Hanna pHep meter

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by XxJenxX, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Hey fellow members, I just got the above pH meter along with 4.01 & 7.01 buffer solution, I was wondering if there's anything I should be aware of as I'm a first time user of this. What are the common mistakes a rookie might make with use of this meter? Thanks.

2. Whoa, actually I have a great question to ask...I need to activate the electrode by immersing it in HI70300 storage solution for 2 hours. I was never aware of HI70300 until now. All I have is the 4.01 and 7.01 that I ordered with it. Can't I just use the 7.01 to activate the electrode for 2 hrs? Or do I need to have the HI70300 to perform this task?

3. i've never used the storage solution and mine seems to work just fine... just make sure it's calibrated...

4. if you really cant get the storage solution i would soak it in distilled water for 2-3 hrs, then calibrate it with the ph7 and ph 4, but i would suggest to go out and get the storage, you need it to put in cap of electrode, never let the electrode dry out

5. Hey joe, thanks for the reply, is using distilled water ok for it? In the directions it came with, it states in bold capital letters to 'never use distilled or ionized water for storage purposes'. Now I understand I'm not storing it to activate the electrode but are you positive I can use distilled to do this and for that long with no damage? I would think the 7.0 would be safer than the distilled beings that I can also store it in 7.0 or storage solution.

6. in that case i woul really get the storage, i use the storage more than anything else, i only use the 7 and 4 like once every 2-3 weeks but use the storage every day

7. yea those hanna meters specifically say don't store in distilled water... to activate the electrode i doubt it'd matter either way with buffered 7.01 or distilled water or storage solution... but for sure don't store it in there when big bold letters say DON'T DO THIS :D

but liek i said i store it dry with a wet paper towel in the bottom of the cover... never failed me... not saying it's the best thing to do it's just never messed mine up.... had it bout 4 years now

8. Here's a link to the instructional manual for my meter.

http://www.hannacan.com/PDF/manHI98107.pdf

Organic & Joe, thanks again. I was thinking the 7.0 would be safe for the activation, only thinking and not sure though. What are the differences between 7.0 and storage solution? They seem to be similar if I'm able to store it in either solution when not in use. Searching google to see what's out there for info on this.