had to put down our dog today...

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by darksmoker, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Worst day in a while....my English Mastiff dog of 6 1/2 years ended up having bone cancer in his front left foot. It spread to his heart and lungs, so he was having trouble just walking across the living room without panting real hard or collapsing.

This morning we brought him to the vet. They injected him with a dosage of 300 lbs sleep medicine, but it didn't work. He didn't fall asleep. Then came the actual injection that put him down... What killed me was that he was hallucinating and crying, writhing like he was in pain, and breathing so hard and fast. He was trying to fight it.. He didn't want to die.. I looked in his open eyes while he was hallucinating, and I really wish to God I didn't. Pure panic and horror is what I saw in them. They were fixed forward and barely moving, but he was terrified.

I don't know why I posted this, but I just had to let it out....so....thanks for listening?
    And man we loved him so much he was so a member of the family. We all cried for quite a while. Looking at his lifeless body and leaving him there....felt so wrong. *sigh*

RIP Bogart :(

Attached Files:

2. hey man i know how you feel and its the worst feeling in the world to see something close to you die... you did the right thing though because if you had let it take its natural course he would hurt even worse. Just remember the good times and be happy that your dog is in a better place

3. Sorry man I know how that goes... dogs are awesome hope you can get a new buddy.

4. Oh dear :( I completely understand how you feel. When I was 16, the cat we had from the time I was born had to be put down because there was a tumor in his stomach and he was starving to death. It was extremely sad, he had absolutely no life left in him. We ended up burying him in a pet cemetery and he has flowers put down on his marker every month by the people who run the cemetery. Maybe that sounds weird to most but he was as much a part of the family as any one of us, so I can completely understand where you're coming from.

Chin up. It will get easier.

5. Great, you just made me incredibly sad, but I am high too, but really sad as well. Sorry for your loss.

6. Sorry man, I love animals and I can just imagine the pain that you felt going through that. RIP Bogart - next bowl goes to him.

7. So sorry to hear he looked like a great dog. Remember he is in a better place now and there now point in letting him suffer anymore. Its so sad to see em go, the same as a brother or sister in my eyes.:(

8. I'm really sorry for you loss. That sounds terrible. But he is smoking with the angles now :rolleyes:

9. Hey bro, I'm really sorry for your loss. I know how it is to lose a dog, and it's not fun.

Just know that you did what was best, because if you hadn't of put him to sleep, he would be much more miserable and in pain.

He's in a better place now. Next bowl is dedicated to you, and Bogart.

10. That is a sad story. I am really sorry for your loss. It is painful losing a pet, especially in a way like that. RIP Bogart

11. damn dude, sorry to hear. i've had my dog for 9 years now, and i treat him like he's my little brother. it's predicted that he's only going to live up to 10 years. :\

12. My 10yr old black lab had to be put down a couple months ago. It sucks, and i would like to imagine that my dog at least went out peacefully. I am sorry you had to watch your dog die like that....

13. Damn man, I'm sorry. I know how that feels, we've had a couple of dogs had to be put down. My lab had a tumor in his front foot and on the hardwood floors couldnt really walk, and was also 15 years old. My mom has had 2 English Mastiff's theyre great dogs, really sweet and goofy.

RIP Bogart.

14. Hey man, i have an australian shepard and shes 14. 2 weeks ago she couldnt walk and we took her to the vet. She was diagnosed with a tumor on her spleen which was cancerous. It was bleeding into her stomach but it clotted up. The cancer also spread to the lining of her stomach. The vet wanted to put her down that day but we took her home so she could have her last day. She kept improving and by the 3rd day we figured maybe we should get a second opinion. She is still alive today and they infact took her spleen out. The vet at the hospital we took her to to get her spleen removed gave her 2-6 months. She looks as great as ever and its tough knowing that even-though she is great now...that could change any day. I feel your pain man and its tough but it will get better with time.

15. english mastiffs = a super good pet/gaurd dog they super loving and they grow big

i know how it feels when pets die or get put to sleep it fucking sucks :( when my cat got hit by a car i cried :( for awhile

16. To tell you the truth, being put down through a vet is a terrible experience for the animal. I've seen many videos of animals being put to sleep fully aware of their predicament (or as aware as animals can be). It is terrifying to have your heart stop beating while you are still alive, choking for air that isn't going to be pumped to your tissues.

A shotgun shell to the head is instantaneous and painless.

17. Always sucks to lose a friend like that, I feel for ya man. Next bowl is for your pooch, may he rest in peace.

edit, To the guy above me, that's really not a necessary comment for a thread like this, have a bit of respect...

18. shotgun to the head is going to create quite a mess too... anyways, have some decency.

to OP:

made me sad to read that bud. but you know what, hes in a better place and doesnt have to suffer anymore. its all part of life my man, living things come and go, no matter how attached you are to them. its tough, and you'll always be a little sad about it, but life goes on.
    prolly havin a big ass dog party with all our other past pets right now :eek:

19. Have some decency? Are we forgetting who died or had to be put to death?

Animals shouldn't be made to suffer and I thought it was reasonable to mention a proper way of minimizing suffering. Sure, it might make the OP more saddened to know that the animal suffered, but that might mean that less animals have to be put to death in that manner.

If you are worried about making a mess over minimizing the agony of another animal, you need to prioritize some things in your life.

20. hope this makes it a little easier (not my story)

6yr olds view of a dogs life:

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a
    ten-year-old Irish Wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners,
    Ron, his wife, Lisa, and their little boy, Shane, were all very
    attached to Belker, and they were hoping for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the
    family we couldn't do anything for Belker, and offered to
    perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it
    would be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure.
    They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's
    family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog
    for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was
    going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.

The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any
    difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after
    Belker's death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal
    lives are shorter than human lives.

Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, "I know why."
    Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next
    stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation.

He said, "People are born so that they can learn how to live a
    good life — like loving everybody all the time and being nice,
    right?" The six-year-old continued, "Well, dogs already know how
    to do that, so they don't have to stay as long."

Live simply.
    Love generously.
    Care deeply.
    Speak kindly.

Remember, if a dog was the teacher you would learn things like:

When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.
    Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.
    Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure ecstasy.
    Take naps.
    Stretch before rising.
    Run, romp, and play daily.
    Thrive on attention and let people touch you.
    Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.
    On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass.
    On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree.
    When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body.
    Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.
    Eat with gusto and enthusiasm. Stop when you have had enough.
    Be loyal. Never pretend to be something you're not.
    If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.
    When someone is having a bad day, be silent,
    sit close by and nuzzle them gently.