Happiness

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by bkadoctaj, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Is it better to be happy or to try to find out what happiness really is?

In my opinion, those who try to find what happiness is will not find it.
    Those who are happy will not try to find it. Therefore, their happiness will continue.

2. Of course it is best to be happy but the process of looking for happiness or trying to understand it could bring happiness as well.
    Everyone is different and will go about making themselves happy in different ways. Just do what makes you happy and you're set.

3. You make yourself happy. It's not like, "you have to be happy to be happy."

4. I've found what happiness is and I suggest everyone look for it. It's a happiness I can't explain. It's just joy, not from a person, not from a thing, but something within me is made of bliss now.

5. Happiness isn't a possession to find or have.

It is a biological experience that comes and goes.

6. You're right that it isn't a possession.

7. I think bkadoctaj tries to hard to come off as 'deep' or whatever.

That said, everyone experiences happiness. Not all people are happy about the same things.

8. ... Irony. ++

Happiness is a State of Mind... I am a State of Mind... What State is my Choice.

9. I don't think people have that sort of control over emotions.

If something is going to make you happy, you have no control over it.

10. I personally believe it's a mutual combination of the two.

11. ... the two of what?

Posting on the internet makes me happy... I choose to post on the internet. Getting robbed sucks... I choose to laugh it off.

Nevertheless, sorrow can be a beneficial expression.

12. happiness is near impossible to find because nothing can fully make anyone happy, somthing can for a while but think somthing always happenes itas just the game of life that were all playing therefore if you want to find happiness you can live and if you can live you cant find happiness its kinda of lifes double wammy to us as a people

13. I woudl consider myself a happy person, although I have lost much in my life and had illnesses.

The secret I found (from the Bible) to happiness is love.

Sound funny?

Love is a form of giving. Wether that is giving your attention to someone when he talks, or even giving a dollar to a homeless guy.

Everyone wants attention, so when you give that to them, it fills their soul. They actually love you for it. So in essense, if you simply give your attention to someone who is seeking it, or is conversating and needs someone to pay attention, you are showing love. You will recieve it back as well.

It's interesting. On one hand, this simple rule in life makes me very happy, on the other hand, the higher you reach in happiness levels, the more haters hate on you. So my solution to that was to stay away from haters - I finally learned.

But one thing I also learned, haters secretly enjoy your company and want to be like you, they just can't figure how. So they retaliate from jealousy.

14. I think it all depends on if you're willing to go through pain and lonliness. People may be happy in the moment doing whatever, but after they've found what truly makes them happy, people will strive for that instead of what they originally wanted.

15. It seems like a false dichotomy to me; I don't see any reason why those who try to "find out what happiness is" would necessarily have to be unhappy. I'm a little unclear about your term, though. What do you mean by "trying to find out what happiness is." Are you talking about philosophers in general, new agers, people who are constantly seeking new stimulation, self-helpers, what?

16. People searching for what they think is outside of them. Is that a bit clearer?

17. Happiness is the pursuit of the self, the unyielding pursuit of your own desires and dreams, complete submission to yourself, without conformity.

And society is the inhibitor that brings misery and suffering with expectation.

18. Well, don't expect society to disappear. Expect what expects society to disappear to disappear. :p

19. Why should I expect that? :)

20. Simply because you don't yet. Letting go of your expectations provides ample space for the silence from which peace (and cacophony :p) arises.