Han-Bolo's DIY RDWC Indoor Grow

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by Han-Bolo, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Me too , I get massive root growth in my 20 and 30 gallon totes

2. Good to know. I plan on running some tests inside the grow room before I start growing to monitor temps and see what needs to be adjusted.

3. Subbed dude! Looks awesome :)

Sent from Space

• Like Like x 1
  4. #25 Han-Bolo, Jul 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    I was thinking the same too. I havent bought them yet but I found some female mesh screen fittings that will fit perfectly with inserts in the bucket. Just need to pick them up. I also have a few false bottoms with small holes drilled out I was messing around with but I think that will only slow down the roots. I could always do a little rute pruning also. I dont want to though. I might just cut out a mesh insert/false bottom and push it down over the stone and plumbing that way the roots cant get to it.

5. Similar to mine
    On a greater scale .
    Nice [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
  6. what size did you choose for the tubing between buckets? 2"?

7. Those are temps from me running it 24/7 the past few days. Those temps are also consistent with what I saw when that area was packed full of plants my last harvest. I have an autostat on my portable AC and that closet is alot smaller than the picture makes it look so it does a great job of keeping the room cool. I can turn it down further if I want. Ive gotten my grow room as cold as 68* in flower with a full room and lights turned up all the way. Im not saying thats what its going to be but just what Im seeing so far. I will defintely prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Im looking into a water chiller as well. Thanks for the knowledge bro. Just trying my damnedest to keep it low budget and efficient. The blue air stones will have to do for now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. hows the PH in yours??

9. The portable A/C unit might save your ass ….
    I turned a old refrigerator into a chiller .
    But right now not running it because I got rid of the RDWC main reservoir . which you already know this .

Get that copper out of you RDWC system …
    It will kill your plants …..I am pretty hard core not to have anything metallic in my rdwc systems .

School of hard knocks ….. and the copper is a killer to plants ..
    I know someone who drove a small piece of copper tubing into a tree .
    That tree was dead 6 months later ….
    I was in the hospital and had someone looking over my plants .
    they had to copy one of my RDWC systems except they use copper/brass fitting .
    Killed ever plant that was put into that container .
    When your plants are in budding and using a maximum amount of water is when you will run into hi temp issues.
    You might want to set the lights up where they are on during the night when its the coolest .

• Like Like x 2
  10. Haha I was going to make a smart ass comment on yours like "when do you introduce all the brown sludge into the system?"

I'm.about to get out of bed and check, it's still 4°C outside so I'm not rushing!

Sent from Space

• Like Like x 1
  11. The copper is in someone elses set up not mine lol.

I'm 24/7 lights on too.

I have some thin rolled insulation laying around I could insulate the buckets for free and see if that helps keep the water cooler also.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  12. lol, morning sunshine.

Now Wake your ass up and go clean those roots off!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Haha I only managed to have a very quick look!

Ph 6.8 so much more stable

Some growth across all plants, especially soil!
    Water still clear.
    Ran out of ph down. Used vinegar - will go to shops this arvo!

Sent from Space

14. 1" inner demention, 1 use a 120 gph pump to circulate works good .

• Like Like x 2
  15. Save your wallet and having to use so much PH down and get those roots cleaned off! Your plants will thank you. Glad to hear the hard work is paying off.

16. I put one of these on my res bucket .
    Haven't had time or room to run the system completely but if it doesn't chill it I'll add another one [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  17. nice and compact solution - i assume you put a hole in your res side wall and stick the probe in?

• Like Like x 1
  18. #39 Han-Bolo, Jul 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    I saw those in another thread let me know how it works out ! I would need at least two by their recommendations to keep me covered.

• Like Like x 1
  19. I've got 2 more 80gph pumps I might add one more and just have one back up. Does the speed of the circulation really make that big of a difference between say 80gph and up?