Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Handling Police in the UK

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by N15, Jun 14, 2010.

1. #1 N15, Jun 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2010
    This post is a combination of information from government and other websites, as well as some of my own input. The point of this topic is to aid those who are unfamiliar with UK laws and how to handle the police.

In London, the police really don't fuck about. Situations involving police should be avoided at all costs and this information will really not help you, instead it will keep you informed of how to handle the situation, rather than to get out of it. Because you won't. There are some major differences in laws between here in the UK and over in the US. Some of you may read that a warrant is needed to search the boot of the car in the US, this does not apply over here. There are two main reasons why the police will stop, or stop and search you, in or out of your vehicle.

These being,
    Under suspicion of having committed a crime, or of carrying an illegal substance or weapon.
    Under section 44 of the Terrorism Act 2000.

If stopped, or stopped and searched under section 44 of the Terrorism act, the police do not have to have reasonable grounds to justify them stopping and searching you. But they are supposed to be looking for something in connection with terrorism. When stopped, the police must tell you under which act you are being stopped.
    No matter why you are stopped or searched by the police, you do not have to provide your name, address or telephone number.You only have to provide this information if you are being arrested – in which case you should say nothing to the police and immediately ask for a solicitor. If you are stopped in a vehicle, you are obliged to provide identification and your address.

When stopped, the police are legally obliged to tell you the following:

• Why you are being stopped.
    • What their names or identification numbers are – though they don’t have to give their names under terrorism searches. If they are not in uniform, they must provide identification.
    • Which police station they are usually based in.
    • What they are looking for.

What the search involves:
    The search will take place in the street.
    The police can only give you a pat down, remove outer clothes (eg jacket, hat), search your bags and have you empty your pockets. This is probably the most useful information that will be in this thread, so if you're carrying small amounts of MJ, make sure it's in your shoe, socks, in your pants or underneath your outer clothing, don't be caught off guard with a Q in your pocket, they will find it.
    If the officer asks you to remove more than your coat and gloves, or anything you wear for religious reasons, they must take you somewhere out of public view you’ll be asked to turn out your pockets and show the officers the contents of your bag they can also search your vehicle, even if you aren’t present, but they must leave a notice to say what they’ve done if you’re carrying something illegal, such as a weapon, or the police believe you’ve committed a crime, you may be arrested if they don’t find anything, your details will be recorded for monitoring purposes, and you’ll be allowed to go.

In essence, the police in the UK will and do not need reasonable cause to stop and search you, so avoid them at all costs. If you do not comply, they will search you by force. You have virtually no rights that can stop the stop and search. So don't get caught.

2. Nice read. Il remember for future :p

3. Hah, I'm glad. Although there's not much we can really do if we're in that situation.

Stay safe :smoke:

4. Man, over here in Wales people rarely get searched, the cops seem more lenient.

Although great post man, good info if it ever does happen to me. +rep

5. Thanks. I've been searched like 8 times already this year it's definitely worse in London. You'll have bully vans of six policemen stopping 15 year olds for a search, very sad.

6. Man the stop and search laws are full of bullshit. I haven't been searched, though I have been caught with bud at a house but I didn't have it on me, it was just mine so I owned up man haha.

Anyway, the laws are bullshit. If they wanted to search you for no reason though I would definitely protest, not that it will make much difference.

7. I appreciate the thread! I'm going to be moving over to Menwith Hill probably in a year and a half or so. I'm good at dealing with US police, but I don't know about those UK cops... ya'll have some police state type shit going on over there.

I don't think they could possibly be more sketch than what I'm doing now though, smoking on a military base around US Army military police, I don't have any real rights here either, haha.

8. I'm sure in the rural areas this isn't a problem, mainly in the major cities. You'll only run in with the police if you're reported, since there is such a small police present in the countryside. Whereas in the cities....

9. Nice post dude +rep.

Seems the Met don't fuck about. Always seemed like one of the more brutal UK Police forces, what with their protest tactics and so on as well. Up here in Nottingham you're pretty unlucky to get searched by the Police unless you're in a crime hot spot or something really.

At least they won't taze or shoot me over here if I don't comply though.

EDIT: Rep ya later... need to spread it around.

10. I'm nervous as shit about trying to find bud in a rural english town man. I don't know who to ask at all, and what are people going to think when some big american dude with a colorado accent is all "Hey man, know where I can get a hookup?"

11. I'm sure it will be difficult but once you're settled eventually a connect will make itself present. Or you could grow.

12. Seconded. Police in rural areas wouldn't give two fucks about looking for grows, keep it small and you'd be fine. Our grow laws aren't as draconian as a lot of American states (apart from MMJ states obviously).

13. Here's a great example of how ridiculous the police are here, and how they'll make up the law as they go along, and will also break the law by refusing to give their details, badge number, their police station, their name, which can only be refused if stopped under section 44.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un1SLypyoow&feature=related]London Police[/ame]

14. Wow that's... wow.

15. 8 times! Wow man that sucks ass.

You should take a trip over here, just mountains, sheep and some bud of course! Haha.

And yeah i think your right about the rural areas being much different to the cities, police seem to think they're the be-all and end-all in them areas, shame really.