Handmade Custom Wooden Pipes

Discussion in 'DIY and Homemade' started by Zach360, Feb 26, 2011.

1. #1 Zach360, Feb 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2011
    I have made some handmade wood pipes and I am wondering if fellow smokers like the styling of them, if they are well liked I can start making more to give to friends. They all work very well :) All constructive criticism is appreciated.:smoke:

Made a new one, Walnut and maple. The bowl is a mushroom :rolleyes:. About 9 inches long.

Update:
    Finished a small lil' guy. Little bigger than a lighter, maple pipe. Beautiful pipe ;). See pics of it, bottom of Page 2.

Attached Files:

2. They very cool looking,
    but personally i wouldn't smoke out of them
    more then a few times.

Im sure your friends would
    appreciate a hand made gift though.

3. those are ten kinds of Badass how did you do the holes? and yeah those are sweeeeet i want one lol, now can you make a hobbit pipe lol. ^_^

4. Turning these on a lathe or using hand tools?

5. I can imagine a dremel was used...

6. Yeah, but the joy of lathework is uncompared. The only tool able to produce a replica of itself!

Not to mention it's just really handy for shaping cylindrical things flawlessly.

7. #7 B-J-G, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2020

8. Thanks man. I used a 4 inch drill bit to drill out the center of the pipe.

I use a lathe.

Nah, just using a lathe.

:eek:

9. Very nice work , personally if a friend gave me one i would be in awe.

I probably would only smoke out of it a few times and then put it on display.

10. What would be the reason why you would put it on display and not get much use out of it?

Also, I have made a new one, 8.5 inches long mushroom pipe. The bowl is in the shape of a mushroom and I personally believe you all will get a kick out of it. I have to shine it tonight and I will post pics tomorrow.:smoke:

11. you aren't treating the wood on the bowl right?

12. Can I be your friend?

13. I don't treat any of the wood on the inside of the bowl. What gives them the darker color is just mineral oil, I haven't used chemicals on any of them.

14. Would you take requests for pipes?

15. It would get clogged with resin and wood is hard to clean.

16. You should consider making something like the jack herer double barrel venturi pipe. Reviews seem overwhelmingly positive, supposed to cool the smoke. Basically just two holes in the neck. Something like this but with a screw-off bowl would be awesome because the #1 complaint with the JH is cleaning. A screw-on lid would be cool too.

[​IMG]

17. I want one!!

18. Yeah, those are pretty slick. Nice work!

19. #19 Zach360, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2011
    Yes I can take requests.

I can make some that have a detachable bowl which would solve the cleaning issue.

20. The last one is my favorite.