Handbags insulting "president" in French sell like hot cakes in US

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by AmsterdamdreamN, Apr 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Handbags insulting \"president\" in French sell like hot cakes in US
    Mon Apr 26, 5:42 PM ET Add Offbeat - AFP to My Yahoo!

SEATTLE, United States (AFP) - There is no doubt that sales are hot for handbags bearing an insult -- in French -- aimed at \"our president.\" The question is: Which president?

The bag\'s designer Tom Bihn never guessed that purses with the message, \"We\'re sorry our president is an idiot. We didn\'t vote for him\" -- inscribed in French -- would be blowing out of the stores.

\"It is a mystery, but since we launched the bags with the label sewn, sales have doubled,\" said Bihn, 43. \"It is a record in the history of the company.\"

He denies the message is targeting US President George W. Bush (news - web sites).

\"It depends on either your nationality, or the president you think is an idiot; you choose.\"

Clients throughout the United States have flooded his offices in Seattle and Port Angeles with calls and e-mails to order for the bags, he said.

The company received \"varied reactions\" including \"hate mail from a French citizen who thought the label was addressed to (French President) Jacques Chirac.\"

But 80 percent of the Americans think it is an amusing message, he said.

On his company\'s website, he said: \"Everyone seems to have a \'president\' that they think is an idiot. Take your pick: Jacques Chirac, Bill Clinton (news - web sites), George Bush.\"

Neither Bihn nor his 10 employees have yet taken the situation seriously, but have launched a series of T-shirts, selling at 20 dollars each, with the same message, with funds to go to a war veterans\' center in Seattle.

Too bad I\'m a guy, or I\'d try to get me one of those purses. But I might have to check into one of the t-shirts.

2. ill take 25 insult bush shirts...

oh, and get me 1000 of these ;)
    so cute.

3. no? whats that you say? you don\'t have 1000 cus their all sold out? I shoolda known everyone wants one!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.