'm going to make a more manageable batch. Medicated Jolly Rancher Hard Candies (dinosaur eggs)

There is also a pictorial on my thread from another member who has also made some simple lollipops using Melt Aways (posts 168 & 171) but it could be put in molds, too, and that is the other project for the next couple of days. If you want to wait a couple of days, I'll have a specific recipe and pictorial up. :D

7. so the hash you call for is just herb...nothing special, right?

8. I'm waiting quietly in the corner for Sam to put up his tutorial on making candies. YAY!!!!!!!!

9. Hopefully, this afternoon or evening.:)

10. I weighed my kief out but only have 1.2g. I was surprised, its been in there a while. I only took some out when I made my wine.

11. [quote name='"LovelyLady"']I weighed my kief out but only have 1.2g. I was surprised, its been in there a while. I only took some out when I made my wine.[/quote]

No need to save it up like that. An ounce or two, a set of BubbleBags and some dry ice and you'll have enough for bowl after bowl of it for months. Promise... You may even get sick of it :)