Halogen Lights as additional lighting ?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by walshy69, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Alreet folks :)

just about ready to start my 1st closet grow (cfl 125w dual spectrum) which I'll set up a journal. Done alot of reading on GC over the last few weeks so thanks for all the previous helpfull threads and posts. Apologies if I'm reposting but couldn't find answer for what I was looking for, Q..

Would using Halogen lights as an additional light source during flowering benefit or hinder ?

Before the pro's crucify me for such a noob Q please look at

Halogen light Spectrum, the Fluorescent Spectrum…

I know that the light spectrum output isn't bang on but it looks useable to a noob like me, I've found out that a halogen only produce about 16-21 lumens perr watt but untill finances allow me to add more 'proper' lights could I use the spare halogens I have around the house as additional light sources?

many thanks in advance and please be gentle

2. Halogen lights will simply burn your plants, grab a few extra CFL's if you want more light.

3. hey man i dont think it will really help out ur plant they give out more heat then they do lumens. so then u have to factor in the heat they produce compared to the lumens they give out it really isnt worth it ( to much heat and they need to be really close so u run the risk of burning ur plant)

4. I tried using a halogen on my 1st grow as supplemental light and all it did was create a shit load of extra heat. Get a few extra cfl's if you're wanting more light.

5. Thanks for replies,

sounds like its gonna be more troublesome that benefitional esp in a closet grow, but had to ask.

Cheers and happy growing :wave: