Halfway in my first grow

Discussion in 'Marijuana Grow Journals' started by KamelRedLight, May 29, 2006.

1. Heat is starting to get outta hand in there with brown spots spreading and temps staying around 90, so I added a 12v fan today, though all I could find was a 9v adapter but it's blowin pretty hard anyway. Hard enough to cut my finger when I touched it. The broken LST baby is chugging on, showing alternating nodes already. The other one isn't, yet it's bigger (even before the other one got decapitated). I think I'm gonna flower the big one while the LST one catches up. This way I'll harvest Big Mama, then 8 or so weeks later I'll harvest again (assuming I have a female), then hopefully 8 weeks later another harvest. Note to self: name the kids.

2. OH ! OH! I WANNA NAME THEM!!!:p

3. Shit, second time I made this mistake recently. I can't believe nobody corrected me. If you have too acidic a ph, the number is too low not high. Alkaline is 8.0 acidic is 4.0. All other info stands. Did the temps come down after adding the fan? Can you click some snaps of the brown spots and where they are on the plant so that I could see them? Thanks.

4. Hey again smkn. Actually, I don't know if it was just blowing more hot air at the thermometer, but right after I put the fan in the temps went up. It really isn't helping the heat much but it is keeping the humidity down to around 60% (before it was reaching the 75 range). The spots are in fact spreading to new leaves. I'm actually wondering if it could be a nute problem, because the first time they showed up after the first ever feeding, and I fed her again and the spots spread. Harvest time is coming so the feedings are over. Hopefully so are the spots. I really don't know what they are from, because if they were from nutes, why are they only around the outside of the plant near the lights? Anyway, the vertical plant went into the flowering "chamber" this morning, as it's getting too large, even in it's tiny pot. If it shows female, I'll give it a 5gal. The LST plant will stay vegging as it makes up for the part I broke off. I'll do an update tomorrow, sundays are most convenient for me. Thanks to everyone who's stopped in to see my babies! :wave:

5. If the temps went up when the fan blew than you need one that sucks the hot air out otherwise known as an exhaust fan. Then temps will come down. When you update pics, take some shots of those spots close up and from far to get a reference where they are on the plants. If you think it is from the lights then back them away from them and put the fan blowing them.

6. Day 46 of flowering
    I pointed the fan outwards so it would blow that hot air out the door, and it cooled it down 3 degrees so far, but it's still about 93 in there with it only being 86 outside. I took close ups of some spots, a shot of the set up, and a shot for reference of where they are on the plant.

Attached Files:

7. The headless one is doing fine. And then there's of course my bud shots...small but sexy.

Attached Files:

8. Hi Kamel,
    Do you have a microscope to look at the trichs? If so I would be curious to know how they are looking. I see lots of brown hairs there. They might be ready soon. I am not sure what is wrong with the plant. It looks like calcium deficient but, I can't be sure. If the trichs are almost ready I would just say to leave it alone because you want to stop feeding around 2 weeks prior to harvest.

9. All I have to inspect the trics is a magnifying glass. It still looks mostly cloudy and clear, but I don't know for sure since it's not that great a magnification. I've had brown hairs for a while now so I wasn't sure if I should go by that. I just did a ph test and its still in the 6.5-7.0 looking range. I hate comparing colors, I never know which I'm closer to.

10. Yeah, brown hairs is not a great way to identify when ready. You probably need at least 10x magnification to see the trichs. Radio Shack apparently has a microscope for like $10. I have given Stitch a link to this thread. Maybe she will respond and will know whats going on.

11. I hate comparing colors, I never know which I'm closer to.

Me too man, it's like they give you a choice between blue, blue 50, blue 49.383, light blue, and sky blue and that's for PH levels between 2 and 12. Your girls are looking mighty fine regardless :).

12. Thanks y&s. Smkn, I went and got that microscope from radioshack and damn my hands are not steady enough to use it. From the images whizzing by, it looks like no amber trics yet. The microscope smells nice now though :). I was thinking of mixing some wood ashes in there at the next watering as I hear they are a good source of calcium and phosphorus. Hopefully Stitch can give some further insight he seems very knowledgable. Thanks again for all your help you can be my first +rep.

13. Thanks for this thread. It's answered so many of my floro grow questions. Once I learn how to shrink down pictures, I'll be posting some of my own. Getting ready to flower myself. Good work and congrats on your grow. -timitsoo

14. Uploading Pictures: Before you upload pictures you need to make sure they are the correct size. To resize pictures go to Paint (loaded on with Windows) and select the picture you wish to resize. Then click "image" then "stretch Skew" and resize at 10% increments. Don't forget to hit "save". Then click the reply button at the bottom of the thread you want to load the pictures on to and go to the bottom where it says "manage attachments". You can then upload the pictures you want.

15. Did some reading on trichomes and such, couple interesting articles for ya'll.
    http://www.drugs-forum.com/growfaq/1529.htm
    http://www.hightimes.com/ht/grow/content.php?bid=385&aid=5
    Now my plant looks pretty indica to me so I'm gonna guess I should harvest around the end of this week, as some of the trics have already begun clouding over. I can't wait!!! I already sliced off a tiny bud to inspect under the microscope cuz doing it on the plant was too hard. I'm lettin it dry a bit I'll try it tomorrow after my drug class :D.

Thanks for checkin in timitsoo I'm glad my thread was helpful. I'll definitely watch your grow if you do a journal or something and donate everything I've learned.

16. I gave her the ashes for calcium as this town doesn't ever have what I need, and the nearest garden store is 2 towns over, it's hot, and I'm lazy. I will later do a dance to the nutrient gods and sacrifice that little bud at the altar of my bowl. I looked again today, and maybe it was the lighting on her, but some of those trichomes looked mighty amber. Tomorrow will be 7 full weeks from the first preflower so...tis possible. Iunno whatever I'm sick o typin.

17. Day 49 of flowering
    Yeah 60x magnification (the lowest this thing goes) is just too close for my shaky hands. I can't tell whether they're clear or amber. Based on that bud though, I'm close. I'm thinking of chopping all the top buds this weekend and letting the smaller lower ones mature more, cuz some of em don't even have brown hairs yet, while the top ones are almost all brown. It's gonna be hard finding a healthy spot to take a clone from, with all these sick leaves. Ah well. Here are my 4 biggest buds, about 1.25 inches wide each on average, and a look down below.

Attached Files:

18. Meanwhile, the kids are doing good. No flowers yet from the 4 headed beast. LST is doing its job.

Attached Files:

19. Ahhh, your plants are doing good buddy! Keep it up!:hello:

This confuses me. The pictures in your last post show a plant that's flowering that looks pretty-damned Sativa to me, but the picture of the kids you posted look pretty Indica. What's up with that?

20. Oh the flowering plant was the only seed in the bag. All three plants are from different mothers. I thought my buds were indica, especially since they're almost ready for harvest after only 7 weeks. The multi top plant I think is from some really frosty beasters, and the LST plant from just some regular good quality bud. I paid 60 bucks for the 1/8th that got me the flowering plant and it was worth it, so I'm hoping I can recreate it.