Han-Bolo's 4x2 Aquaponics Extravaganza

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by Han-Bolo, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Whats up everyone!?

I decided to give aquaponics a try since I really want to get back to some form of organics.

The reservoir is a 17 gallon tote. Inside I have a small LED strip, 2 sponge filters for cleaning solids and aerating the water, and a water pump that feeds the bucket. I currently have 6 goldfish in the res.

On top of the tote is a 3.5 gallon tub that I stuck a 12in net pot in along with an air stone. The pump in the res feeds water into one side of the tub and I have a drain line that returns water at the other end. In essence it's a 15 gallon recirculating aquaponic deep water culture.

I've got it in my 4x2 under a 250w blurple I had laying around.

I just planted a Red Poison Auto that germinated a few days ago.

If anyone has any experience with aquaponics please chime in. I'm still wondering if I should add some more goldfish to the res.

20200127_164355.jpg 20200127_173538.jpg 20200127_164409.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 4
  2. Ill follow along...........Was wanting to try my hand at it in the future.:passing-joint:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Heck yeah! Welcome aboard.

4. So far so good on this little Red Poison. She appears to be nice and healthy.
    No deficiencies, very green. Sorry for the blurple photo.
    20200205_013237.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  5. Aquaponics update,

I got my starter pack with all the micro nutes in it and decided to dose my system. The red Poison in was showing an iron deficiency. I have some before and after photos of it and I can tell a difference within a few hours of treatment. It will need a day or two but I'm glad to see it bouncing back.

I added
    Soft rock phosphate
    Seaweed extract
    Potasium sulfate
    Magnesium sulfate
    Iron chelate

I also sprayed the plant with a calcium chloride solution.

It made my water dark as hell and I cant see the fish but when I fed them they came up and ate so I think they're fine lol.

I'm a little nervous as this is all new to me. I'm equally excited though lol. This starter pack is supposed to supplement alot of the micro nutes that arent available in newly set up aquaponics. It should get me through the next few months. 20200210_134911.jpg 20200210_210943.jpg

6. Hi there,

any update please ? And also, moving forward, would you please update with the number of the days since you started this grow. Ie. March 10 - 30 days from the seed ? - The reason i am asking for this is that we ( other users ) can compare our plants growth to yours in the same day ?

Best regards

DeathZone

7. Day 36

I was on vacation for a week and a friend was watching the plants. He forgot to prime the pump after a feed so the system stopped circulating and the plant was deprived of nutes for like 2 days. I had a lot of yellowing of the leaves. I fixed everything and did a pretty good sized defoliation. I'll take a better picture later but for now this one's all I got. She is flowering now and my nitrates are pretty low so I think I'm going to add a few more goldfish.

20200227_155903.jpg 20200227_155911.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. Hi.

Can you update please. I am wondering how this plant will get through this difficulties it had, and after you got rid of the most important leafs of the plant.

9. Lol, how are dying leaves the most important? Ever hear of a defoliation before?

Day 42

The plant is doing great, still some left over yellowing from the pump failure, but the buds are taking off and its showing some really cool red/purple phenos. I added a few more fish to get the nitrates up.

20200306_050800.jpg 20200306_050808.jpg 20200306_050813.jpg

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Calling this defoliation is being 100% politically correct. Yes I have heard about this @ 20 years ago.

Thank you and good luck.

11. I would call it a heavy defoliation, I usually only defoliate leaves that block off light to a larger surface area below.

12. Man, that jawn is coming along isn’t it!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Yeah this poor red poison has been the lab rat for my first run at aquaponics but she's holding up. Everything that happens with her, I address in my 8x8 before it becomes a problem. My other gals are happy as can be.
    20200304_103136.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  14. Never seen it set up like that before bud. That a flood and drain table I take it?
    Nicely done anyway.
    Will you be trying the fish tank method again? I've heard about it like but never seen anyone do it.
    I have seen a soil plant fed nothing but fish water at my mates bit though and that worked. Nothing spectacular but it worked lol.

15. Think of a creek bed with a shallow stream passing through.
    Basically I took a 4x4 kids pool, filled it with Koi, and stuck a flood table above it. I have a pump that floods one side of the table and a drain at the other end that returns it right back to the kids pool. Th drain is set at the lowest setting so the water is about 1 inch deep. When I stick my finger down the hyrdoton you can feel the water passing by. I have a canister filter in the kids pool and the hydroton in the flood table also functions as a solids filter.

It works great. I do plan on keeping the little fish tank aquaculture for future grows but I plan on re-designing it a bit for ease of maintenance.

16. Ahh that's how I grow my big ones mate.
    Nutrient film technique (NFT)
    I just balance a 4inch Rockwool on the table though. No other media other than sheet of 1mm spreader.
    Chuck a sheet of corex over the top to stop light getting in and my drain slot is in the floor so the nutes stay literally about 1mm deep.
    Pretty similar grow method I think.
    Consider me subbed man. I like your style :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Thanks dude, glad to have you along for the ride!

• Like Like x 1
  18. This little red poison is really starting to fatten up!

I have a 240w quantum board I want to replace the blurple with, I'll probably do that today.

Yall be safe out there !

-Han 20200327_044125.jpg 20200327_044153.jpg 20200327_044057.jpg