Happy Frog or Ocean Forest

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by simplymodest82, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Does anyone know if it makes a difference of which of these to use? If using Happy Frog, would one have to begin nutes sooner than with Ocean Forest?

2. I would make a dank mix of both.

3. dont combine soils..

most people use FFOF, happy frog is real good too though, but i heard some1 found bugs in their soil once, so idk.

both soils have enough nutrients to hold off on 1 month of nute watering, so just water with distilled, hope this helps.

4. Happy Frog is best for seedlings, Ocean Forest is better for established plants and clones, but they're both good soil.

5. "dont combine soils" lol why not? Thats like saying dont combine fertilizer's, or dont combine dirt with dirt. They both are very beneficial in their own ways, FFOF being packed more with guanos, kelps, and castings. Basically all kinds of stuff to keep your lady fed and happy. The happy frog on the other hand has all kinds of microbes, humic acid, forest humus, mycorr fungi. So IMO you get more benefit when you put them together Microbe populations multiply while breaking down all the good stuff in the Ocean Forest. I personally prefer using the Happy Frog w/perlite and adding my own organic nutrients and aeriated teas. To each their own though I guess, my cent:smoking:

• Like Like x 1
  6. I use FFOcean Forest. I do add more perlite for drainage and mix in some bat guano,
    and then fertilize with FFBig Bloom through the entire grow. I use Alaska fish fert-5-1-1 during veg and stop it when I go to 12/12. Then I continue use FFBig Bloom along with 1-10-1 Bat Guano and I do add a half dose of FFTiger bloom, Along with Monty's joy juice 2-15-15 at half dose. I stop all feeding one week from harvest and flush twice, wait for the soil to dry out some and harvest when ready.

7. Just my 2cents..

If I HAD to use FFOF I would use it with a mix of LW or Happy frog, or even the 3 way moonshines mix.

Right now I am using a 50/50 mix of FFOF and FFHF with 30% perlite and 10% EWC and 2 TBS per gallon of dolomite lime with success.

That said, now that I have used up my FF products, I will not be purchasing again. Way too pricey for what it is. Some say it's recycled soil. $23 is too much, unless you are truly looking to just open a bag mix, and use. The happy frog is cheaper at like $17 per 2.5cu, but..

If buying soil I would probably go with one of the sunshine mixes, if available locally.

8. i use a mix of FFOF HappyFrog and heavy perlite & sand.

9. BIG TIME!!!!

I can make up a soil for less than $5.00 per c.f. that blows the FFOF crap out of the water. Current price for this 'soil' <snerk> is $15.00 per bag (i.e. $10.00 per c.f.) with the inherent problems with regard to powdery mildew, mites, gnats, etc.

Utter crap...............

YMMV

LD

10. I am so happy that I have finally run out of my stock of this. I heard that they had a good product back in the day, but I can't confirm that as I just used their soil over the last 5 months.

LD, mind sharing your soil mix? or what you recommend?

11. I have been linking this thread by LD for the past year to those so inclined to build a good soil mix. I used a version of this mix, and have built on it since.

Like LD says.....there is really no good reason to spend your hard earned money on soil that you can build for a third of the cost.

I too use the seed meals as opposed to the blood/bone meal for ferts (although my mix has fishbone/fish meal).

For comparison, this ,thread has a couple of good recipes for build your own soils.

LD.....have you altered this basic mix of yours in the past year?

12. Chunk, I couldn't agree more, and thanks for posting that link to LD's mix.

I currently use LC's mix #2 as well.