Hand carved wooden pipes?

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by atlashorizon, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Man, am I the only stoner who constantly carves pipes? I've been making these for years and always kind of figured other people did too. This one is my favorite and the only one I haven't given away yet. I found the wood way up in the mountains one time. The patterns you see aren't carved. They're just natural lines left by worms or insects or something while the tree was still alive.

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/6020/dscf4094.jpg
    Just a link because the picture is pretty huge.

Anyway, does anyone else carve pipes? I can't be the only one.

2. nice whats in the bowl thats partly burned? tabacco is my guess

3. Hey I'm actually thinking about carving my pipe. I just don't have access to a saw right now so I'd have to carve the entire thing from hand (except for the hole leading through the pipe leading to the bowl...I can use a drill for that) but I'm curious, did you use power tools at ALL (other than a drill) for yours? Or did you do the whole thing with a knife? Cuz I do plan on making one with a knife in my free time :).

4. Oh I also plan on using some sand paper to make it nice and smooth :D

5. Nah dude, I wouldn't smoke tobacco out of my pipes. It's actually a piece of quartz I use for a sort of screen, just pretty blackened by now. It does look like some nasty half burned shit in the picture though, haha.

Nope, all hand tools. Used a hand drill for the stem. I did use a torch to carbonize the wood a bit, but other than that just a pocket knife, a piece of sandpaper, and the drill. I'd recommend using a slow power drill for the stem if you don't mind the noise, it's a lot easier. And use a different wood other than pine, it burns really easily if you don't carbonize the bowl.

6. Hey man, thanks :). Oh I also heard if you make a honey/water mixture and apply it and let it dry over and over a few times, it will get rid of all wood taste, make it harder for the wood to catch fire, and it might even make it taste honeyish :).

7. Yeah? I'll have to try that. Usually I use hardwoods and heat treat the wood with a torch to keep the bowl from burning, but this pine was a real bitch. It took a long time to get it to burn the herb instead of the pipe, haha.

I bet with some use, the honey would kind of bake into the wood and make a permanent coating. Thanks for the idea dude, I'll give that a shot next time.

8. No problem man, I'm just happy I could help. Now I'm just wondering how maple would do, theres SO much of that around here. I know it burns pretty easy but not as easy as pine haha. The best of course would be a hardwood, but in all honesty I feel like just going into the woods and finding a nice branch to break and work from.

9. I think you might want to look at the date of the previous post.
    [SUB][/SUB]<sup></sup><del></del>